Are ya' satisfied or still on the hunt?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident

Hoping to call it quits next year. Just got a Yamaha a-s2100 which as far as I’m concerned is an endgame amplifier for me. I’ve got a Pioneer UDP lx500 which is great for SACDs and CDs. Planning on sending it to Modwright. I’ve decided my endgame turntable will be a 1200GR and Dynavector 20x2L played through the phono section in the Yamaha. Just have to figure out the speakers and DAC/Streamer. Figure when I hit 50 I do t want to be messing around with gear very much. Just want great sound, ease of use, and reliability.

Though I figure I’ll probably upgrade my digital end A few more times as the tech evolves.

mreeter, The Pinhead and Fender Relic like this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yeah, I realized that when a friend traded me his Collings/Waterloo L-00 style. It was cool and well made but when I got the vintage Gibson L-00 shortly thereafter....game over. I think the Waterloos went over big at first and probably have some loyal owners but I much prefer the real deal. Problem is I think the large amount of Waterloo purchases, (by the bright, shiny new thing effect) has deflated prices on those when people tire of them quickly and a glut of them floods the used guitar market. That hurts vintage prices as well on like models..L-00 of any maker. It's a lose/lose. Don't get me wrong though...I love Collings and Waterloo.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Good question. What I own now I really like, room included. Worried though that some of it is very old by now, and might quit on me. Would love to swap my current speakers for Cornwall IVs, my receiver for the new McIntosh integrated, and add a dedicated McIntosh CDP, but that's as feasible as Plan 9 From Outer Space to me, being an 88%er and living in the Third World.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  4. G E

G E Senior Member

Shoot as high as you can while your hearing is still good...

5. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

people go hunting but the food is in their own house.

Soundsense likes this.
  6. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Thinking about upgrading through their line. I’m happy with my system but there are days where I vacillate between being content and wanting something better.

7. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Please list the tree off to the left in your profile.

Sterling1 likes this.
  8. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I'm very content with my Yamaha RXV1.So much so that I have three powering three separate systems plus a RXZ9 setup in the works.Problem is I have some nice Marantz and Onkyo sitting along with so many others.It takes time to listen a cull but the Yamahas are here to stay.The issue is not wanting more but what to let go.

9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I can't
    I can't imagine how Transparents upgrades ( to "plus" for instance) really make much of a difference. I have Musicwave/Musiclink as well. They cost nearly a grand (over many years) and I'm done on that end. I have settled on them over my Audioquest and Kimber rigs though, but it is fun to swap out sometimes. Cables are more like tone controls to me.

10. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I guess I'm lucky to have a fair amount of gear. So when I get the itch, I just swap something out. Right now I'm listening to Dahlquist DQ-10's driven by a Musical Design D-140 amp. My preamp is an old Audiio Research LS-22. I have 3 tables in this system 2 belt drives and a DD. I also have couple of dac's to play with. So I'm cool, the only thing I might do is the crossovers in my main speakers which I have had for over 20 years. I guess if I hit the lottery then maybe I would buy something else, not really sure.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

have to be satisfied...

12. Yes, I am done and in maintenance mode. My system is as follows: B&W 801S3, VTL-450MKII, Mcintosh C2500, Esoteric DV-50 & D-7, Mac Mini, Jolida JD-9MKII, Denon DP-500m/Jelco 750, Technics SL-1800MKII & Technics SL-1210/Jelco750. My audio journey started in earnest in 1984.

13. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

OMG, have you heard the 3000??!
    :winkgrin:

csgreene and russk like this.
  14. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

I recently got a ma5300 integrated, and with that I'm pretty much done improving my system. Nothing left to do but enjoy the music. All I really have left to want is a good headphone amp to use at my pc.

15. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Yes and no. Little interest right now, but I'm sure at some point in the future I'll be interested again.

16. russk

russk Forum Resident

Im almost afraid to. The 2100 with some Spendor were a shocking revelation for a guy coming from all tube gear :laugh:

17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I love to hear that! I’m still hanging onto my 2100 - it’s a legacy piece.

18. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

I have my doubts about the Plus being a big improvement over the Music Wave and Link as well. Perhaps the Super would make a notable difference but its too rich for my blood.

19. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I first subscribed to Stereo Review when I was about 12. In my twenties, I discovered Stereophile magazine. I always wanted to have a system like what I read about.
    When I was probably about 30, I finally heard a few systems that would be considered high end. I was hooked. Unfortunately my disposable income that I could devote to the hobby was almost non-existant.
    The path I chose was a long one, but I feel I'm getting near the end. I would seek out used items that I could sell down the road and not really lose money on them. I'd take what I sold it for and add $400 or so and upgrade whenever I ran in to another killer deal on something. My system was constantly evolving every year or so, Upgrading in increments along the way. It's taken about 25 years to get where I am, but really the only major thing left is a nice preamp. Everything else will probably stay with me for a long time.
    I don't really recommend this path if you can afford to just buy what you want from the get go, but for me it was the only possible way to get where I've wanted to be ever since I opened up my first stereo review magazine when I was a kid.

Mike-48 and Sterling1 like this.
  20. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Ja und nein.

Not in a position to make any big-outlay purchases at the moment and very happy with the overall sound and (family) usability of the system. Going to slowly explore a few more power amp options though just to see what they bring.

21. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I love my J185, but as I get older starting to think a small bodied acoustic may be the most comfortable for me to play.
    Only have 1 acoustic and 1 elec (Thin skin Tele) and not sure I want to give up the Gibson. Between Audio interests and guitar interests need to budget accordingly.

22. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I'm totally satisfied - all my funds now go on music:)

Clay B likes this.
  23. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I'm pretty satisfied now with what I have but always on the lookout to try something new
    [​IMG]

gakerty and Paul_s like this.
  24. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Officially spent up tonight; new headphone amp ordered (decided on something out of the ordinary :uhhuh: ).

Now the dreaded wait for it to all arrive :cry:

25. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Hi csgreene,
    You got your new TT recently and now are ordering new cart! You are on the journey, my friend! Don’t resist it , it is long and enjoyable one :agree:!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.