Arcam CDS50 CD / SACD Player And Streamer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jl151080, May 28, 2018.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well that’s SOMETHING at least........
    The should have also added the switchable dac filters and added a digital volume control, which the ESS 9038 DOES have built in, which would then make it also a preamp, totally stomping on their competition, all these things can be done with a firmware change. So close but again it forced me to get the Audiolab transport and that’s worth twice it’s asking price, at $499 it’s a bargain extremely well built.
    Beave

2. The Beave

Listening to the Stones Singles Collection on SACD right now through the 6000CDT, WHAT A GREAT COMBINATION!
    Even though this is mono the presence makes it sound 3D.
    Wonderful combination!
    Beave

Curiosity likes this.
  3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

my Oppo BDP-95 is still going strong. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it.

My primary concern is still the flac transitions - are they seamless?

4. George P

George P Notable Member

5. The Beave

Gotta be careful with this one, it’s MORE quirky than the 50!
    Slow disc loading and it uses Burr Brown DAC and NOT the ESS Sabre 9038, 24 bit vs. 32 bit on the current unit.
    Beave

6. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

Interesting about all of the above....I have a rega Apollo r which is kind of finicky and have been looking to find a possible replacement. Great sound but still...it's hooked up to an old fisher 500c.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Woops, I thought it was the 50. My bad!

8. The Beave

Wow, nice melding between Vintage audio and state of the art!
    You got a certified Classic there in that Fischer!
    Beave

9. The Beave

Well, Last night I turned on the ol Arcam with the intent to Stream some Jazz...........
    It just locked up with something on the screen.
    Rebooted the Deck 3 times......
    Re connected to router..........
    Re booted ipad with Arcam app on it.......
    Still, just sat there looking stupid and locked up.
    POS.........
    Beave

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's too bad Beave! The Arcam seemed to be promising but very quirky from what I've read.

11. helloall

helloall Member

Have you tried unplug the power cord? I was stuck once and only that could resolve the issue.

Or reset the router, every now and then my wifi is stuck and that what I need to do.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  12. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Another suggestion, and one I've found has worked on all kinds of devices. Hold down the power button for about 10 seconds, then try again.

13. The Beave

Will try these thanks guys!
    In the meantime I bought an Audiolab 8300CD, I'LL GET IT NEXT MONDAY!
    Geez I hate this pad Thai.
    Beave

14. The Beave

Ok, so I unplugged the 50 and am about to plug it in.
    But I’m about done with this ****.
    I bought an Audiolab 8300CD. No SACD, but ESS 9018 dac, which is not the 9038, BUT, as they say it’s the implementation of the dac with the analog section that makes the end sound result. And the reviews are positive.
    But I’ve gone on and on about the 9038 chip and how much I love the sound of it in the 50 And the OPPO 205, and I want this new deck to sound like that, so we’ll see next week.
    I’ll lose the streaming of the 50 but I have a new internet streaming tuner, and I don’t lose the dac function, in fact the Audiolab has DOUBLE the digital inputs whereas the Arcam only has one of each.
    Plus, the 8300 is a true digital pre amp with volume control and XLR outs AND digital out!!
    So, Arcam, I gave you every chance to love you but your companies arrogance has turned me off from ever buying another one of your products.
    On the other hand, Audiolab, which is also from Cambridge U.K. listens to its customers.
    Tata...
    Beave

15. helloall

helloall Member

Is it only the streaming part of CDS50 causing you problem? Or is there any other problem? Sounds like you are going down a path where you won't use your CDP for streaming anyway.

16. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Hi all, does anyone remember reading about the limitations of the USB input in the back of the player? I had a 1gb USB 2.0 flash drive kicking around so I put some flac files on it and really liked the way it sounded and the easy format for folders. A few posts ago I even said that it was my preferred listening mode!

Anyway, hi res files are huge so I bought a 128gb USB 3.1 flash drive and loaded it up with lots of hi res files and damn if the Arcam player can’t or won’t read it!
    It tries reading the flash drive but then it stops.
    I shot a quick message to Arcam in Facebook so will see if they get back to me?

Anyone chime in on this one? Thanks, Greg

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

What is the file format of the 128GB flash drive? I doubt it's a size problem; more than likely, the Arcam needs it formatted in FAT32 but it shipped already formatted in exFAT or NTFS.

gfong likes this.
  18. helloall

helloall Member

I found that WIFI streaming FLAC from my laptop is much better than playing directly with a USB stick. However, I can't find a way to stream hi-res files.

gfong likes this.
  19. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Hi, it is exFAT, I will give it a try in FAT32. Thanks for the advice.

20. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Thanks again, you were 100% correct. Only thing I had to do was download a partition program that allowed FAT32 on larger drives as Windows 10 does not allow FAT32 on drives larger than 32mb.
    Did not know any of this prior to your solution so again thanks. Good to know for future use. We good to go now. Much appreciated.

The Beave likes this.
  21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

You're welcome. The only reason I knew this was likely the issue right away is that I recently got an Arcam A/V receiver and it only accepts drives formatted in FAT32. Unfortunately the drive I bought is too large to format as FAT32, so I hooked it up to a different device instead that works with NTFS.

Arcam makes great sounding gear but they really are behind when it comes to the technical side of things (not the best user interfaces, buggy software, and this FAT32 limitation that there's no excuse for in 2019).

gfong likes this.
  22. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

You're right on that. In another forum I read of someone experiencing the same problem with a Pioneer N-70AE streamer: a £1200 piece of gear. It really is a piss poor show for anything, let alone non-cheap items to be afflicted by this in this day and age.

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

My Sony Universal player that cost $150 on sale will recognize a 4TB NTSF formatted hard drive. Why is Arcam stuck in the previous decade?

24. The Beave

Because, as my experience shows, they don’t want input from their customers, they know already what we should have.
    Very stupid way of business in. This day and age.
    Very stupid, and I’m going to keep busting their balls because I’m an owner of one of their quirky units and I’m not a happy one!
    Beave

lwh1 likes this.
  25. helloall

helloall Member

Yesterday, the iphone could no longer see my computer. Same problem with my wife's iphone. Not sure if the Windows auto update changed some setting?

I checked in the Network Setting and turned on file sharing and in Explore to share my music directory but couldn't get it to work.

Any one can help here?