Anyone using a graphic equalizer anymore ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Henry J, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I got you. I saw the manual and it has the processor in and out. I'm not sure if I wanna blow another grand...:sweating: I'm just using this station for cassette/reel recording with monitor playback.
    with another old-school receiver is out of the question for I don't wanna end up screw-drivering an amp instead of recording atleast 1-c90 a day.
    ... Okay man... I spill it out for you. I'm ambitioning and gearing up to buy another 300b 2 mono block with 6 pack per side. This is probably the very first one and I know its gonna hit me hard in money. I been preparing.:biglaugh:

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

3. Classic Car Guy

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. Classic Car Guy

That makes a lot of sense and I'm not going to that journey. Guess what? 2 weeks ago I just got my Perreaux 100 watts per channel mosfet amp and its fully recapped now (old picture below). Forget the receiver.
    I have a very good solution but I may need your help if you can find me en excellent "tube preamp" with tape monitor. I can probably deal with the AS SP8 or SP9 but depending on how well and fresh the circuit inside. (No offense to anyone but I'm not gonna buy a dynaco pas. Its just a personal preference)
    I know you guys have a lot of nice preamp in Europe. This amp is a big part of my future plans and I can spend $1,700.00 for an excellent one. Let me know. Thanks,,,,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    cjc and The Pinhead like this.
  5. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I used to have a graphic equalizer I purchased from Radio Shack in the 80’s. I wasn’t very experienced with sound but I knew what one could do with an equalizer. I tried all types of positions, sometimes just fooling around. That’s how I began to learn about music.

When I was done experimenting and got serious I ended up with the switches in a pyramid shape. I had the low frequencies at or a little below zero. From there it was an almost straight, angled line to a point a few integers below the top level for the mid range. The positions of the other points from the low end to the mid range fell pretty much within that line. From that point, the high setting of the mid range which was a few integers below max, the setting began to fall off as I moved toward the higher frequencies. This drop from mid range to the high end was slower than the rise from the low frequencies to the mid range. And the high end stopped a few integers above zero.

I didn’t have any technical tool, I simply changed each position slowly while I would move around the listening room. That took some time. But it wasn’t boring. At least I wasn’t bored.

After I knew what positions produced the sound I preferred I would occasionally experiment with different settings. I learned that dropping the high end killed a good bit if the tape hiss, but also cut the high end itself. IE, cymbals had a dull sound. I did the same with low frequencies, mid range, etc. But I always knew the settings I preferred.

To be honest, I miss the equalizer. I don’t think I need it in my present listening room, but it was fun to use.

fogalu and aorecords like this.
  6. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

EQs need to come back IMHO

they should be standard in DACs at least.
    Now that we found out that room treatments don’t really do much for low bass.

fogalu, The Pinhead and Lenny99 like this.
  7. I use one for live bootlegs,many a time because of the recording limitations frequencies need a tweak,its a Onkyo with 2 inputs,bootlegs are played from a Pioneer Minidisc player,my rarely used cd player is connected up to the 2nd input,oddly with the unit turned off and used just as a pass through switch the cds have lost their dryness.
    I can only put it down to a signal degradation and scruffing up of the sound though they do sound better to me.
    Its connected to my pre amps tape loop............................tape loops,how civilisation has gone backwards due to the redundancy of them.

dh_carquinez and The Pinhead like this.
  8. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

U can find a good used one: on line, at used thrift shops, etc. As always ur taking a chance. I think u have to be sure it will fit in ur system. Can u hook it up to ur amp?

9. Classic Car Guy

I'm not really sure how good are the new EQ comparing to the top notch old-schools especially if they are totally rebuilt. I mean how much true analog EQ band control can you add in a DAC unit? Honestly I hardly turn on my DAC or streamer because I'm running all high fidelity magnetic recordings. Maybe about 2 days out of 30. I just scope the new music and start recordings at nights. I pretty much set it like almost on the fly.

10. The Pinhead

Rotel's 1572 int. amp lost the pre out amp IN its former incarnation, the 1570, featured. Bummer, as it was in my list.

11. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

Those of you on vinyl are listening to a tone altered circuit and may not even know it.

fogalu and The Pinhead like this.
  12. The Pinhead

Yes indeed. The RIIA curve is a reversed (albeit fixed) equalization; one at the mastering stage, and another on the playback chain.

fogalu likes this.
  13. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

I always found the use of stand alone EQ's where home audio is concerned a little funny cause I see it as a tool that is used to shape a room for live performances only. The music whatever media you use was eq'd in the studio when it was being recorded.

Feel the same way about Bass, Mid's and treble pot's on components my pre-amp does not have any, the sources ( streamer, CD player, Receiver which is used as a tuner only ) are all going straight through my preamp to the power amp than to the speakers the the high mids and bass separated by the dac's and speakers

14. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Stopped using GRAPHIC equalizers years ago. Way too much effort to setup/tune to the room. Pretty much listen “flat” these days.
    I do have a 4 band parametric EQ which I use for recording purposes only.
    The big secret to using an EQ?
    Never add, always subtract!

The Green Elf likes this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yes, I think you'll want to consider a patch bay with the Yamaha; odd that it would have the jacks as if it came with a tape monitor but then omits the tape monitor switch. Well, my Bel Canto does something similar. With a switch box/patch bay, one approach is to connect all your outboard devices to its inputs, then put the EQ between the box/bay's output and a line input on your integrated amp. Play everything through that input and switch between sources with the box/bay.

I hope that helps!

The Pinhead and Classic Car Guy like this.
  16. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Yes, a guy recently bought a
    PIONEER SG9800 Graphic Equalizer off me.
    A beautiful looking unit, however I'm running out of space.
    I'm content running my music through a Mixer with Low, Mid & High EQ knobs.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

Cool... I think I'll buy a router / switcher that's totally passive. Its been a while when I messed with patchbay. That was 1996 an I just did it for studio recording pro audio. After that it was all hi-fi with tape monitor. I think Ill try the dbx 200 see if that works...
    Thanks,..
    This 32 band EQ that I bought is exactly what I have in my playback music room. I love the sound of that EQ. Not too long ago I actually recapped all those units. I just checked today that I have an extra parts to completely recap those incoming EQ. I just hope there is no issue with the unit.

18. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Perreaux makes some wonderful preamps too.....been enjoying a Perreaux SA2 Dual Channel Class A for many years.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  19. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Have a ADC Model SS-115 that I use often for that little tweak so often needed on poorly recorded formats (both LP and CD).
    Since I listen with mostly headphones, adjusting the sliders is often an easy, quick task.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yes, nobody has a "perfect" setup (or hearing,) I read many reviews before adding the Loki to my system, and it works nicely. I gives me the ability to
    adjust the sound from sources that are (also,) not "perfect". - I can adjust the sound so it is "perfect" for me. And that is the most important thing. :agree::laugh:

21. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

I have a couple of 15 band stereo ones but only use them for remastering old concert tapes or toning down some overly bright CDs.
    Don't use any on my regular listening systems since I've added subwoofers, I can get the low end without the mid-bass hump that was common.
    I use one all the time on my guitar.

22. Classic Car Guy

Finally I got one. I'm hoping this is a passive. (Non electronic conjunction) But with this routing, it should be able to do anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

The dream finally came through. This set has a power light indicator not like he other one I posted. I wonder if this was an add on or revised edition in 1980. Never the less, everything works.. and I finally got a dbx router so I can add my external 10 inch VU meter and reel to reel. I cant believe it. The router was sealed brand new in the box.

[​IMG]

24. terry toww

terry toww Forum Resident

Wow - great kit! What approx did the gear set you back?

25. Classic Car Guy

Its perfect for sound separation, more detailed within the area or frequency range of your system. My cassette deck, reel to reel and amp is within the hi and low range of this unit and it works perfect. Adding the router, I can blend the eq and expander at any given time to all of my muic source.
    I started with the 10 and 15 band years ago and it was already excellent. When I got my first pair of the 1/3 octave eq, that was to the next level. I want to have the same setup in my recording studio and living room and it was a blessing to get this. I waited for it for almost 3 to 4 years till I found a good one. This is on its way to be fully overhauled and recapped.
    I'm pretty sure there are other high quality EQ out there, the only reason why I chose this is my experience with it through the test of time.

The Pinhead likes this.