Are there any good powered speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Nov 26, 2022.

1. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

I wonder if Neumann would agree with you?
    :hide:

Brother_Rael and Tim 2 like this.
  2. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

Depending on LR size/arrangement, and of course your thoughts on aesthetics, the Neumann KH 150 (usd 3500/pair) could be a possibility for you.

KH 150 is a new two-way bigger brother to the KH 120; it also has ability to do automatic room alignment.

NielsSS and Tim 2 like this.
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Some are aggressively advising me in previous posts that a high quality powered speaker will outperform any unpowered speaker regardless of the cost. They are also apparently advising me owners of single-ended tube amps are obsolete now with new high quality powered speakers. That is a huge statement, yet I am told I am behind the times. The idea of a quality tube preamp is attractive is all I can say. Do you agree with the first two sentences of this post?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'll tell you what I think: I think you've demonstrated a rather impressive skill to mislead. Nobody said at any point in this thread that SET amps are obsolete. Your initial inference was that active speakers couldn't keep up with the likes of a £1000 Rega Elex R pre. The suggestion then - and remains - that you didn't know what you were talking about with specific reference to active speakers. That - for me - remains so. The suggestion that one may prefer one form of audiophilia over another, is a different perspective and not one in this thread.

As you're so fond of saying, please stop with the BS.

_cruster, bmoregnr and WildPhydeaux like this.
  5. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

I think you've mistaken exasperation over your obtuse arrogance with aggression. Again.

Are you contributing anything at all to the OPs quest for decent active speaker candidates? Anything at all?

Cheers,
    Robert

Shawn likes this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Not. Active speakers are SS. I was advised by a few nothing beats the active speaker internal amp. That includes SET amps now, doesn't it? I was also told active speakers outperforms any passive speaker. I also did not state active speakers do not sound good. Who is BSing here? Go back and correct the poster who stated active speakers outperforms all speakers, not me.

7. Brother_Rael

Maybe go get a life. Easier. Less hassle. Take your manufactured grievance elsewhere because that's what all of this is.

*Added to Ignore list.

Shawn likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Please find these quotes where people say these things, because I couldn't. Someone saying they went to an audio show and that they thought the best three speakers they heard were all actives is not the same thing as saying "active speakers outperforms all speakers." It was you who also blurted out things like should I throw away my tube amps ?, for some weird reason.

bmoregnr, Shawn and Brother_Rael like this.
  9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Here: 'Sure, you can take your $4000 First Watt P8 and bung on a pair of $5000 passives, and I'll turn up with a pair of $5000 actives that'll tan the pair of them'.
    And this: 'From what I have gathered from Pat McGinty/Meadowlark digispeakers, this is THE main advantage for the improved SQ of his digispeakers when compared to a traditional setup'.

10. Brother_Rael

And he even interprets those comments wrongly! His limitation is he, himself. Blinded by his own bias.

Shawn likes this.
  11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You said in above post $10K of a separate amp and passive speakers cannot touch your active speakers. You said 'tanned' or same as beat up to me. Blinded by my own bias? What about your bias apparently no money can beat your active speakers. You are blind with your own bias, not me.

12. Tony Rees

Tony Rees Forum Resident

Actually in saying (as I did some way above) that replacing a separate amplifier + passive speakers, with actives in my listening system #2, had simplified the switch on process I was mistaken - instead of switching on an amplifier, I now have to switch on the speakers :) However it looks simpler (1 less box to look at). Actually when you consider that each of the active speakers is bi-amped and also contains an active (powered) crossover, there is indeed some potential simplified operation there, one on switch to control all 3 components (per speaker), or one switch for both if they are then ganged together to the same mains outlet (which they are in my setup).

- Tony

13. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

That quote was mine and I never said nor implied what you speak 0f. :shake:

These digispeakers *will*eliminate* analog cables, both interconnects, and speaker, things that only degrade sound and that audiophiles like to debate. Think about it this way, even "the best interconnects and speaker cables" will never be as good as having none since all they do is degrade sound. Also eliminated are all associated analog metal/metal interfaces, another (potential) source of sound degradation IMHO. So those are a few more advantages to "digispeakers". :agree:

14. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

This sounds like abuse

timind likes this.
  15. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

16. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I've only used powered ATCs here for the last 12 years and still love them.

Brother_Rael, Dubmart and Tim 2 like this.
  17. I’d love to hear some Meadowlark speakers, does the company ever do audio shows?

Tim 2 likes this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

The reason I abandoned looking for powered speaker is because they were all studio monitors and most stated they were for near-field listening, very near 3 to 6 feet some said.
    The room I'd be using is 24' x 28' by 10' ceiling, our sitting position is about 18' away from the speakers.
    It's our second system and less than ideal but it's the best I can do in a multi purpose room. ( garage )

noway, molinari and Shawn like this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Tim, seek out a pair of AVI ADM40s, or ADM10s if you can. Add the AVI subwoofer if you can get one.

Must admit, I'm a tad surprised you seem to have so limited choice. Actives, while maybe not ten-a-penny these days, are certainly more readily available,

My current listening space if maybe half the size of yours and I don't go anywhere near the 320w per speaker output that my AVIs have on tap. Nowhere near it. The sound is excellent and that's without having the AVI subwoofer. And these are regular standmount size incidentally. Not floorstanders, just two-way actives. Maybe spread your (active) wings a little?

Tim 2 and wgriel like this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Is this company still active, I couldn't find a current website for them.

It's not really power output that worries me, most if not all nearfield monitors are voiced to sound they're best in close proximity to the listener.

21. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Genelecs were loved by Stereophile. I think it was Herb.

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. Brother_Rael

They're not alas Tim. They were pretty much the two-men-and-a-shed setup. Ashley James and Martin Grindrod I suspect have opted for a quiter life, and I can 't blame them to be fair!

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

For sure.

24. noway

noway Forum Resident

I keep a pair of active speakers in the closet in their original boxes just in case I have amp or speaker problems in one of my 2 systems. This happens rarely to never so I bring them out once in awhile just to give them a workout. They are a good deal for the money and inexpensive so I don't mind keeping them around "just in case". I prefer passive speakers + standalone amps though, for many reasons.

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

Meyer. Expensive and worth it.

emmodad likes this.