Are you willing to spend 17k$ on speaker blind?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Reading your posts, you have millions of dollars of expendable income, so you shouldn't have to think twice about pulling the trigger. Just do it.

Stump likes this.
  2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm not trying to be difficult. The parts alone are quite costly for the drivers.Even decent replicas. Much of what is done in this area of pre-WWII horn style speakers is DIY. But it isn't cheap.
    @Salectric and @Larry I are in this space and could provide a better sense of what is involved.
    If it were me, I'd need to rely on someone with some knowledge to fabricate since I don't have those skills.

3. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Auditorium use the A22 from Line Magnetic. The thread starter never left a link to the deal.As these speakers are custom made I would be surprised if they would be available from anyone other then a Line Magnetic dealer...... He should buy them and let us know IF they arrive..

4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

No. I only gamble with my life, never my money.

Kyhl likes this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Huh, well ok then. One down, I guess.
    I had read somewhere, a while ago, that the GIP replica of the compression driver was better than the Line Magnetic but I'd have to dig. I used to read Jeffrey Jackson's blog, HiFi Heroin, simply because it was a kick. I think @hvbias has a lot of hard-earned knowledge in this space too. I'm aware of some of the products, including the original stuff, but never really dug down deeply. Thank you.

hvbias likes this.
  6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I don't know too much about the GIP and Line Magnetic, I researched mostly on GOTO and ALE. Very few of these systems in the US and besides Jeffrey's most of these owners are fairly private. I was going to go to Jeffrey Jackson's to hear his nearly entirely GOTO system but before that could happen heard a simpler system that used a single constant directivity horn for mid and treble that essentially stopped me dead in my tracks for what I was looking for.

Bill Hart likes this.
  7. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

l am back to my home half hour ago.

After listening to my Lansche 4.1 speaker , I will decide if I need a second system with big horn.

I have only 5 hours left for sale before making decision.

Thanks everybody for valuable opinions.

I could not respond since I had been crossing Pacific Ocean last 12 hours.

8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Man, that reminds me of one of the lawyers I used to deal w/- i sent him a fax- that's how long ago this was, and he apologized for being stuck in LA traffic. I said, 'dude, you mean you don't have fax capability in your car?" He started apologizing, like it was common. :)

bever70 likes this.
  9. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

You are correct as I have seen and read about GIP replica compression driver.They are also more then twice the price of Line Magnetic.

10. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

11. gov

gov Forum Resident

Plus if you’re a new user you get another $5.00 off so it actually works out to be only $14,842.30.

Dax_Frost, JMAC, SJP and 6 others like this.
  12. thomaskong

Stump likes this.
  13. thomaskong

14. thomaskong

15. thomaskong

16. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

All I can say is buy with extreme caution from this site. Only pay with a card that will get you a full refund.I know for a fact this amp and others on the sale site are just not made anymore and impossible for this site to have them for sale.Should you buy without problems you will find they are well worth the money...Good Luck. Stump

17. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I would definitely not. especially horns which every one of them have been to my ears coloured and lacking in one way or another

if I had to buy blind, id buy something that I can resell easily without losing too much money. Line magnetic speakers are definitely not the case..the new avant garde trio xd model for about 30k. probably can get around 20k with a decent dealer. that can be sold back without losing too much

thomaskong likes this.
  18. thomaskong

I had heard Avant Garde Trio which appeared to me not having seemless bass integration.

I have more expectation of lively sound from Line Magnetic speakers.

With less than 2 hours to get the discount, I am listening to my Lansche 4.1 after two weeks of break in Asia for dental work.

19. murphythecat

you expect the line magnetic, a company with a very limited experience in building horns speakers, that basically specialize in building amps, to sound better then Avant guarde...

you have expectations of a more live sound vs Avant guard, how? by looking at pictures and listening to youtube demos? what a joke

did you also bought your 50k Lanshe 4.1 blind?

20. thomaskong

I had home audition of Lansche 4.1 with condition of one week return.

Avantgarde horn did not touch my heart because of its bass integration problem, that is, bass slower than mid range horn.

The reason that I have more expectation from Line Magnetic is because it is a replica of WE big horns.

I had listened to many original WE vintage horns and liked them but they are out of my reach (300k$ or more).

If Line Magnetic speaker can approach 70% of WE vintage horn, then I may be able to tame the sound to the voicing that I want.

But there is some uncertainty whether I can tame the sound or not.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. murphythecat

the reason why original WE sound the way they sound is in part the quality of the drivers: all alnico, ect.

There's quite a few companies that offer full range horn loaded speakers and that you could probably arrange a demo in the US.

22. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Making great amps is one thing, designing, voicing and manufacturing a speaker is a whole other world.

23. If you are seriously thinking to spend 17k plus on speakers, why don't you spend another $500 or less and go listen to them. You can get a cheap airfare and hotel for that or less to almost anywhere in the USA.

chacha likes this.
  24. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The LMs and WE speakers IMO sound vastly better than any and all Avante Garde speakers. After hearing a Shindo/Analog Domain and custom Horn (very similar to the LM it was one of the 2 or 3 best systems I've ever heard. Perhaps going the custom made route will yield superior results. Analog Domain and the Shindo were well over $200k however. The Custom speakers were over $50k.

lastly, Line Magnetic was in the Western Electric repair and restoration business for over a decade servicing units from South Korea and Japan. Indeed, LM is also known as Korea Magnetic. They have the original WE electric machinery to make all of these products and the original specs. It's basically WE but new and less expensive.

Stump likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no, not even with my eyes wide open! LOL...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.