Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

HCTS *is* timeless so you nailed that much...far as the rest of what you say...ummm...yea, ok:rolleyes:

BluesOvertookMe and NunoBento like this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

No, but it sure as hell blows away Old Brown Shoe.

3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

What I'm saying is that while it's a great song, Here Comes The Sun has an added bonus in that it ticks streaming boxes that no other Beatles song can. It sounds very contemporary, it is in an acoustic vein, its positive, and it has a very universal meaning.

Remember, streaming isn't about albums. It's about playlists-by-mood. Here Comes The Sun fits perfectly on some of the most visited playlists like Acoustic Love, Totally Stress Free, Relax & Unwind, Have A Great Day!, Wake Up Happy!, Your Favorite Coffee House, and on and on.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

"It's great, it sold, it's bloody 'Here comes the sun.' Shut up!" George Harrison, probably

ARK, linklinc and HaileyMcComet like this.
  5. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Here Comes The Sun is meteorological.

6. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Precisely.

7. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

I just got word that 'What Goes On' is officially considered the most popular Beatles song with millennials now. Sorry HCTS

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

A daily occurrence by which we measure our own existence. Or so they say.

edrebber likes this.
  9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

That is strange. I would think Blackbird would be the most streamed song.

10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Too bad that George is not around to know about this.

He might have a good laugh to recall that his songs were supposedly rarely good enough for George Martin, John and Paul to consider recording them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    linklinc and DK Pete like this.
  11. msza

msza Forum Resident

True, those songs werent singles, but they were always highly regarded. It's no great mystery to me that their singles may not be their most timeless material, as singles are generally the most 'in the moment' of an artists material. The moment of the 2 minute upbeat rock song has long passed.

Really, I suppose this argument comes down to whether one thinks Spotify is a taste-maker or taste-reflector. It's probably some of both, but more of the latter, in my opinion.

DK Pete likes this.
  12. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

But they all thought Here Comes the Sun and Something were excellent. It is not like they refused to play on Here Comes the Sun. George has 5 songs in the Beatles 100 most played songs on Spotify. If anything, Spotify, proves they were right, rather than wrong.

ZippyPippy and DK Pete like this.
  13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

He already had (and tried to get the Beatles to record) several songs that were included on his blockbuster album "All Things Must Pass" (including the title track) which was recorded pretty much immediately after the Fabs broke up, so he clearly had some great tracks ready to go.

I think his stuff was resisted more often by George Martin, John and Paul than given a fair shake.

linklinc likes this.
  14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Right, but my point is a song Martin, John and Paul liked, being the top Beatle written Spotify song does not really vindicate George's annoyance any more than Paul having 3 of the 5 most popular Beatle songs prove that One and One is Two should have been a Beatle song.

What would prove George right and John and Paul wrong would be either;

• the George songs that were 'apparently' turned down by the Beatles, e.g. Circles, Not Guilty, the various ATMP tracks, all outperforming the average Beatle song
    • the George written songs on Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver etc. being the most popular on those albums

It could be argued that without Martin, John & Paul's 'quality control' George would have never been spurned on to write and perfect songs of the quality of his 69-70 material.

DK Pete and edrebber like this.
  15. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Here Comes The Sun - not a bad choice for a Beatle anthem of today I suppose.

OP's choice of Hey Jude is good too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    DK Pete and OptimisticGoat like this.
  16. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Not gonna lie, I've never met a 'millennial' in real life (i.e. outside this forum) who gives a rat's about the Beatles.

I mean, I'm sure they exist, but probably only as a result of parental intervention, akin to similar wrong-headed attempts to 'cure' LGBTQ.

Vangro and FJFP like this.
  17. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

I have access to Amazon Prime Music which I use occasionally. Whenever I select a Beatles playlist, the first song is always ‘ Here Comes the Sun”. I often skip it now as it’s just too overplayed. My point is whichever song Amazon puts at the top of its compilations, will be the top streamed song.

18. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

It's for millennials who are all about positivity and "good vibes" and don't want to face any hardships or confrontations in life that challenge their worldview. It's a very safe, lightweight, feel good song that doesn't challenge the listener in any way. It's the Instagram of pop music. If I had to choose a Beatles (or George) song to display the Beatles, it sure wouldn't be this one.

19. manco

manco Forum Resident

Millenials don't realize the context Harrison wrote the song in. It was in response to the gloomy London weather and the sun finally came out.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

‘Here Comes The Sun’ is a universal sentiment that anyone who happens to live on planet earth can instantly relate to. By comparison, ‘Hey Jude’ is a more esoteric proposition. Who’s Jude and why should we care? Just cos it was a big hitter in its day doesn’t ensure that it will endure. In fact, in the coming years as the song fades further from prominence, we may end up referring to it as ‘Jude the obscure’.

speedracer likes this.
  21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I don't even know how to respond, this is just pathetic

Mature adult? More like out of touch child

22. A dissenting opinion. Not only do I prefer "Old Brown Shoe," but "Old Brown Shoe" might even be my favorite Beatles song. Love that tune.

23. manco

manco Forum Resident

Young people love Hey Dude.

24. Kerm

Kerm Forum Resident

Huh! Guess it depends. I’ve met countless millennials and Gen-Z who are music fans and are aware of old music. And the Beatles are usually a pretty safe choice to be one of the more common acts they’re familiar with. I’m not saying it’s the majority of people, but it’s hardly unusual.

25. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

wait, so its a bad thing to "be about positivity and good vibes"? oh man, that is bad news.