Are CD's coming back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telecode101, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

they weren't easy to find, but indie shops still carried vinyl that was being pressed throughout the 90's. I also purchased many throughout those years. The chain stores stopped carrying them because January 1991 was the last time you could return unsold lps for credit to the distributers. So almost every chain gave up on vinyl then. Not everything was pressed on LP but many big albums were

vwestlife, Dave S, patient_ot and 3 others like this.
  2. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

DVD and Bluray devices are compatibe with audio CD, they would have to die out as well.

Even if all optical discs will one day disappear from the mass market, I predict player support will continue in some form. Compare 78 records: Even over 60 years after the death of the format, you can buy new turntables compatible with 78s, even though the market for these must be quite small and is restricted to enthousiasts, collectors, libraries etc. By that logic, the demand for CD playback devices should be much higher for many decades to come, because hundreds of billions of CDs were made and many more people will want to play them.

A counter example you could cite is VHS, for which no new players are being made at all. But I think and hope it's an exception that doesn't disprove the rule. In general players for extinct format continue to be made for some time.

scobb, TimB, Gie663 and 2 others like this.
  3. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

DJing relied on vinyl through the 1990s and 2000s, so music like rap, hiphop, house, techno continued to be released on 12'' 45s through that era, often exclusively.

subzro, Szeppelin75, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  4. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

It may be possible for someone to buy the equipment that is used to press cd’s and continue production, much like the Accoutic Sounds did with records.

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Certainly this is a possibility. However, if I am not mistaken, CD/DVD/Bluray production takes place in clean-rooms much like semiconductor production does. So the industrial barriers for entry into this type of production are likely higher than they are for LP production.

stetsonic likes this.
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Yesterday I had an argument with a CD hater.
    He said that listening jazz on CD (like I do) is for shabby people.

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

No is the answer to the original question but this thread keeps going and going!

Grant likes this.
  8. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Hope you put him right - the shabby people like folk music not jazz

Grant and TarnishedEars like this.
  9. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

In which sense?

Scruffy? Having seen better days? Dishonourable?
    :)

10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The 2.2

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just ordered more than 4 CDs between Amazon and eBay.

I'm filling in those King Biscuits that I never got around to picking ip. Not quite first rate acts but I guess major second raters.

You know the concerts the Biscuit was able to license for retail distribute.

They mostly are holding their value, a good time to sell, or a fine time to collect them.

I have coming now: Deep Purple '76, Motörhead, Foghat, Rick Wakeman, Ramones, Rennasaunce.

All pro recordings that sound good, all are pre-brick wall styled mastering I think.

Aren't they nice live albums you somehow missed.

billnunan and Chris Schoen like this.
  12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Well, jazz was born in disreputable clubs run by ignoble characters, so you have chosen the perfect medium to listen to it. Stick to it, the guy simply does not get it. :agree:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Kristofa likes this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Sounds like the guy actually does get it. At least historically.

I'll take my jazz CD's with some bootleg beer, hiding from the coppers in my man cave.

Dan Steele and jay.dee like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Jazz on cd can bring the magic home like nothing else on the market. Feels great to hear a good one from great tapes. Sometime bettter than any vinyl lp. It really depends but there are some winners on CD.

nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I don't see why jazz music on CD is anathema to some unless the mastering was badly done. Sometimes it's the only way to get them without exchanging silver bullion bars for the original LP, which is what I did when I bought a few brand new Japanese jazz albums.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Reminds me of some clown at a record shop a couple years ago that tried to tell me "CDs aren't real music".

17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Aside from used CDs, I buy most of my new product from CDJapan, CDBanq or Amazon France now. Most releases in the genres I like seem to come out on CD in Japan and France nowadays.

Fishoutofwater and nosliw like this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't generally buy any new CDs. All new discs are high-res with multichannel.

What with so many used discs on the market you can find your desired condition at the price that works.

With that said, most all of my desirable discs are not the cheap ones found below $7.99. The ones I want are holding at mid-1990s prices, or slightly higher.

aficionaudio likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You will find that if CD ceases production altogether it will also kill SACD. I doubt the only SACD plant in Austria survives on DSD multichannel disc production alone and would be unviable if CD ended.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That plant is surviving on M/C and DSD fans. Yes, there are a large group of buyers who want DSD, and think it's the best recorded sound ever invented.

So, no, they could keep cranking out SACDs after CDs have gone extinct. But it seems SACD players are falling by the wayside, that is a sign things won't go on too long for SACD either. Even the fans of ripping SACDs to their music servers, whom there are plenty as not enough to save the format once players start dying and are not found at retail easily. SACD is a small nitch, and does not depend on CD to prop it up.

aficionaudio likes this.
  21. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I guess some people will make fun of the clothes you wear, where you live, the car you drive, your looks, your record collection, etc. :laugh:

22. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Some simple math...

If all goes really really well I likely have at most 30 years to live. My hearing might go sometime along that way but let's just take the full 30 for the sake of this post.

I have probably two years worth of music in my collection if played continuously.

However, nowadays I can easily fall asleep halfway through an album. So again for this post's sake let's assume I can handle one hour a day of critical listening, and that I do so from my collection.

So if I manage to listen for one hour a day, and never listen to the same album twice, I have at least 48 years worth of music listening in my current collection.

I have multiple players in my home that are used occasionally, and at least three CD/SACD/DVD-A streamer/players in storage, so even if no new ones ever come available, I think I'll have at least one that still works in the 30th remaining year.

So even if, starting right now, I never add another album to my collection, I have more music in my collection than I can listen to in my remaining years.

Remind me again why I should therefore really care whether CD/SACDs are never made again, or new players capable of playing them?

First world problems.

:)

Jeff

Rodz42, anorak2 and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

There are two other SACD pressing facilities in the world even if the Austrian Sony plant closes down....Sony DADC in Japan and Arvato in Germany. All three plants can, and have, produced both single-layer and hybrid, stereo and multi-channel, SACDs.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Based on 2017 IFPI data, Japan is the world's second biggest music market, and over 70% of pre-recorded music sales is on physical medium.

Global music industry market share data - Wikipedia

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Most of the problem posts on this forum are first world problems, let's be honest. If my main concern was how to feed my family tomorrow, I don't think I would spending much time worrying about the death of CD's or waveforms or pressing differences.

I have a lot of music also - probably years worth and sure, if new CD's / LP's / digital music files ceased to exist tomorrow, I'd have plenty. Plus all the older stuff out there. But I'd still miss purchasing new releases.

Choice is a good thing. I hope CD's stick around for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.