Anyone Who Likes The Blues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by srigby, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srigby

srigby Active Member Thread Starter

I hope I am not posting old information but recently I came across a Blues label called Alligator Records. They have a bunch of great Blues Compilation CD's the sell for $7.98 ea and that includes the shipping. These CD's are great. www.alligator.com

Scott

2. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Call it blasphemy but when it comes to blues I'm a Canned Heat kinda guy. My blues collection consists of the CH double cd set and an old 78 by Big Bill Broonzy.

A few weeks ago I was in Link Wray's hometown of Dunn NC and I stopped in a recording studio (OZ Music) and one of the head honchos there gave me a CD by a guy named Bill Lyerly. He used to play many years ago in my area but I had not heard of him in a long time. The CD is called Motel Room Blues by The Bill Lyerly Band. I was somewhat doubtful the CD would be good but when I got home and played it I was in for a pleasant surprise. If you like modern style electric blues try to get a copy of this (it isn't SRV clone stuff either). One really standout track is Crazy, Lonesome and Blue, but the rest are great too. He uses a PRS guitar through a Matchless amp. Bitchin'! (he may have a website?)

3. mazort

mazort New Member

SRV

As Mr Tejas (how bizarre, I know) running with this crowd, I feel a few words are in order about the magnificent blues guitarist from the Lone Star State that I totally dug and will always miss - Stevie Ray VaughAn.

A high school acquaintance of mine (Richard Mullins) who was in a band with one of my best buddies did the engineering on most of the albums, I'm proud to say...

But I really dug SRV's guitar playing and singing, no matter where he was from.

4. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Mazort, I was referring to Stevie Ray copycats and was trying to make the case BL wasn't copying SRV's style as many try to do. I probably could have worded that line a little better. I have Stevie's In Step, he was one helluva player.

edited 'I may could have' out because my wife spazzed over me butchering proper english. LOL

5. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Re: SRV

V-a-u-g-h-a-n

6. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Thank you Patrick. If you're a fan, you're obligated to spell it right: with an "A". No bootleg spellings please !

-Best - ED:)

7. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

8. mazort

mazort New Member

Spelink

Fans of B.B. King and Buddy Guy have an easier time in the spelling dept, IMO.

9. mazort

mazort New Member

10. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Now that's pathetic ! Not only are we missing the "A" but most of the links don't even connect. I found it amusing that author says that SRV "created" songs like Texas Flood and The Sky Is Crying. Last time I checked I thought Larry Davis and Elmore James were the originators of those fine tunes.

Best - ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.