Are Speakers Corner LPs Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Spotmaticfanatic, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Myke

Myke Listening

Yeah, I must've gotten one of the very last copies sold at retail. I can remember getting it from an online retailer like Acoustic Sounds, or Soundstage Direct ( bought a lot from them before they crashed and burned ), and I know it wasn't more than 8 or 9 years ago.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I received my copy of Pithecanthropus Erectus and yep it’s good. It’s mono, has strong bass and everything else sounds good. It’s got that 50s mono sound and is a product of its time, making it not the best sounding Mingus I have but I doubt it could sound much better. I mean, I also just got MOFI ONe-Step of Ah Um so clearly that one sounds superior. But I digress - SC PE well worth it.

Spotmaticfanatic likes this.
  3. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Also got SC release of The Piano Scene of Ahmad Jamal. Also a mono release and this one is a quiet pressing but the sound quality isn’t that great, a fault of the recording. The music is fantastic though. Not a must have but an interesting record.

4. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual. Thread Starter

I just picked up this title and am thrilled with it. The bass is magnificent and everything is superbly done. Top notch pressing, too.

Pushpaw likes this.
  5. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual. Thread Starter

Currently listening to Monk in Tokyo. Nor’easter quality. It’s likely a better recording technically than many of his live titles. It sounds very “forward” to me. Worth the money.

6. Myke

Myke Listening

Checking on the latest SC releases, and I see I must not have checked in a while !

2018 - To Bonnie From Delaney feat. Brother Duane Allman on guitar.

Lacquers cut by Kevin Gray !!!

7. Eamon

Eamon Well-Known Member

Will have to give my copy of the Clown a spin again but recall it being nigh on perfect. Might be a few that got through quality control.

8. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Well-Known Member

I only have one from this label...From Elvis In Memphis...and that one is amazing and the one I play despite having other vintage vinyl versions of the album.

Myke likes this.
  9. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

I have a copy of Bill Withers' Just As I Am - SC pressing en route to me. I have heard great things about it. As for some of their other titles, I'll buy most things with Kevin Gray's name on it so there are a lot of titles I'm looking forward to adding soon.

Alex Zabotkin and Myke like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Easily one of my favorite releases from Speakers Corner. Dennis King was the original engineer used for this back in 1976 when it was first released. Kevin Gray did cut this version though. An outstanding live record that is a must have if a fan of Mingus. A bit pricy, but well worth it.

Looking forward to getting the upcoming (at least here in the US, already out elsewhere I believe) titles of Paul Butterfield's "East West" and Buddy Guy and Jr. Wells "Plays The Blues"...

11. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Really? Strange, on Discogs it says mastered by Dennis King. Out of curiosity, where did you see mastered by Kevin Gray?

12. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Someone on discogs says it has KG in the runout.

13. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Huh. Well what do you know. I see the KG on my copy too. Never looked as went by what I saw on Discogs.