AP UHQR - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Oct 21, 2020.

1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Wasn’t there a thread on the UHQR reissue of Aqualung?

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think you need to do a favor for your politicians.

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’ve heard every 80s cut?

5. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Not really, the last UHQR cost 50$ to ship, that was the cheap option, which is ridiculous. Ive ordered lots of stuff from the US tracked for 23$. Then because its worth so much and the shipping option is so delux you have to pay import tax which is another 50$ that can be mostly avoided if they could just simply get a cheaper shipping option.

latheofheaven and eddiel like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

No worries. I’d had a couple of Scotches so probably should have been clearer :nyah:

I’ve not heard the Classic, but from all reports, they sound great! Now, to decide 33 or 45?!

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If you can find an 80s cut of KOB sounds superior to a properly executed audiophile release, feel free to bring it up.

9. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Admittedly it was probably from the early ‘90s, but Sterling Sound mastered an absolutely sensational reissue that I think beats the pants off the Classic and even more so the MoFi. It seems to get lost to time and the argument between originals and “audiophile” reissues, but I think I paid twenty bucks for a mint copy in shrink a couple of years ago. I have several copies of KoB including the MoFi and Classic 33, but I always reach for that Sterling Sound cut or my old ‘70s reissue.

No thanks on this KoB. The Classic is good but this is silly using previous stampers and charging what MoFi charge for a newly mastered One-Step.

kt66brooklyn and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

If Chad is simply going through the Classic Records stampers, perhaps he could do some of the unreleased 45 RPM cuts of Who albums.
    I was joking.

11. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Here's a question - I think this album was recorded on three-track. Have the raw three-track recordings been made available as 3.0 surround?

12. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

:uhhuh:

latheofheaven and ausamerika like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Pressed differently and a variation on the vinyl used. If that does not bring enough of a difference to the table for you, go right ahead and over pay for a Classic and fingers crossed its a good pressing!

Nope, the Hendrix pair that preceded Aqualung are not Classic stampers!

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

This is true in my experience, I've found one stereo six-eye for every five monos.

15. Strat-Mangler

If you could post its matrix info, I'd be interested in checking it out. If you could describe how it sounds better, that'd be equally appreciated. :)

As for whether it's silly or not to charge this much for reusing mothers or stampers is a bit of a pointless debate. The choices are either to buy a CR release or to get the much cheaper UHQR if one wishes to own that specific mastering. That's what it comes down to.

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

This is the one.
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

After the dreadful "digitally remastered" '80s reissues, Columbia did a bunch of fantastic Miles reissues mostly cut at Sterling Sound in the mid '90s. They are all really good but Kind Of Blue was sensational. It has superb tonality with fantastic balance and a strong stereo image, plus all of the dynamic attributes I associate with this recording. It probably flew under the radar at the time because CD was "king," but it is betters my '70s reissue and is infinitely better than the MoFi, IMO.

latheofheaven and Strat-Mangler like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I already have the Classic 33. I've owned the 2x45rpm with the bonus track as well but sold it years ago as it sounded very similar to the 33 to my ears. My 33 is the 200 gram and thankfully was quiet as a mouse, but I don't hold the Classic remix in that high of regard in the first place, so the notion of getting it on theoretically "better" vinyl doesn't move the needle much. Maybe I'll change my mind, who knows.....

Anyway, your comments read like you work at AS. No insult was intended, I almost always love your product. I just don't think reusing Classic stampers and charging the same price as what MoFi charges for a freshly done One-Step is a particularly attractive concept. Surely others will feel differently.

latheofheaven, dman23 and Kimiimacman like this.
  19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

XSM 47326-1C SS
    XSM 47327-1C SS

20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

No, I certainly don't work for or at AS!

There is also the cost of the licence, somethings never change but when they do maybe not always in a good way!

Sure, reusing Classic plates does cut corners and costs though maybe not to the degree we may think.

21. djost

djost Hyperactive!

When I first read this post, I thought Carole King Tapestry was kind of a tongue in check comment. But, I actually like Tapestry and missed the Classic Records 45rpm release. So, I wouldn't mind if this happened. Willie Nelson Stardust is another Classic Records 45rpm that I wouldn't mind released as a UHQR 45rpm.

ausamerika and kt66brooklyn like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Yeah, there's something amiss because there should be a "STERLING" stamp if that would be the case but it isn't there so my guess is it wasn't done at Sterling which doesn't mean it doesn't sound good; just that it was mastered somewhere else.

latheofheaven and AaronW like this.
  23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

It is already slated to come out as a One-Step. This is from one of my Music Direct Orders:
    Muddy Waters - Folk Singer (Lmt Ed UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm Vinyl 2LP Box Set)
    LMFUD1S023
    Backordered 1 $124.99

24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

SS = Sterling Sound. I think in the '90s they stopped using the "Sterling" stamp.

Anyway, Columbia reissued a bunch and most or maybe even all were done at Sterling.

They were straight reissues with no added info on the covers, but when they did Sorcerer in 1994 Columbia even started hyping the analog master sourcing.....

[​IMG]

'Sorcerer' has the appropriate Sterling credit on Discogs and the same "SS" in the runouts with no Sterling stamp....

Miles Davis - Sorcerer

25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member