*Artist's* First Below Great Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trixmay 988, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The premise might be somewhat flawed, because many artists began with an album which, while hardly sub-par, nevertheless gave little hint of what they were really capable of.

Exhibit A would be Bob Dylan whose first album, consisting of cover versions and two obviously derivative originals, caused little stir in 1962. Then there was an astonishing leap in quality with his second album, which was maintained for his third and then slid somewhat (imo) with fourth. He was triumphantly back on track for the next four, though!

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

There are many people (in Britain, at least) who only like Piper.....and positively loathe everything else put out under the Pink Floyd name.

Mickey2 likes this.
  3. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Yes, I know. That's why I said "almost a different band."

Siegmund likes this.
  4. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

This supports my perspective, that new artists tend to develop over time, reaching a peak, then a tapering off, with intermittent rebounds. Dylan is a good example, although with such a long and winding career, he managed more rebounds than most probably.

Siegmund likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's why I asked the OP if debuts are fair game.

OP prefers for the thread to cover first "below great" album after the 1st great album, so that leaves out debuts!

6. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I'm a big fan of all these artists (and even these albums), but I'd consider them their first noticeable dip for me, personally:

Tom Waits' "Black Rider" (although it IS the soundtrack to an experimental stage play) was a bit of a drop off for a moment there, his 13th album.

Prefab Sprout "The Gunman And Other Stories" 6th album

The Waterboys "Dream Harder" 6th album

7. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Good assessment!

8. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams Thread Starter

I don't think so. Every album was drastically different to the last right from the start, so the idea that they finally found their direction with Meddle doesn't sound accurate to me because right after Meddle they made a bunch of albums that were very different from each other, like Saucerful was to Piper and Atom Heart Mother was to Ummagumma. I think this is just said by people who aren't the biggest fans of pre-Meddle (with perhaps Piper excluded). I love all of it so, Ummagumma excluded, I see no severe highs and lows with the music.

I also hear Saucerful as a pretty natural progression from Piper even if they are very different, so I can't agree they sound like different bands either.

ARK likes this.
  9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Sign O the Times happened to be the best album of the 80's

thekid87 and daveidmarx like this.
  10. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I'd say one and done.

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Pavement
    Up until about two years ago I would have said Wowee Zowee, but now it’s Brighten the Corners.

12. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

For me, Van’s consistency in making good/great albums is unmatched.

13. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

Just heard Three Chords & The Truth and it's another one.

The MEZ likes this.
  14. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

David Bowie's hard to figure, since his easily overlooked mostly forgotten 1st album of music hall-ish ditties is such poor indicator of what was to come.

So if we start with Man of Words, Man of Music (reissued as Space Oddity after Ziggy hits ) as the first real Bowie album, he releases 5 albums of original material before slipping a notch with Diamond Dogs.

This is partly down to the fact that he played all the guitar on the album himself, and Mick Ronson is very sorely missed. Also he's totally exhausted and it shows in some of the songs and lyrics....

Monosterio and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  15. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

True and just watch Cracked Actor for further clarification of his mental state by 1974..

Hiraeth likes this.
  16. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Jackson Browne -- seven, Lawyers in Love (though the real dropoff comes with Lives in the Balance)

James Taylor -- five, Walking Man (not counting the Flying Machine demo, which I love but is too rudimentary to consider truly great)

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Diamond Dogs" is a great album. Viewing "Man Who Sold the World" as his first great album, Bowie wouldn't have an "un-great" album until "Let's Dance"...

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Think this clip says it all for me.

19. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

that's fine....

its just an age thing--i bought Alladin Sane in real time in 1973, went back and bought Ziggy, Hunky Dory and Man Who Sold...and i was a MASSIVE Mick Ronson fan.

i like a lot of the songs on DD, but as a very young Bowie fanatic i always felt it would have been 1000% better if the Spiders were the band that made it.....

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  20. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

yes--amazing movie. Bowie is on the edge of cocaine psychosis at that point. shocking to see....

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That’s my Bowie pick too. :righton:

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

sorry for slow response time...Wow u sure are generous to Neil and his Geffen era. But what is the story behind Say
    You Will. Am not familiar. Can you expand on this?

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NRPS switch over to MCA Label- 1st album ...

24. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Pablo is a classic compared to some of their later ones IMO.

25. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Graham Parker &Rumour-Up Escalator. Even with hot Iovine as producer, it sounds like a dub of a dub. 3rd generation down. Talk about in need of a remix but never will cause it never sold. The material is also a notch below previous lp
    Sparks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.