AP UHQR Jethro Tull Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, May 4, 2019.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Michael Fremer had raved about the Classic Records reissue. I asked him about it.

"Was cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman's at the same time he cut this 45rpm version. Yes the Classic version is outstanding and this sounds somewhat better because of the higher speed, the Clarity Vinyl and the hand pressing..... but if you have the Classic I'd say you are all set."

Then I'm all set. :D

Twinsfan007 and Kimiimacman like this.
  2. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Exactly. Nailed it

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Lucca90 and AaronW like this.
  4. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

I get the gripes here that people are having but i don't own the Classics Deja Vu or the LZ road case or a bunch of others that go for outrageous markups from, in my opinion, vultures. So if Chad wants to repress any of those and put it in fancy boxes, hand press them, tweak them to be even a little better and call it UHQR I will be right there with my wallet to purchase them. It will certainly save me a ton of money down the road.

I mean, as someone said in a comment to Fremer, he didnt buy Hobson's Classics company just to look at them.

5. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Because I was loaned a copy by a friend at the time

Diskhound likes this.
  6. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Yes I would have only been tempted if Mikey had said this one smoked the 33 Classic, clearly not the case it seems. My two favourite albums of all time are this and Axis so I had to have that one which of course is NOT a repress of a previous Classic and mighty fine it is too, easily outclassing my UK stereo original (though it still has much charm with its period eq choices) but I’m not interested in an of these that I have the Classic of unless they’re are fresh cuts, regardless of price. That will include the LZ albums especially as the Classics are no equal to the U.K. originals of which I have them all. A work colleague loaned me the lot and I pretty much hated them bar LZ1

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Zep Road Case redone...now that would be the sweetest.

$1500 easy.

And we would pay it.

And more.

And it aint gonna happen.

And we know it.

:D

scotti likes this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm still on the fence with this one...I don't have the previous Classic (33rpm), but I did hear it on my system a few years back. I remember it being a tad bass light.

I really don't care for all this 45rpm nonsense either (by the way). I'm getting cranky in my old age. :D

PoeRaider likes this.
  9. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Yup. That makes sense. There were some who found their copies a little noisy. Guess I got lucky.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  10. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Maybe not the same presentation as that but could they do them each separately....I dont think that is anywhere near out of the question.

One thing he is not is stupid. If he sees the Tull selling or selling out, why wouldn't he entertain doing this with other past titles.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I would think that he would still need permission from Led and Lawyers Inc.?

12. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

[
    I would assume that as well

13. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I like Aqualung but not a diehard fan, and I reach for the Wilson mix generally when I want to hear this one. So I'll be hanging out on the fence for now. It does seem AP should be more upfront with disclosure of where this is coming from tho. Not the end of the world, but most people probably expect a totally fresh take when they order a UHQR.

Now if they were to press the Classic Zep's like this, there is just no way I could resist that.

14. orodreth

orodreth Well-Known Member

Don't have a copy of Aqualung, and just ordered it from DV too.

Joti Cover likes this.
  15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Here’s my take. I’ve long had a theory that these UHQRs may be a repressing campaign of the Classic catalog. More and more it’s looking like maybe it is. Maybe it should have been disclosed up front but they do admit this is the Bellman master from the Classic reissue.

All is not lost. The UHQR is still a premium product, hand pressed on a special vinyl formulation and packaged as such. Classic had terrible quality control which eventually turned me off. They had some awesome titles and great mastering though.

I don’t think any new remaster would likely beat many of them. Keep doing up the Classic catalog right and I’m on board. If Chad wants, he can even call it UHQR. It’s his baby now.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It is, but that is in the master tapes. Steve Hoffman boosted the bass up for the DCC, reportedly.

But I'll tell ya, listening to the Classic, it has the openness immediacy of master tapes.

17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

It could happen. Bring 'em all back as separate 45rpm releases in Chad's fancy-schmancy UHQR boxes and I and thousands of others will scarf up the entire pressing within dayz (if not hours) of announcement. :thumbsup:

Stencil, Twinsfan007 and sonofjim like this.
  18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Very much agree.

I think he could sell each as a 45 rpm UHQR like hot cakes. He could even offer a custom road case fashioned to store all the UHQRs. I’d buy that too. It would be a pricey package but a bit easier to swallow piecemeal.

Total dreaming, I know, and yet there’s no way it wouldn’t work.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Twinsfan007 likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Guys, Zeppelin is not happening. But I share in your dreams!

sonofjim, Twinsfan007 and japhyman like this.
  20. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Anybody have the Classic Records, CSNY- DejaVu? Is it 33rpm only, 1 lp? If it wasn't would they attempt to do a 45rpm, 2lps? If I remember correctly, correct me if I'm not, didn't it sound like a towel was covering the speakers?

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  21. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu

22. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

23. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't get or agree that this UHQR line is a repressing campaign from the Classic catalogue. It may well turn out to be, we don't know.

This is the first [#3 in the line] that seemingly is from that back catalogue. So "more and more" is a little off, for me at least.

The first two are Hendrix and they are fresh new Bernie Grundman cuts, as of now I have yet to see even if this is or is not from the same mastering that CB did a number of years ago. But even if it is, like you I'm happy to pick this one up.

I like the UHQR line, I like Chris Bellman's work, I like these are not being churned out or have increased pressing number's. A nice indication of consideration towards the paying customer and the artist/title.

scotti likes this.
  24. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I have a test pressing CR on Clarity vynil of Hendrix Axis bold as love,and it plays exactly the UHQR version.

25. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Really? It's a different mastering by Bernie Grundman for the UHQR and the 2000 Clarity TP you have.

They sound a whole lot different.