Are "black midi" the next big thing in guitar based music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. Mine in Atlanta was about the same price. Gonna be a heck of a show if it’s like the album or better!

2. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Young guys playing real instruments with conviction. We need more of that. Go, cats, go! :righton:

3. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Early Minutemen (Paranoid Time/Punch Line) jumped out to my ears at first. That and Beefheart.

Call me jaded, but I feel like this type of noisy, influence-stew kind of indie band is par for the course on the US touring circuit. If your town has a hipster bar or two, bands like this are a dime a dozen. Right down to the guitarist with a Telecaster and a bank of pedals to play with and make all manner of noises.

Not getting the Crimson comparisons at *all*. Sorry.

Guess I’ve been around long enough to see the cycle bring this sorta sound to the forefront again.

drobo likes this.
  4. Interesting, enough there to get my interest, I'll by checking them out for sure.

5. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Never heard of them until they were in session on BBC 6 Music last Wednesday. Ordered the new album immediately.
    The vinyl arrived last Friday ( day of release). It sounds excellent. Loving the whole vibe of it. It takes a few listens which for me is a good sign.

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My next vinyl purchase. Really enjoying this on Tidal.

Not sure if the UK vinyl is the same as the US offering, but I had a coupon for Amazon UK + the US copy is now backordered, so UK purchase is now done.

Ryan_Pretzel and sheffandy like this.
  7. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

A lot more of it works than doesn't for me. Especially the guitar sounds. Thumbs up.

Another thumbs up for not feeling 'quantized'.

scotti and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got my vinyl copy of this album today and just finished listening in my sweet spot. Nice gatefold cover, 180g with download card. Nice pressing and is very quiet and the sound delivers big time!

This is way better than I expected, especially on the first listen. Very King Crimson laced with Can throughout, but with their own unique sound. (of course others will hear different influences no doubt).

To quote one of my favorites...This Is A Dangerous Place...and I really like what I'm hearing!

Gaslight, DotKom11 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

talking mostly, annoyingly.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There is only one version of this on vinyl, same pressing UK and US...you are going to enjoy it, very happy with the sound quality. I got really lucky getting this from my local store, as all of there suppliers are out of stock on this. Seems to be a nice buzz building even more now that people are hearing it.

And I personally dig the heck out of the vocals...just love this kind of music, and even my wife is looking forward to hearing it tonight...once I mentioned touches of Crimson and Can, she was all in...

Gaslight likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Another full listen to the vinyl (cleaned this one twice, but now all nice) and does this ever grow on you. Am I ever enjoying the heck out of this record, just flat out awesome! Can't wait for another listen later today. I highly recommend enjoying this one in your sweet spot with full attention to every cool detail this music delivers.

bzfgt, Ryan_Pretzel and DotKom11 like this.
  12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

It will never catch on. Unless they can get it sounding good out of a smartphone speaker

13. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Yeah, the other bands referenced in this thread I've either a) never heard of or b) never really took to. Nevertheless this black midi album is working for me big time. Highly recommended to anyone just wanting a weekend jolt. Very much look forward to seeing them in November.

Ryan_Pretzel and scotti like this.
  14. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Really been enjoying this record. I'm also willing to overlook the fact that they're one in a long line of BRIT School acts just simply because I believe that if the band members had met any other way they still would have ended up making the same kind of record.

LivingForever and scotti like this.
  15. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Listened to the album today after hearing "Talking Heads" on a random playlist. It's good stuff, the vocals being a bit off putting and highly affected. I can hear the influences people list, but they've got their own thing going on to. It's refreshing to hear music that takes a different path. So much music (new and old) plays it safe and treads the same water as everyone else in the pool.

The other Black Midi stuff is crazy, never heard of it until I read up on them. Reminded me of "The Black Page", so many notes at once. This one reminds of of Jazz From Hell

MungoMusic and scotti like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Another listen last night and it just keeps sounding better and better. The accents/beats this record brings is cool as heck! Just ordered the 12" of "Talking Heads" from my local store today.

DotKom11 likes this.
  17. Canucks should note that these guys are the current cover story of freebie music paper Exclaim!, available from record stores and urban newspaper boxes nationwide.

18. I can hear the influences, but I do like it. Is at least interesting. Like Yngwie Malmsteen, they might be packing a little too much into the spaces where easing off the gas might do some good.

19. Don't forget Robert Fripp, Television, and Primus. I hear all three in there a little bit.

ARK, Dave513 and bzfgt like this.
  20. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Yeah, I’ve decided outright I don’t like this band. Suuuuuuper pretentious and hyped to the gills.

21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Luckily I heard them before the hype, I guess.

BeatleJWOL, Bob Lamonta and bzfgt like this.
  22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It's funny Exclaim used to be available all over the place in Calgary, but I haven't seen a copy in the wild for a while.

23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Ok, finally took a listen expecting to hate them based on some people’s descriptions, and found myself enjoying the tracks I heard.

The vocals aren’t the most annoying I’ve heard (maybe I have a highly tolerance threshold), and the music kind of reminded me of Talking Heads or a bit of Everything Everything (another band where people hate the vocals!)

24. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Everyone harps on the vocals, and I get it, but they fit the music well. I read elsewhere a comparison on the vocals to Men At Work, and now I can't unhear that. This is a really fun album made by some talented young'uns who are clearly having a great time. I'm too old to know or care what the hype machine has to say about any of this, but I can definitely see myself pulling this album up on my iPod many years from now. The last two songs are nice, but for me it ends with bmbmbm. That 7-song sequence is a nice way to spend 35 minutes. Kudos, lads!

klockwerk, Dave513 and bzfgt like this.
  25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Vocals are definitely the weak link here for me but not enough where I won’t check out the album. I STRONGLY preferred the live set linked by the OP over the studio track so I’m hoping the album is more like the sound they get there.

As for all the “I hear this” posts... yeah, I hear Black Midi. Everyone is influenced by something. Talent borrows, genius steals. Bring it on.

ARK and scotti like this.