Are CD's coming back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telecode101, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I haven't listened to this podcast yet, but it might be worth listening to for people that want to know where things are going from the perspective of an independent label that had its heyday in the 90s.

Indie Label Spotlight: Projekt Records

Established in 1983, Portland’s Projekt Records has released hundreds of albums across the realm of electronic, goth, and ambient music, helping to popularize the term “darkwave.” Founder Sam Rosenthal (Black Tape for a Blue Girl) joins us to discuss the label’s 35 years and how they’ve survived the many ups and downs of the music business.We also hear from Grammy nominated artist Steve Roach about his experience working with Projekt.

Dolemite likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I am in agreement with @csgreene 's position.

I don't feel that streaming quality is is bad to listen to, and I listen to streaming, through a very decent system.

Not everybody has the desire to won 5,000 or 10, 000 CD's or record's.

For the cost of a couple of albums a year, I can listen 24/7 for an entire year.

Any physical media that I wish to won, I can go out and buy. No big deal here.

There is nothing that precious or unique about an average CD or record.

Nor, are they a good overall investment. People today have collections of thousand's of CD's that they paid $20 each for and now they would be fortunate to get 20-cents each for an average CD (at wholesale pricing).

I'm all for physical media. In the old days there was little choice, was their.

Today, there is a choice.

MackKnife likes this.
  3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

They can be....a good investment, you just have to buy at the right moment like all things.
    Years ago, when 2nd hand vinyl was dirt cheap, I bought lots of it, paying 0.5$ per album. Some of them are now worth 300$. Most of them 10-20$, still a nice profit. I bought so much I am still listening to some of them for the first time now. Cd's were all the rage back then and priced accordingly, so I wouldn't buy any, unless there was a sell-out somewhere. Now I'm buying plenty of cd's, 2nd hand and new (not much price difference between them anyway). And I'm sure demand for cd's and thus pricing will rise again in the next 10/15 years.

anorak2, eschorama and clhboa like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I do agree with that. If you buy something for a nickle, it is not much of a risk and you own that item.

My comments were directed to the individual who was poo-pooing streaming media, in favor of buying everything.

My point is, that from about '85 for the next 20-25 years, people were building up massive CD collections, which are now, mostly worth very little.

A $20 dollar CD bought way back when, and is now worth 20-cents selling to a used bookstore, has lost 99% of the original retail value. Not to mention, the interest that they might have been making on that $20 that they spent on CD's.

Factor in the physical space they require to store and the time spend to manage your collection...

Oh, yes, then it comes time to make a move across town.

Like it or not, streaming has its advantages.

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Not coming back but might find some niche.

Have heard working musos spruik the benefits of having a media you own and hold, much like the vinyl line.
    They do of course prefer the sale of a CD to get a higher income return.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

People who built up collections between 1985 and 2005 probably never gave much thought about resale value. It was simply the way to acquire the music that they wanted. Any thought of resale value was really down to the price used stores would offer for CDs they didn't like. They had up to 20 years listening to these CDs. Now we have streaming, many people are ditching CDs and so you can, should you wish, to pick up some fairly rare items at knock down prices.

anorak2 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I remember Reveal Records in Derby stocking vinyl downstairs in late 2005 or early 2006. It was shortly before they shuttered. In fact, Derby lost a few places that sold records or CDs around that time, although I believe a shop has opened since.

8. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Of course they are wouldn’t be the first time they tried to kill a format

gkella likes this.
  9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

They came back. I connected a cheap Sony DVD player as a transport by coaxial cable to my HINT's DAC. Not the greatest audiophile solution but at least I can have fun with my CDs again and it sounds pretty decent. I also took all of them off their jewel cases and put in plastic envelops to save space. About five in the space of one. They look a bit like small records on the shelf.

[​IMG]

10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Over 200 billion CDs were sold worldwide. Never run out of used CDs in our lifetime. I am not sure of age limit (deterioration), should last 100s if not 1000s of years.

11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

They never left... they never left.

Perfect sound forever baby!

Perfect sound!

:bdance::pineapple::bdance:

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Yes, about as good as a quality TT & cartridge if you have $2K to spend on transport and DAC.

RoyalScam and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's just nonsense, sorry.

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Your are right, I could not hear the difference on a Base system. I have to question the resolution of your stereo system. Good speakers start around $2K, tube amp the same and this does not include sources. Does not mean your system is not enjoyable though.

15. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

:targettiphat:

16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

DAC- Schitt Gungnir just 'gets you in the door'. And, there is better.

17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I get it. You're one of *those* guys... ;)

punkmusick and bever70 like this.
  18. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

My real concern is hardware. It really doesn't matter whether the software hangs around if servicing or sourcing a player becomes a frustrating, or worse, an exercise in futility. Those who are into the CD format need to speak as loudly and clearly as the vinyl community did so makers of optical assemblies don't cash out. Just my 2 cents.

19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I’m not sure most people posting even bothered to read the article before we end up with the tiresome argument of which format is better. I’ll summarize - for NEW CDs production is down (obviosly) although for some hot new titles they still sell a significant number. In addition, several CD plants have closed and some have moved to Mexico and other places. However, like we’ve seen with vinyl don’t perform last rites on any format because times and tastes change.

As a mainly used CD collector living near large cities, CDs have never left, there are always thousands available at used cd stores, garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores, etc. Other than special issues from Japan or Audio Fidelity or MFSL I probably havn’t bought a new CD in years, so I may be part of the problem even though I love CDs but all the musicians I like are from the 60s and 70s, so there isnt much new that interests me.

The title of the thread should be “Is the production of new CDs coming back?” if the intent is to match the article premise and spark conversation in that direction. I hope they never go away. I just got a new car and was so focused on all the other things you think about - price, color, safety, performance, the very last thing that startled me is, “omg, does it have a cd player?” Fortunately it did.

Who knows, one day will we be digging through bins searching for CDs that have “Manufactured in Mexico” on the disc face just like we do for Made in Japan now?

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

More likely the reason people will accept made in Mexico is because they have no choice. I came across some North American Traffic remasters the other day, but was put off by the made in Mexico sticker on the back.

Dan Steele likes this.
  21. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

So where do people buy cd's now?
    It's been a while since I bought one online, and I bought two from Amazon. One was made in Belgium (sounds OK) the other made in Australasia, and sounds not OK. If I'm going to make the "investment" iI want to be able to make sure I get the best cd version. Any suggestions for reputable websites?

22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

My usual haunts are used/new record shops because I'm primarily "a vinyl/tape guy" (who has thousands of CDs). All of the shops I go to, even the ones that are vehemently behind vive le vinyl and all things analog still carry CDs, both new and used. So long as there is even a niche market for them and money to be made (folks buying them) and someone is making players and/or transports, I don't see that changing. I don't see hecho en Mexico bothering me unless it was obvious that these discs were sub par and prone to falling apart inside of a couple of years, especially if it's that or mp3's.

Dan Steele likes this.
  23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Amazon...Discogs...eBay...Deep Discount/ImportCDs/Blowitoutahere...Grooves...CDJapan...CDBanq...Used CD shops (where they still exist)...HERE...

24. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

Where did u get those plastic sleeves? I have some broken/cracked cases and this seems like a good alternative to save some space.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They are for protecting digipacks. Available from most sellers of polythene record sleeves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.