Are The Beatles Mono Albums Going OOP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Partyslammer, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Counterfeit??

CBackley and black sheriff like this.
  2. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Absolutely not, as I'm happy to report, because counterfeits could never be this well fabricated. They're the real deal, but I am aware that there are CD counterfeits out there.

3. There were some pretty nifty looking Russian counterfeits of the CD set.

4. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

In Soviet Russia, discs compact you

Jord, CBackley, hutlock and 7 others like this.
  5. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I also had some contact with Leonid. Didn't purchase from him but as you mention he was a really nice guy. Recommended.

DBMartin likes this.
  6. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

The amount of time and effort it would take to fake records would be insane.

You'd need access to the copyrighted materials, a pressing plant, a lathe, and a facility to print jackets

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    CBackley and DBMartin like this.
  7. Yes and it’s big business in China and Russia

CBackley likes this.
  8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I know about bootlegs, grey market labels, etc. I've never heard of printing valuable records on a large scale.

If that were the case One-Steps, Solid Triangle Dsotm, and Zep II Rl's would be everywhere.

DBMartin likes this.
  9. Yeah not those you list but definitely whatever are top hit albums in the west. And the CD version of the Beatles mono box was a Russian cash cow

10. minglewood

minglewood Life is A Carnival

So obviously there is still a good sized demand for mono Beatles stuff and a repress would be profitable based on counterfeiters being able to swiftly move their product?

11. Probably not so much. They were plentiful five years ago. A vinyl version would sell a ton real or boot.

12. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Single seller with hundreds of copies in a desert of Beatles mono?
    Flaps that keep flapping?
    Anyone waking up and smelling the coffee?

CBackley likes this.
  13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I think I attended one of their concerts at the Carousel Ballroom years ago.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

:whistle:
    I think “Acid Free” is some kind of SECRET CODE. If only I could crack it...:whistle:

15. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

[​IMG]
    I bought A Hard Day's Night from a Russian seller. Deadwax info is exactly what is listed in Discogs for the 2014 Mono LP.
    Hype sticker and LP are in fantastic condition.
    Record sounds fantastic.

I think I paid about $50-60 bucks can't remember.
    It would cost way too much to make such a great bootleg and then just sell it for $50-60 USD.

There would have to be a Russian pressing plant that does a better job than Optimal in Germany. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Talmi K, Man at C&A, timnor and 3 others like this.
  16. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

No I'm waking up wondering why and how we've managed to link a seller who has a good reputation and customer feedback to counterfeit pressings and an insinuation that he somehow horded sets rather than passing them on to shops.

You're right that it smells though.

Zoo Station likes this.
  17. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

:laugh: For the record I've bought my box set with the flapping flaps from Amazon-fr.

timnor likes this.
  18. minglewood

minglewood Life is A Carnival

My Revolver and Rubber Soul flapping flaps were purchased from Best Buy 3 years ago here in America and are official Beatles product. Only 6 years later and the packaging is falling apart. I should not be having to buy glue to repair such a "quality" product. I was just saying that a vinyl repress would be very profitable since counterfeit items are selling out which show a demand for mono Beatles stuff. It's just a cardboard sleeve with a round piece a plastic stuck in it.

19. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity: I guess most of us here are aware of the fact that there are counterfeit CD boxes out there for Beatles In Mono. But do you (and others here) really think that these same people would go through all the trouble and expense of making LP counterfeits too? I mean, I don't rule out the existence of unofficial Beatles mono records, but I do believe that anyone who's seriously interested would easily be able to discern them from the real deal LPs, given the overall quality and perfection of the 2014 monos.

20. Somerset Scholar

A few thoughts in my rambling mind.....the counterfeit strategy has evolved wherebye just enough copies enter the market to keep prices high and stimulate further demand via online communities. The drip-drip effect can continue pretty much indefinitely until there is official product reissues. At this point the market can be flooded by counterfeit product
    This relies on the counterfeit product being effectively the same as the official product. I do believe that this is possible although past history doesn't seem to support such a 'professional' approach being applied.
    One wonders whether such efforts by the counterfeiters would be worth it? I can imagine a box set like The Beatles in Mono being a primary target, though.
    Just all my speculation....

21. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

If counterfeiters can manufacture the mono vinyl LPs at a quality that cannot be distinguished from the Optimal product then more power to them. There is zero evidence that this has happened (yet).

timnor, ODShowtime and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That is spot on. The same as the pressing in the box.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  23. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

My mono Rubber Soul from Leonid too. It absolutely looks and sounds original.

fmfxray373 and DBMartin like this.
  24. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

If someone has a copy set but doesn't believe they are and is happy with them then all is well.:cool:

25. Somerset Scholar

The records so far all look legit to me.
    Crazy prices though. Just been on discogs to look at the madness. Median sale figure approx £650.

DBMartin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.