Are there many reputable Chinese makers of amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

This was in reference to the Line Magnetic units that were being discussed

2. SoCalPM

SoCalPM Member

I'm assuming the tube amps you have purchased online direct from China were 220V/50Hz? What stepdown transformer are you using to get to 120V for use in the US and are you also using a frequency converter to get to 60Hz?

3. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

No, the gear I bought was always intended for US export, so never had a need to use any sort of converter. Most of the Chinese companies I've purchased from make gear specifically for the US market.

4. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Rotel has been made in China for quite some time. I believe the own the facility.

5. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I've had a Primaluna for 7 years and I haven't a bad word to say about it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. SoCalPM

SoCalPM Member

Would you be willing to share the names of the Chinese companies that you have done business with in the past? Thanks in advance.

7. roblog

roblog “Yeah” (John Wick)

I own a Jolida and have not had any issues.

8. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I named some of them - MingDa, Shanling, Consonance, Kavent (Vincent) - in my previous post. Over the years I've also owned Dared monos, a Mystere pre and I still own a pair of Aurum Cantus floorstanding speakers.

A lot of the Chinese gear is coming out of the Guangzhou region in southern China. Some of them have their won websites where you can view their latest products. MingDa is under Meixing:
    Mingda Handcrafted High End Valve Amplifiers Dared has an Australian site - Dared Audio - Melbourne I also see now some US online distributors for Shanling, MingDa etc like USA Tube Audio.

9. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

what model is your jolida?

10. roblog

roblog “Yeah” (John Wick)

I have the cheap one - the FX 10 Tube Amp.

All original tunes from. Rent Jesse at audiotibes.com.

Set of Klipsch Reference Speakers. I’m happy but if it was a larger room it would be a bit short.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  11. mds

mds Forum Resident

It is a shame that Chinese audio needs to hide their origins, thinking Vincent, when advertising. Unfortunately it is due to extreme prejudice. After WWII Japanese items came to US shores with the label made in OSA or something similar to hide it was of Japanese origin so people in the US would purchase. Same happened at that time with German manufactured products. Leaving politics aside, Chinese equipment like ALL equipment falls into shoddy, good and great tiers. I've owned Chinese high-end audio equipment made in China by Chinese or Australian companies and they have been wonderful sounding and built to extreme high standards; Opera Consonance and Melody. It is most important to find what sounds great, is built great, looks great and last a long time over origin in my opinion. It's a global economy all though you might want to consider human rights and then throw all your sneakers and most of your clothes out.

blakep likes this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I was planning to get me a 8 to 12 watt like a 300b chifi just to start with on that category.
    My other 40 watt amp sounds incredible on UL mode. When I switch to 22 watt triode mode, it just sounds the weirdest even on my 98db speaker set. Its like playing a 4 track on both sides at the same time... :biglaugh:

13. I'll put the higher end class a nobsound douk up there. Have owned hk citation, Manley, McIntosh and others. That said, my particular hood 1969 has a lot of Japanese, us or Mexico nos and Alps parts.

14. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Id avoid China made goods in general after the way they handled Covid19.

15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I've been trying my hardest to avoid Chinese-made goods for a couple of decades now - having long ago recognized how great the threat China is to the world. Not the people; the totalitarian system.

I can't imagine how terrifying it must be in Hong Kong right now, knowing that any and all hopes of freedom are about to be crushed while the world does nothing more than offer platitudes of support.

If and when I buy new gear, I will look first to Taiwan, because... well it should be obvious.

I refuse to accept the defeatist position that there's nothing any individual can do; that we might as well keep supporting an evil China. I believe the exact opposite: that exactly because world governments are either too afraid, or complicit, to take on China, it is up to literally billions of individuals to make a difference, through the power that is their buying decisions.

The Covid-19 pandemic is resetting a lot of clocks; creating new paradigms, that will dictate the way forward. There will not be a better time to do that with China.

Jeff

16. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Denafrips is Chinese...their dacs are super rated

17. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

:tiphat:

DangerousKitchen, trd and suntzu like this.
  18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

That's what everyone use to say about all that cheap Japanese stuff in the 1960s and 70s--like Toyotas and Hondas.

Technocentral likes this.
  19. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I find it staggering given the population of China that some here think they as a race are incapable of stringing a few printed circuit boards and wires together and putting said in a box.....

Technocentral likes this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

Not going to get into it with you, but we didn't do anything that put the rest of the worlds health and economy in jeopardy. We only had a delayed response and didn't personally handle it as well as we should have, as did most countries. What China did was overly negligent and irresponsible and I'll leave it at that.

caracallac likes this.
  21. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

And Chinese are responsible for this?

22. Vibrolux_Reverb

Their govt is. Correct. Portions of the money spent on their products go to their govt.

I'm not faulting anyone or judging anyone who buys products made in China and there will be times when I have to as well. I'm just speaking my opinion on the topic. I believe anyone can choose how they want to spend their money that they worked for. I personally choose to avoid buying products made in China whenever possible.

23. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

In my opinion the question of whether it is morally correct to continue trading with the PRC is one that each person must consider carefully and draw their own conclusions.

spiralgalaxy5 and jeffmackwood like this.
  24. mds

mds Forum Resident

This post is going to be shut down if the politics aren't stopped. Don't know how CV-19 is relevant to an Audio Equipment post. Yes there are many Chinese Audio Companies producing a wide price range of great sounding and reliable equipment and there are some shady ones out there also so buyer beware. Always good to do your research.

25. I agree,Yaqin is reliable and for the two components I got from them, a MS-23B tube Phono preamp that I no longer use (got an EAR 834P Chinese clone that sounds great) and a SD-CD3 tube buffer that I DO use and like its sound (with the right tubes) very much coupled with a Topping D50 D/A converter (another Chinese component I'm extremely happy with).
    I've been using the Yaqin SD-CD3 for over 3 years without a single problem and I'm not surprised as I was curious about its innards so I opened it and it inside built quality is topnotch with good components like massive Elna cpacitors, and the same for the Yaqin MS-23B Phono preamp.
    They're not only heavy,they're also very well built and the performwell.
    I'm in love with a Yaqin tube preamp that looks great and has good reviews. The problem is that it costs around 650 Euros, it will sure be stopped at Customs and would make me pay for import fees and I'm flat broke right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.