Apple Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

I like the integration possibility of local flac (or one’s own files uploaded to Apple Music’s cloud storage) with streaming in full fidelity then you could stream anywhere you had a connection. It’s annoying to go back and forth between the two of you aren’t using a third party software and if you are then sometimes having issues arise if the software isn’t getting along. Apple Music is providing more or less a seamless experience in that respect provided it doesn’t get messed up either of course.

2. 80steen

80steen John McClane

It allows me to stream my specific bruned cds from iTunes (differet mixes, masterings and artists who aren't on Apple Music) so it's for me.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  3. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

How does one add their own music to Apple Music...or is that not possible? Would like to get some Dead shows that are not available for streaming back up and running. In the past I’ve added songs to my iPad, which is where I do all streaming from, but that quickly takes up space.

4. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

To add your own music without having Apple Music match it, convert your files, whatever the sample rate, to 24/96 (using dBpoweramp or a similar program), add them to Apple Music, then click File>Library>Update Cloud Library. This will upload your files instead of matching them. At least this is how I do it on a MacBook, and it's never failed to upload instead of matching.

Galley, Billy Infinity and Gray Beard like this.
  5. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Same here!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  6. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Yes, I used the free trial for less than a week - I stopped when the artwork and some of my playlists went ‘awry’. To hell with that!

mwheelerk likes this.
  7. Stereosound

8. Stereosound

9. RunHomeSlow

RunHomeSlow Safe As Milk

I don't use Apple music except to put my Flac database in mp3 for my iPhone 11
    now i always put my covers in Audirvana (main music software) in: 1600px / 1600px / 72dpi

Open Apple Music... go to artist list... find group... then album that i want to change cover....
    Select all songs in that album... cmd i... to see info window.... cover tab... delete that picture... load a new picture...
    select from desktop new 1600/1600/72 picture... save, wait for all songs to get it...

then, nothing, no refresh from that same window, still old cover,
    have to click another group then come back to that group album to see if it was changed...
    yes it was, BUT...

Big Sur now on 11.3, no change, still that bug... no one ever check that simple change ??

10. Stereosound

11. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Just read a short article that Apple Music will be releasing a “HiFi” tier that will cost the same as the current tier in the next few weeks. It will coincide with their next AirPods release. Great news if true.

12. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Great news. And, hopefully, one step closer to hi-res downloads and upgrades.

13. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Interesting news. How will they tackle the 256k AAC bottleneck that limits the quality of the AirPods range?

14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

by making you purchase the new one?

16. Stereosound

17. Stereosound

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Even though I am deeply entwined into the Apple architecture I have no interest in letting Apple Music (the streaming service) get any wear near my music library. I do still use Apple Music (iTunes) as my primary music library management tool for metadata purposes. For playback of my library it is almost exclusively by Roon.

brock, rfkavanagh and Galley like this.
  19. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

Same. Used it for 2 years and then it randomly stopped working. Would crash after every song. Went to Spotify and haven't looked back.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Steve356 likes this.
  21. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

have to say (and I say this as an Apple fanboy), I'm fully prepared for whatever Apple announces to be underwhelming and carry a stupid pricetag.

22. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Apple Music for Android preps for lossless audio streaming - 9to5Google

Some more details:
    Spatial Audio will be the key feature for Apple Music HiFi - 9to5Mac

Apple offering Lossless or even Hi res streaming for Apple Music subscribers without additional fees would be a huge problem for Tidal and Qobuz streaming services which don't make their money by selling hardware.

walrus and Galley like this.
  23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

if this does happen, I’ll be interested to know if this carries over to the iTunes Store and any past purchases, as per the iTunes+ upgrade of past purchases from 128Kb/s DRM files to 256Kb/s DRM free.

24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

And iTunes Match.

coffeetime likes this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Apparently there will be no increase in monthly fees which means it will be half the cost of TIDAL = another trial of Apple Music for me.

Steve356 likes this.