Anyone using Apple AirPods?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Just bought a pair of AirPods today and looking forward to using them (iPhone X + Apple Music).

coffeetime, Galley and mj_patrick like this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My in-laws gave me AirPods as a gift and I love them, but almost never use them for listening to music. I'm a heavy listener of podcasts and audiobooks and they're perfect for that, in part because of extreme leakage that lets in outside sound and noise, so when I'm on a long dog walk or doing the dishes I can hear and respond to what's going on around me. Two quick taps puts them on pause and I can have a conversation without taking them out. Two quick taps and the playback resumes. Also nice watching movies on an iOS device in bed without a tangle of headphone wires.

Decent clarify, balance, and midrange for casual music listening but the leakage and loose fit means anemic bass and sub-hi-fi sound quality.

coffeetime and Joe Spivey like this.
  3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

For roughly the same money, would you recommend these or the $150 wireless Beats ear buds? Primary use would be on the train or gym.

4. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

The PowerBeats3 (the pair I've been using all this time) has better isolation for commuting on the train. Also, I'd assume the PowerBeats3 would stay in your ear during a workout a little more securely. I've never tried any other Beats phones.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yeah, the AirPods basically suck on the train/airplane. For that, I got these: Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning-Powered Earphones

They have active noise cancellation - no battery required, as they are powered via the Lightning port.

Ignominious likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ya, I use my Beats on a plane, but are too big for the Gym. I use Apple phones for that.

Haven't heard the AirPods yet

7. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

I love my AirPods! Sound wise, they aren’t going to knock your socks off, but they sound good enough to be enjoyable. They are an absolute joy to use. So easy to set up, music automatically starts and stops when you put the AirPods in your ears or take one or both out, no wires to get tangled up. When you open the case near your phone a widget automatically pops up to show you the battery status of the AirPods and the AirPod case. The case also feels way more substantial than I expected. It has a good heft to it and has a satisfying snap when you close the lid. They actually fit my ears perfectly. I can jump up and down and shake my head, and the AirPods stay perfectly in place.

All in all, a brilliant solution to removing the 3.5mm jack from the iPhone in my opinion. It is amazing to look at the size of these things and realize there is a battery in there that can give you 5 hours of listening time. Incredible!

8. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Anyone here have a pair of temperamental Air Pods? I have been experiencing weird power failures as of late. Here is an example.

My case is 100% charged, or even 50%, as it shouldn't matter. They Pods will be in the case overnight. Supposedly it only takes 15 minutes of being in the case to be charged for 3 hours of playing time. I put one in my right ear and hear a tone that says it is basically out of juice. But the Left Pod is 100%. When I finally get the screen to appear on my phone that shows when you have the case open, that too is temperamental, it may show 2 or 5 or 7% power on the Right Pod.

Needless to say this always happens when I want to take a walk outside, yes the weather has finally gotten to the point where this is possible, or when I'm on my way to run on the treadmill or do the elliptical.

However, other times they work fine. And what is really bizarre is that the juice will sometimes start to rise as I am using them even when the Right channel was almost depleted. Without being in the case outside of putting them in and out to try and get a reading on my phone. Lately it has been the Right giving me trouble but in the not too distant past I believe I was having similar trouble in the Left.

Also, my volume level sometimes decreases dramatically during a workout and sometimes the Right channel will drop out completely. And I believe this is also sometimes creates another problem which is my Apple Music cutting off unexpectedly. No reason for it as the Wi Fi signal is strong.

Thanks for any advice. I'm going to Apple Store now and think I am going to ask for a new set.

9. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

That is very strange. I’ve never experienced anything like that with my AirPods. I’m curious to hear what the Apple store has to say. The only thing I can think of is to make sure you have the latest firmware, but I doubt that is what’s causing your problems. Good luck!

10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I'm toying with AirPods for Audible audiobook listening in bed. My usual music headphones (BOSE QC25 & QC30) are difficult to wear in bed with my head on the pillow, whilst they're fine for work & lunchtimes walk use where the noise cancelling is needed most.

I've been using the wired EarPods for audiobooks for the past few nights, no noise isolation needed and only listening to audiobooks & podcasts at very low listening levels (first time I've used any Apple packed in earphones since my iPod Photo in 2004). Excepting the nuisance of the cable, the pods themselves have been comfortable and the sound good enough. Also like being able to move my head around without having to consider over ear cans & neck bands in bed.

How have you found them over the past few months? Still worthy of a purchase/consideration or have any niggles come to light?

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I still love 'em. The main limitation for listening in bed is that they fit so loosely that they're guaranteed to fall out if you try to wear them while turning over, laying on your side, etc. as you fall asleep. Sort of a wide awake only situation.

If you're a big audiobook/podcast listener in various settings or watch TV/movies on phone/tablet or do hands-free phone calls and turn-by-turn navigation via phone map apps while driving, they're just great. They've spoiled me for using wired phones except when I want hi-fi sound for music or need noise-cancelling.

coffeetime likes this.
  12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Consider them sold then :righton: Will see if there is a new version at Wednesday's event; a Qi charging case is rumoured, which I have for my iPhone X. They do sound to be just the ticket for late night listening when comfort & convenience trump sound quality. I've been fortunate with the wired EarPods so far that they've not fallen out once despite moving my head around on my pillow, so this bodes well for the AirPods.

Will see what Wednesday's event brings, but if nothing new is touted then `I'll get the current AirPods on Thursday.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Love mine for phone calls, but I don't play music on them. I don't use them for exercise because I'm a cyclist and I don't ride plugged in.

RolandG likes this.
  14. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I do, but I only wear the right one. I have never had it fall out, even at speeds approaching 30 mph!

15. Josquin des Prez

I won't wear earbuds while riding. I ride public roads with traffic and it's too dangerous to be plugged in. I need to have full situational awareness. I also won't ride in group with others who are plugged in. I stopped doing BikeMS for that reason. I don't see a reason for earbuds while riding anyway.

wgriel, Billy Infinity and RolandG like this.
  16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I finally splurged and got some AirPods this evening after work. Colour me impressed! Whilst they don't measure up to my beloved Bose QC30 and QC25s for music listening, they are fantastic for both podcasts and Audible listening. Like the EarPods before them , they'll likely get used for late night, low volume music listening when in bed. I'm planning an early night with an audiobook to put them through their paces but I can already tell they'll be just as comfortable as the wired EarPods but with no trailing wires. Unlike some reviewers, the EarPods/airpods seem to fit my ears perfectly.

And the case? I've not had so much satisfaction from flicking something open and closed again since using a Zippo back before I gave up the ciggies. truly a fidget spinner for the tech obsessed.

Appreciate all the opinions from everyone who took the time to share their thoughts. I'd like you all to know that you're a bad influence on me and that my wife disapproves of the ease with which you've all led me astray ;)

sunspot42, sharedon, Galley and 2 others like this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

airpods are great...one of apple's better new devices.

careful if you're flying. i leaned my head against the window/wall on a cross-atlantic flight and it fell out of my ear, down the side of the chair into a metal chair rail. a pain in the ass to fish out...i had to lay on the floor to get it!

sunspot42, sharedon, Galley and 2 others like this.
  18. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Exactly the same thing happened to myself. Thankfully mine ended up on the floor of the seat behind me, think I’ll be sticking with my over ear cans on my next long haul.

james likes this.
  19. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I channel surfed across a skateboard deal. One guy was wearing AirPods. Unreal.

20. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

Never got the wired apple earphones to work, fit or sound quality. Question, are these completely different with those issues?

21. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The AirPods fit is pretty close to EarPods. Slight difference with no trailing cable to catch or drag the AirPods themselves out. The longer stems seem to press ever so slightly again the top of my jawline, which helps keep them in.

The Airpods themselves otherwise fit (or don't) as per the EarPods.

Sound quality. Better than the EarPods but not by much; if you've had serious issues with the physical fit of the EarPods themselves in your ears, Airpods will likely have the same. They aremore than good enough fsound quality wise for audiobooks or talk radio, and reasonably ok for music. If you've ever listened to half decent headphones or earphones before, you'll immediately hear the step down in reproduction with Airpods. You can get better sound for the same money. What you won't get is the fantastic convenience and engineering.

I bought my own pair last night. I've been used to noise cancelling headphones/earphones and have taken to removing one of the buds when I can see when someone is trying to talk to me (usually my wife). With Airpods I can hear outside environmental noise when using them. Hearing my wife talk to me, I reflexively removed and Airpod. And my audiobook paused. I knew about this but had forgotten in the moment. Made me smile at the thought that had been put into the product. Conversation concluded, I put the AirPods back in and the audiobook carried on seamlessly.

No, Airpods are not the last word in sound quality, far from it. They may not be the last word in comfort, or even suit some people's outer ear shape at all. The engineering and simplcity of the experience - not having to turn them off, just return them to the case where they disconnect from my iOS devices and start charging. Someone has put some very serious though as to how these will be used and what might make life simplest for their owners.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’ve bruised my ears trying to get them to stay in.

23. Josquin des Prez

Std Apple earphones never worked for me. The Airpods stay in my ears. However, I am not physically active wearing them. I use them mostly for phone calls when I'm at my desk. The fit is different though.

coffeetime likes this.
  24. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I use (basic) Apple buds with My cheapo Moto G5 and sound Great..but alayal falling out.. over the Ear cans for me I think.. .

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Just got my pair today!

coffeetime, Billy Infinity and SamS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.