Are you satisfied with your system or feel you “need” to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

I'm in the middle of searching for a new amplifier right now, and I might be looking to switch out my turntable in the near future.

If I had the budget, I'd be tempted to start over. I'm not necessarily disappointed in the setup so far, but it was put together pretty opportunistically and piecemeal. Putting something together with a more complete vision would be fun.

Khorn likes this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Looks like you have some top quality stuff. Where do you think you want to improve?

3. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Regarding compatability, yes, the Parasound HINT has enough power for the maggies...and any box speaker. Will it be optimal for a pair of highly sensitive horns? Maybe not, of course a nice tube amp will be better, but it certainly will work.

Which of course means that maybe i will add a tube amp to the mix too to run with the horns......time will tell.

Khorn likes this.
  4. Khorn

I’m going the other way with a new tube preamp and gruntworthy SS power amp for my Klipschorns.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

For me, wanting to get new piece of equipment has nothing to do with being dissatisfied with anything I have.

some people really seem to hate the idea of spending money or making changes. I like the hobby, I like reading about equipment and building systems. I hope that I’m in a position to stick with it for years to come.

I am at a point where something would have to leave to make room for something new. That certainly slows things down as I don’t have anything I want to get rid of.

Seafinch, timind, Jacob29 and 3 others like this.
  6. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

The older I get the less satisfied I am with everything. I want to upgrade my turntable, right now I am using a Technics and it's okay. My Schiit stack keeps growing, my speakers are fine, same with my phono pre. What I really need is to reclaim my listening area, but I can't do that until my kids move out (again). My Mother -in-law is moving in this month so my system is in a holding pattern. I was hoping to purchase the Schiit Sol, maybe next year, after we are done with all the commotion.

audiomaniac and timind like this.
  7. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

If I could only upgrade my income stream :sigh:

izeek, McLover, Eigenvector and 7 others like this.
  8. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

Amp-wise, mainly just looking for a little more power. I'm getting good enough volume out of it, but it's lacking some authority, if that's a good way to put it. Been reading up on options for a few weeks, and I still don't know what I'm going to do.

For the turntable, I've been thinking of trying to find something a little less vibration-sensitive. I live in an old house, and I have to have it wall-mounted or it skips when I walk across the floor. I wouldn't mind different anti-skate handling, either. Last time I set it up was a bit of a pain.

9. Khorn

Great your satisfied. Upgrading is a two edged sword that could unleash the dreaded Domino Upgrade Effect that’s deadly for audiophiles.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Khorn

Me too. I need a body and health upgrade then I’d buy out the audio universe.

timind likes this.
  11. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

Since I reclaimed my stereo and some listening time thanks to covid work at home, i upgraded my source to a sacd player, introduced a passive attenuator instead of active preamp and finally found the correct placement for my speakers in the room with tacite approval/ accomodaton from my wife. I feel a lot better with my system and purchased a lot of music.
    Now the only think that titiliating is whether to intent a speakers upgrade or not. Or getting a different sound. Not sure if an upgrade become an upgrade at the end of the day. I do not think thatvit might warrant the $4k or $5k it nowadays require to upgrade from my current speakers.

Khorn likes this.
  12. nht2.9

nht2.9 Forum Resident

After 50 years of SS I went tube. I will never go back. I added a streamer in the last few months and some interconnects. That’s about it for now.

RockAddict and Khorn like this.
  13. Khorn

That’s the key. You know you’re in a good place with your system when the focus turns from the equipment to the music.

Luc.Benac likes this.
  14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Totally satisfied with 'all' my equipment, cables, speaker stands, TT rack, cart - everything. Been satisfied for over 12 years.

I have specifically everything that I desired. Took a long time to find it.

Someday ... some new caps in my speakers but everything sounds fine now so no need to touch anything.

Just hope it all stays working fine. :agree:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    arcamsono, timind and Khorn like this.
  15. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I'm satisfied I think. But that may only be the result of numerous cases of expectation bias built up and amplified over the years with each "upgrade" or even "tweak" I made to the system, making me think things sound great. After all, in each of the numerous aforementioned upgrades I did no double-blind testing to really determine if each one really was an upgrade, so I may actually be deluding myself and the system sounds like s**t. You know, all in my head.

bluesky and Khorn like this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don’t really see anything as “upgrading” anymore. Sure, I would hope anything I buy would be an improvement but once you get to a certain point of fidelity it’s mostly just a different flavor.

I’m well past the point of getting the fever and lusting after equipment I can’t or shouldn’t afford. I’d swap my Cornwall’s for a pair of khorns if some great deal were to present itself. I’d gladly move my Mac 4100 for a pair of MC30’s but I’m fine if that never happens. It’s all just fun and entertainment.

also, if you buy vintage or used, it’s not nearly the commitment. Most stuff only depreciates once, let someone else take that hit and changing equipment can be free. You might even make some money if you buy it right.

Emergency Whiskey and Khorn like this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm rather content with my system.

May have something to do with not being able to visit my usual hifi shops and hearing new gear. Plus, few of the new electronics I might possibly be interested in are even sold in the PNW, at least that I'm aware of.

Khorn likes this.
  18. Khorn

A good audio upgrade should smack you in your face with no ambiguity about it. If it doesn’t look elsewhere. I’m changing equipment cause I know for sure what I’m missing right now and I’ll know immediately upon installation if I’ve hit the mark with only improvement with future burn in.

LeBud and Luc.Benac like this.
  19. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

My satisfaction with my system is inversely proportional to the amount of boredom and dread I feel week to week.

Needless to say I've made some improvements recently.

Luc.Benac and Khorn like this.
  20. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I'm after a little more refinement, but after a few tries to upgrade and fails, I fear significant improvements may be out of my budget, which isn't huge! I could be happy with what I have, except the stock cartridge, but there's always that "what if" in the back of my head.

Luc.Benac and Khorn like this.
  21. Khorn

Like so many of us here.

Luc.Benac likes this.
  22. Khorn

Hate the budget!

Noel Patterson likes this.
  23. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Ya, total buzz kill...

Khorn likes this.
  24. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I know I don't need to upgrade, and if it weren't within my financial reach, I wouldn't. But... I can afford to upgrade my system here and there, so I do. Swapping out equipment and experiencing your favourite music as if for the first time is half the fun.

25. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Yes. And yes. Out of the 4 systems up and running there is always an updgrade I can talk myself into. The latest was getting rid of a wall wart and going with a regulated power supply from Parts Express. Total cost was around 27.00 USD.

Khorn likes this.