Are Technicolor and Deluxe still relevant?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by aberyclark, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I know we have some people who work in the movie business. I just saw a Jack Cardiff doc about how he was one of the first photographers during the introduction of Technicolor. I know Technicolor faded a bit in the 60's and 70's. Just curious if these two processes have expanded into the digital realm?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

You-know-who will be chiming in here, but in terms of ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHY, once upon a time there were Technicolor and (later) Eastmancolor, and in PRINTS there were Technicolor and Eastmancolor, and there was a lot of cross-pollination. For instance, a film could be photographed in single-strip Eastmancolor, but printed in "IB-Tech" Technicolor prints. Similarly, a movie could be filmed in Technicolor but printed in Eastmancolor. (I'm using Eastmancolor as a generic term for any of the non-Technicolor processes, i.e., "Prints by De Luxe," "Warnercolor," etc.)

In terms of their role in the digital realm, I think we are quickly approaching a time when they will only come into play when it comes to scanning archived negatives/elements for digital release (with a few exceptions, maybe).

Original 3-strip Technicolor (for filming) has been dead as a doornail for decades. IB-Tech for prints has been out of commission for several years now, so Eastmancolor is pretty much the only game in town in terms of both film-based image capture and film prints. (Vidiot: Please correct as needed!)

EDIT:
    VistaVision titles are a good example of cross-pollination. Large(-ish) format photography was done in regular Eastman color, the Technicolor matrices were made and fine-grain IB-Tech release prints were made to improve quality at the release print stage.

In the opposite direction: there have certainly been vintage filmed-in-Technicolor titles released in Eastmancolor prints. One that comes to mind is the 70mm print of Fantasia that came out in the early 90s. Technicolor-process prints only existed in 35mm....EVER.....so the 70mm version of Fantasia was a standard Eastman print of a 3-color Technicolor original.

Matt

The Beave likes this.
  3. aberyclark

Wow. Great info. Do the companies still have a presence or is it like Kodak in the photography world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. MLutthans

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Technicolor faded a bit? Is that a clever pun? Tech NEVER faded. They did however stop making it in 1974.

This thread is almost bunnylike in confusing me.

6. MLutthans

IB Tech was revived briefly in the 1990s. There are, for instance, great-looking IB tech prints of the Robert-Harris-restored REAR WINDOW.

7. Steve Hoffman

Well, of course. There is a beautiful IB Tech print of STAR WARS that is just mind boggling. I'm talking about filming something, processing it without going to China, etc. Don't get too technical for these guys!

The Beave and captainsolo like this.
  8. aberyclark

Thanks for the links. I was curious if they may have gotten involved with digital movie software. Maybe color plug ins or software. Do you work in the industry? I'm looking forward to hearing from Vidiot as well. The Jack Cardiff doc was wonderful. As a pro photographer, I love hearing about how the old timers got creative. For example, the director wanted fog, Jack used his breath against the lens for the effect.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's relevant on all the DVDs I own...

10. MLutthans

[​IMG][​IMG]
    See how FAT that magazine-area is (where the film reel resides)? It hold THREE reels of film for the original Technicolor filming process (as opposed to printing). Each layer exposed a different portion of the color spectrum. The light gets split by a prism. These required a BUTTLOAD of light (see below). The cameras were also very cumbersome compered to B&W (and later Eastmancolor) cameras of the day, and sharpness was an issue, as there was an element of imprecision when the three separate film strips were combined into a single release print.

As far as the light issue goes, here's a good summary of the problems/situation, courtesy my pal Martin Hart at Widescreenmuseum.com (top photo from his site, too):

11. MLutthans

Basically, no. I'm a tangentially-involved obsessive.

The Beave likes this.
  12. aberyclark

Could you shoot b&w with a technicolor camera?

13. MLutthans

You more-or-less were...times three. There's certainly no reason you couldn't, but it would be utterly unnecessary/redundant/cumbersome. Other cameras were infinitely more appropriate for the job.

14. aberyclark

The early pictures I saw in the doc of the Technicolor cameras were amazing. Looks like you basically had A full time construction crew just to hoist the camera if needed. What is also amazing is they did location shoots with those mammoth cameras.

15. MLutthans

Minor-league compared to the Cinerama camera, which is 800 pounds when blimped for noise. ;-)

16. aberyclark

I wish I went to the cinerama showings when I lived in Dayton a few years back

17. MLutthans

You missed out. I saw two movies there and had a great time.

Back to Technicolor.....

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a great photo of a 3-strip Technicolor camera, Matt! Very cool-looking. I believe we had one of those at the North Hollywood plant in the lobby, but the people running the digital arm of Technicolor (where I worked on Sunset & Gower) only had a handful of photographs to commemorate Tech history.

Deluxe (or as a friend of mine referred to it for years, "Color by Luck") was just the normal Kodak developing process for ordinary Easmancolor prints. 3-strip Technicolor was a unique process that didn't last very long in terms of history -- only a little more than 20 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor

The concept of Technicolor doesn't really have a meaning anymore in an all-digital world. But Steve above is right in that the traditional Tech IB prints -- where the dye-transfer color is almost literally "printed" on the surface of the film, like a book -- last an incredibly long time, due to the chemistry involved. Richard Haines' book Technicolor Movies: The History of Dye-Transfer Printing goes into all this in extraordinary detail, but to me, the most fascinating story is the autobiography by the inventor of Technicolor, Dr. Herb Kalmus (and his wacky wife Natalie), Mr. Technicolor. (The latter is sadly out of print.)

Technicolor sorta/kinda exists in digital filmmaking today, in three ways: 1) Technicolor still exists as a post-production facility, though all their labs in North America are now closed; 2) filmmakers sometimes want a very vivid, old-school "Technicolor look," which we can do electronically simply by punching up the saturation levels; and 3) old 3-strip Technicolor movies can be recombined digitally, actually yielding better results than they could in the lab doing it the old-fashioned way. Note that the lab jealously guarded the secrets of exactly how the Technicolor prints were done, and I could never get the technicians to divulge the exact methods, even well into the 2000s.

19. aberyclark

Great info Vidiot. Is there a good movie doc about technicolor?

20. aberyclark

Found one.

21. aberyclark

Not a bad video. I found the Kinemacolor info interesting as well. I have become quite fascinated with this

22. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

So does the old 3 strip processing plant in China still exist?

23. Steve Hoffman

I hear it does if one has a lot of money. But, why bother?

24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Old 3 strip Technicolor was beautiful stuff. I know it can be approximated by digital means, but as we all know, analogue is always better.

;)

The Beave likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

When I collected 35mm prints (for about a year, too wacky) I had a beautiful 35mm Technicolor processed AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (1956), 6 track mag. The film was shot in both 24 and 30 frames per second versions and the 24 version was printed down from the Eastman 70 and processed in Technicolor. The Todd-AO prints of course were Eastman. Even between a non-faded Eastman and Tech version of the film the difference in color tonality and saturation was so incredibly different between the two processes. The Tech version just looked mo' better!

My print died when the mag stripes began to shrink at a different rate than the actual film and started warping. It was the only mint surviving print of the true LONG VERSION in existence. When it died I gave up film collecting. It was a fun year but heartbreak like that ain't worth it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.