Apple iPod Shuffle 3rd Generation - What Were They Thinking?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thnkgreen, May 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I bought a 3rd gen iPod shuffle used sometime last year. This iPod has no buttons other than an off/play/shuffle switch, meaning controlling the volume can only be done with the accompanying three-button headphones. But guess what - there's a catch. Not all three-button Apple headphones are created equally... at least I don't think so. I have three pair (as well as some other brands of three button headphones), and none of them are turning the volume up or down for the shuffle, or playing the 'voice over' feature which aids the listener in identifying the artist/song title they are currently listening to. The only way (so far, that I've gathered) to identify the correct three button headphones to use is by a gray section on the ear buds. Am I right or wrong? Should all three button Apple headphones work with the 3rd gen shuffle?

Thanks!!

The earbuds with gray on them....

[​IMG]

.... and my headphones...

[​IMG]

2. thnkgreen

3. thnkgreen

I ended up ordering two pair of used headphones from China off of eBay. This headphone fiasco goes on my long list of reasons why I hate Apple. Also, there were at least two different adapters made (one by Belkin, one by Griffin) that enabled the use of any 'three button' headphone with the third gen iPod shuffle, but try to find one for sale (and at an affordable price). I've spent the last hour.

4. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

Get a Sansa Clip Plus from eBay. It has a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack, uses buttons, has a text display, micro SD slot, and can play up to 48khz 16 bit flac. It sounds better than an iPod too.

mikedifr0923 and jfeldt like this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What they were thinking was these were meant to be an almost throw-away product. The iPod Shuffle was for people who just wanted to have a small selection of music portable and not really have much control over it. I don’t think Apple ever intended for these to be used with anything other than the earbuds they came with.

SamS, timind, thnkgreen and 1 other person like this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Everything I've heard about the Sansa Clip series has been positive except for the issue of battery life. Considering its size, I think a shorter battery life is understandable.

My understanding is that the iPod Shuffle was originally intended to be used for workouts, so a large selection of music, and a display wasn't needed.

thnkgreen likes this.
  7. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

I used to plug mine in at night, and I don't think I ever played it for more than 4 hours straight, so you could be right on the battery life.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I can understand your frustration. But this is 12+ years old, probably time to move on if you can't easily find compatible headphones. I'm surprised the battery still holds a charge!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.