Are noise cancelling headphones right for me?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Oct 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Do you know what BT codecs Windows 10 supports? I have not found an LDAC codec package that can be installed to support the XM2 headphones that I have. I'm not sure what codec Windows uses to link to them, nor how I could even find out.

2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see a lot of value for wireless in a post-Covid world. In the old days, I would work on my laptop in libraries and coffee shops. Now, I'm using the Sonys exclusively for at home listening.

Good luck on the XM4s. I love them....it's only the ear fatigue that bothers me. I've had few issues with connectivity. So far, I've used them with my Macbook, Google Pixel phone, and Amazon Fire stick. I have encountered occasionally issues with my connection, but 98% of the time, bluetooth is issue free.

Oh....as far as the internet suggesting common problems, apparently I'm not the one experiencing ear pain with noise cancelling headphones.

What No One Tells You About Noise Cancelling Headphones

SBurke and Mike-48 like this.
  3. dennis1077

My headphone experiment continues! I just ordered a pair of Shure SRH1540 closed back headphones. I'm VERY curious to hear what a pair of $500 headphones sounds like (they were on sale for $399!).

I have 3 weeks left on the return window for the Sony WH-1000xm4s. I'd like to spend a few weeks comparing them before sending them back.

Still, I'm toying with the idea of keeping both pairs. I'm not thrilled about losing wireless and bluetooth features. My Crutchfield advisor also expressed reservations that the Shures will NOT adequately filter out background noise. I am literally listening to my upstairs neighbors as I type. Noise cancelling may hurt my ears, but my living situation may require it.

I guess the degree to which regular closed back headphones filter noise will inform my decision. They would obviously be my pair for extended listening sessions. Still, it's hard to accept a $300 pair of headphones that can only be used for short-term listening.

SBurke likes this.
  4. Mike-48

Thanks for posting that. My SO has been having trouble with her Bose ANC phones, and I didn't understand why. Now I do. She's just more sensitive than I -- no big surprise.

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I don't know, actually; as I recall though Windows does not support aptX HD which is a bummer. Some more info here: Bluetooth aptX HD from Windows 10 PC to Topping D50s | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

6. Mike-48

Thanks for posting that. It is idiotic that we have to buy dongles to use wireless headsets with best fidelity. Even more idiotic that MS still doesn't show what codec is in use. Most idiotic is that the best audio codec seems to be available in Android cell phones; next in Apple cell phones (Apple being a frequent choice for media work), and the worst on Windows, the most common OS around. The lack of standardization is a needless obstacle to getting good sound, and it must affect millions of people.

7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Totally agree. Use a dongle? You've got to be kidding me. These codecs are software, aren't they? Why the heck can't they just be installed? Who knows.

8. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

It doesn't. Windows 10 (out of the box) typically supports SBC only. You will need to buy a bluetooth transmitter that will hook up to your PC via USB. This is usually because AptX / HD is a Qualcomm codec, NOT an Intel codec which is what most PCs have (Intel chips). Most phones seem to use Qualcomm chips otoh.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    SBurke likes this.
  9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'll be interested in your thoughts. I did get the XM4; have started using it a little. I've always felt some mild discomfort with NC 'phones. Nothing profound, but I don't use them for long periods either -- in fact I don't ever use headphones for more than a couple hours in a day, as I've always suspected longer use could be more risky to hearing than listening over loudspeakers. Anyhow, I too would much prefer very effective noise isolation.

dennis1077 likes this.
  10. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Bose USB Link Bluetooth Module | Bose

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    SBurke likes this.
  11. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

You need to move.

SBurke and dennis1077 like this.
  12. dennis1077

I'm 2 months into a 12 month lease.

13. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

If you were a true audiophile you would choose tuneage over financial security. Always.

SBurke likes this.
  14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I love this line, because you can interpret it in so many ways.

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Are you in a building with an office or whatever, or a rowhome or house? I'm in the former. It was a nice quiet environment for years. Never made a noise complaint in nine years; I think I twice knocked on someone's door to ask them to turn it down. Then this year I somehow got surrounded by loud students, party girls, you name it. In a pandemic I'm not going to knock on someone's door wearing a mask, so I wasn't sure what to do. I put up with it for months. Then one night, I said, "I'm done." Now, after ten minutes of noise, I call the front desk security folks to shut it down. So far it's worked every time.

16. dennis1077

There's been a few parties, but most of the time, it's every day noise. People walking across the floor somehow gets amplified though my ceiling. I hear people sneeze upstairs.

The worst part has nothing to do with humans. There are pipes in my ceiling and they make noise all night. A good pair of earplugs is essential.

On the plus side, rent is cheap, my new roommate is cool, and I just bought the best pair of headphones I ever owned!

SBurke likes this.
  17. dennis1077

I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts. I guess I'll start at the beginning.

My journey began with a pair of Sennheiser HD558 open back headphones that I really liked. In the new apartment, I could hear the constant whirring of my fan over the music at all times. It was VERY distracting. The ear pads have split open and I'm not sure if that created an improper seal. Anyway, this is the situation that touched off my saga.

Sony wh-1000xm4 should have been my savior. On their own, they block out noise decently. Once you activate the noise cancelling function, it's amazing. The whir of the fan disappeared COMPLETELY. These offered 100% truth in advertising. I immensely enjoyed not being tethered to a cable and the ear pad controls were fun to use. BUT.......long sessions hurt my ears. It all came to a head a few days ago when I awoke to fluid in my ear. Possibly unrelated, but I viewed it as a cosmic sign to return the Sonys.

I'm now using the Shure SRH1540. Reviews that said they offered "average" noise isolation were accurate. They effectively block the noise from my air purifier. I can, however, still hear my fan during quiet passages. When music is louder, you really have to listen for the fan to remember it's there. I can also hear footsteps overhead when my upstairs neighbors are stomping around. BUT, they are comfortable. The Alcantara earpads are comfy and my ears don't feel all boxed up.

The Shure's aren't perfect. The cable is so short, it borders on being useless. Fortunately I have an external headphone amp and a few long RCA cables that allow me place my amp next to my bed. I find myself really missing the wireless aspect of the Sonys.

Despite losing some noise isolation and readjusting to having a cable, the Shures sound better. They are much more open and have a surprisingly wide soundstage for closed back headphones.

Both pairs are expensive. I felt like with the Sonys, I was paying top dollar for access to industry leading technology. With the Shures, I feel like my money went to sound quality. In the end, I traded a bit of sound isolation for comfort and better sound. Even when unwanted noise creeps in, I have more isolation than my original pair. I also know that I'm blessed with a pair of premium headphones.

SBurke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.