Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Good thing for me I didn't say that.

2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I would figure a lot of people would consider White Album his coming out party, as WMGGW is considered one of his finest moments

3. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Here Comes The Sun’s brilliance as an everlasting composition and recording is being revealed in its popularity.

It’s “Beatles” but not attached to Beatle-ness like early Beatles.

It is universal in its sentiment, but it isn’t anthemic (which have proven to have a bit of a shelf live, a la Stairway, Free Bird (which is now simply a punchline).

It is filled with an optimism borne out of skepticism.

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
    Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun (doo doo doo)
    Here comes the sun, and I say, it’s alright

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
    Here comes the sun
    Here comes the sun, and I say
    It's all right

A song of hope that has empathy and invites the listener as a confidante (little darling). Could be a kid, a teenager, a lover, a best friend. No wonder it holds up so well. With a timeless arrangement, performance and recording to boot.
    George would be rightly proud of this achievement in 2020. Ringo and Paul should feel the same as their performances are enormous and downright emotional (drums, bass, harmonies....).

It’s one of the greats....

4. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I'm not saying you did. Just clarifying.

Sure, but most people aren't singing high praises about his other songs on The White Album. Abbey Road is when he truly becomes "worthy".

5. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

It's a great song. Every time I hear it makes me feel great. It probably has the same effect on people younger than me, millennial or whatever. What's the problem again?

boggs, Carl Swanson and Greenalishi like this.
  6. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

[​IMG]

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Tomorrow never knows... :shrug:

msza likes this.
  8. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

"Here Comes the Sun" was the first full song I learned to play on guitar when I was 16.

9. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

Boomers saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan...apparently they are a "game changer"

10. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

It's my GF favorite song and she's the same age as me.

11. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Early Rod Stewart vocals (and then some)

[​IMG]

12. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

I've never understood this. I think the reason is that over time, the "classic songs" change. Crazy Train, Bennie & The Jets and Purple Haze were all not hits but over time they became more well known. I think that is happening for Here Comes The Sun. If you asked a millennial to name 3 Beatles songs they would likely answer Come Together, Hey Jude and Here Comes The Sun. I think it is just a generational thing. Another song I think this is happening to is Smokin' by Boston. Due to use in TV, movies and most importantly video games(In particular GTA) it has risen in popularity over the last decade.

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

How is that "Reason To Believe" box?

14. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Agreed, but the biggest single factor is that mood playlists are more popular than albums on streaming services. Streaming changes the way people listen to music.

Instead of listening to a single artist or single album they instead pick a mood they are in and let the algorithms feed them an assortment of songs from many different bands all of which they know and love. And in that context you can envision a song like Here Comes The Sun or Benny And The Jets being placed in many playlists that fit the moods of many listeners. Up-tempo, acoustic or piano flavored, not too heavy not too light, a great song but not an over played smash hit, Ed Sheeran music from decades ago, if you will.

smoke and DK Pete like this.
  15. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Here Comes the Sun is also hugely popular on Youtube, their most popular song when Apple uploaded all the Beatles discography songs 2 years ago.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC2XdaAVUannpujzv32jcouQ/videos/mostviewed

Personally it is not my favourite Beatle song, probably not in my top 25, but it is undeniably very, very popular especially among millennials whose demographic dictates these streaming platforms.

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I never heard of a song called "Crazy Train". By whom?

Also, err... "Bennie and the Jets" was a huge hit in many countries including the USA and Canada. It's not a "deep cut".

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. More Than A Feeling

But it was first released as a B-side where it did not do good. And I was referring to Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne which never charted.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

American boomers, just to clarify.

nikh33 likes this.
  19. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

While I get the points about the "Mood" playlists, I think the song (along with "Come Together") is so popular with millennials because of a combination of its inherent quality and its relative timelessness (in the sense of not being either mop-top pop or obviously psychedelic in the 1967 manner). I think generally, younger generations perceive music of the later '60s and early '70s to be a little closer to what they perceive as "cool." I would imagine that they would also prefer the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" (and the bigger songs from that '68-'71 period) to their earlier material for similar reasons.

schnitzerphilip and Arthur Pewty like this.
  20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Well, since I have never heard OF this song, let alone heard it, I'm a bit bemused by your claim that it's now considered a "classic" song. Maybe among fans of the artist, that would be all. Unlike for example Purple Haze, which is instantly recognisable to just about anyone of my age, even people like myself who are not really fans of Hendrix.

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I'm a Boomer and I didn't see The Beatles on Ed Sullivan

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

What were you doing that night...??;)

Davido likes this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Benny (or Bennie) and the Jets" wasn't a hit? It only hit #1 on the US Billboard and Cashbox charts, as well as #15 on Billboards R&B charts, #1 in Canada, # 18 in Ireland, #13 in New Zealand, and certified Silver in the UK. Definitely a song that wasn't well known at the time of its release o_O

EDITED to add: I see @bob_32_116 beat me to it. :)

But, for what it's worth, "Bennie" was an A Side in the US and Canada.

24. More Than A Feeling

Crazy Train was ranked number 17 in Ultimate Classic Rock's 100 greatest classic rock songs. VH1 ranked it the 23rd greatest hard rock song ever. How have you never heard of it.

25. More Than A Feeling

That was when it was re released as a single months after being a B-side