Article: Some eBay sellers frustrated with rule changes

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

2. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

The biggest change I see is no more checks or money orders. So unless you spring for a merchant credit card account, eBay now only accepts PayPal as a method of payment.

I love how they try to spin it that electronic payments are "safer" than cash, checks or money orders. This might have some truth to it, but they are the only methods of payment that are (ahem, were) immune from PayPal fees. :rolleyes:

3. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I think that is wrong not to let people pay with a money order. I kind if like sellers not being able to leave negative for the most part though.

4. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

Well, I am now a silver power seller and its the only game in town so what can you do?

5. KeithH

How can eBay enforce the PayPal-only rule? They can't stop a buyer and seller from communicating and working out payment by check or money order. I guess eBay could require a buyer and seller to close out a transaction by a certain date, with the only way to officially close it out being the record of a PayPal transaction. Then I suppose that eBay could suspend the buyer's and seller's accounts if there has been no PayPal transaction by the deadline. Would eBay go that far?

6. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200808.shtml#2008-08-20070116

is the eBay announcement.

The key part on 'enforcement' is the re-programming of the checkout. You won't get your address or contact information until you've paid by approved methods. Remember all initial communication is already moderated through eBay's servers.

I'm more worried about low volume sellers getting shorted out by the 4.3 DSR. I've delivered everything, in a reasonable time, yet my DSR sits at 4.7 because someone gave me a 4 out of five sometime in the last year. Another of those and I'll be on the limit, two more and as you can see there goes eBay. I'd be interested to know how you build your DSR back up if you can't list items. That part of the system is definitely broken, whatever eBay says about 'small percentages' of sellers.

7. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I have a feeling they may have to rethink the no money order thing. That seems like a bit much to me. It will certainly reduce the number of buyers if it isn't changed.

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Detailed Seller Rating. Starting earlier this year, sales are 'rated' by your customer for accuracy(item as described), shipping time, communication, and shipping charges. The star rating is in a box on your feedback profile, public view (click on the number next to the ebay handle). I have 15 sales since the rating started.

The way it's designed, there is no 'average' rating like in most 'voting' surveys. Low volume sellers who don't get 5 out of 5 every sale are at risk (though eBay do note that this may not be a hard limit in other discussions). Survey psychology is complex, and not my field, but I remember reading that given a choice people don't vote 5 out of 5 for something they think is 'normal' - like getting your disk in 12 days by media mail. They vote 3 or 4. That won't keep me above 4.3.

10. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

WOW! I just saw this: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/MaxShipping/#EB-DynamicTabs-DisplayArea_tab2
    The maximum a seller can now charge to ship a CD is $3.00, $4.00 for an LP. This is going to have huge ramifications within the community, methinks.

For the record, my shipping charges are pretty close to that, but at $3.00 I'll either have to start offering media mail (which customers hate due to it's incredible slowness) or ship in lower quality packaging which will increase the possibility transit damage. Crazy.

11. KeithH

I'm not surprised that eBay is fixing shipping charges. They are finally addressing fee avoidance. Making things fair for buyers is an unintended consequence.

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

This will effect plenty of the Ebay media merchants who charge ~$2 for a CD, then try to hit you with $7.95 shipping to recoup their costs.

I've pretty much given up on selling on Ebay - too much power for the buyers, especially if you are selling something like vacuum tubes or records, where quality is easily perceived by the buyer.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I hope this change drives those clowns OOB.

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

E-Bay can do what they want and if someone doesn't like it then they won't use them. When you are the main dude on the block you kinda set and change the rules as you want.

16. joefont

joefont Senior Member

They need to define these charges a little more clearly! I presume it's $3.00 for a single CD; what about multiple-disc box sets? I currently charge $2.50 for a single CD and $4.00 for a single LP. However I have been considering an LP shipment increase to $4.50 due to the increased cost of packing materials. But I guess that ain't happening now! I suppose I'll have to increase the CD shipping charge to $3.00 to help offset the LP shipping charges! That $4.00 figure is too low! This will drive the small LP sellers OOB. Right now I'm at about the break even point; and I buy LP mailers 250-500 at a time! :sigh:

17. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I wish Google would get into the online auction business, and kick eBay's rear end! :realmad:

Derek

18. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

I'm right there with ya. Shipping a 4 oz CD via USPS First Class mail with delivery confirmation in a lightweight bubble mailer costs $2.60. 2 CD's and your over the max. This doesn't include the cost of the packaging or any handling charges, this is the actual shipping costs.

I'd be curious to see how they arrived at the $3.00 and $4.00 number. My guess is they held a focus group and asked them how much they'd be willing to pay for shipping without taking into consideration the actual costs involved.

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I guess Ubid just didn't take off like e-bay.

20. alanb

alanb Senior Member

"and may also offer other options above the maximums for expedited or international shipping."
    I suppose LP sellers could word it that for $4 you get the LP in a thin cardboard package whenever OR you can pay more for a better packed and faster delivery--BUT - i suppose that will not solve the problem if someone says they will pay the max set by EBAY of $4 and if the thing arrives bent or whatever they are going to complain?

Madness!
    It's true , they are the only kid on the block and they can call the shots.:shake:

21. joefont

joefont Senior Member

If I'm reading this correctly, I have to at least offer a $4 LP shipping charge EVEN if the buyer is overseas! This is insane!!! There is absolutely no freakin' way I can send an LP anywhere overseas for $4!!!! If this change holds, I don't see any other option but to restrict LP sales to USA buyers only!

22. alanb

alanb Senior Member

You are not reading it correctly.
    These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S.

and may also offer other options above the maximums for expedited or international shipping

23. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Looks like Media Mail is the only option at that maximum.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don't understand. How can Ebay prevent me from accepting money orders as a form of payment?

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Why? First Class Mail for a cd is cheaper and faster than Media Mail. The cost? Only $1.85.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.