Artists Who Hate/Dislike One Of His/Her Biggest Hit Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FaithMonkey, Jul 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Or they, you know, just don't like the song.

Crack To The Egg, bzfgt and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Changes" was the first Bowie song I ever liked, as I enjoyed it back when I was 7 in 1974. Didn't become an actual Bowie fan until almost a decade later and don't much care for the song now, but my childhood affection for it leaves a sentimental connection!

Of those 3, I suspect "YA" is the one Bowie hated most of all. Though he claimed he'd never play the 1990 tour songs again, he trotted out most of them in later years - but not "YA". That one stayed off sets even while almost all of the other "banned hits" made the rounds!

bzfgt, Jarleboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

This is very true. "Angel," "True Blue," and "Causing a Commotion" seem to be Madonna's "lost" 80s hits. None of them have been represented on any of Madonna's Greatest Hits albums.

Jarleboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Bowie's attitude toward his hits seemed to change as often as his hairstyle. I'm sure in 1990 when he claimed the Sound & Vision tour would be his last "hits" tour he meant that he was tired of certain songs. By 2004 Rebel Rebel was opening every show on the Reality tour. I seem to recall Bowie once saying when he was writing new material he loathed everything he'd ever done.

5. So have I...

bzfgt, funhouse, cozy and 3 others like this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I have much love for many songs for sentimental/nostalgic reasons, so I get that.

That said, I didn't get into Bowie until much later (relative to other classic rock artists) simply because Changes and Rebel Rebel were two of the few songs I knew of his from the 60's/70's, and I didn't like either, plus none of the friends I had at the time were Bowie fans, so I had no one in my ear telling me to dig deeper (this was pre-'net).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

He may hate it but he had no problem allowing it to make him more money thru it's use in a recent ad campaign. I appreciate Queen but I'm not a fan because of songs like Don't Stop Me Now. Sounds like granny music to me.

Man at C&A and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

beat me to it. that's what I was going to post. the bands manager actually brought them 2 songs and had them pick. they felt the flame was a song that at least sounded a bit like them. the other song was look away later recorded and made a huge hit by Chicago

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In 1990, Bowie claimed he was retiring the "hits" as a creative challenge. He said he wanted to remove the safety net they provided and he wanted to force himself to take more chances at concerts.

Which he did when he toured in 1995 - and he got a not so great reaction, so the hits started to return the next year.

By 2003-04, he essentially played like the 1990 "ban" never existed. As noted, "YA" never came back, and he only did "Space Oddity" a couple of times, but the other notable tunes were played many times over the years.

I don't think he hated all the 1990 songs or even was that tired of some/most of them - I really do believe he wanted to challenge himself.

The reality of concerts in front of fairly large audiences with sets comprised solely of new/obscure material whacked him in the head in 1995, though!

Man at C&A and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I doubt Brian May makes any money off of Don't Stop Me Now since Freddie has the sole songwriting credit and I suspect all royalties for his songs go to those listed in his will (maybe he listed fellow band members, but I doubt it).

Jarleboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd consider it more kiddie than granny. Kids love Queen.

12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

According to Joe Walsh from liner notes from his box set he said he wished he never wrote Funk 49.

Adam Yauch (RIP) of the Beastie Boys in Sounds Of Science said Fight For Your Right was included on the comp because it sucks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I kind of agree with him! He was such a talented songwriter that had so many great songs. The entire album of 'Lawyers, Guns and Money' is a prime example, IMO.

Jarleboy, willwin and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Touch of Grey was referred to as “that damn hit” by Jerry Garcia, and his reason was valid. That hit single opened the gates, and millions of new fans (touch heads) came on board. Consequently the scene became flooded and chaotic. Probably the beginning of the end.

bzfgt, Galactus2 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Bruce Hornsby dislikes “Every Little Kiss” and doesn’t play it live.

Flock of Seagulls pretty much hate the song that put them on the map, “I Ran”

bzfgt likes this.
  16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Didn't Bowie open his Live Aid set with Rebel Rebel?

Dugan and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

They sure do. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the most streamed song ever.

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  18. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

Roger Taylor has always hated "Another One Bites The Dust," I believe, and was against it becoming a single.

I can see the other side of this, though. I remember when I saw Cornershop live a few years back - great show, top band - every gap was punctuated with cries from the crowd demanding their one big hit "Brimful Of Asha." When they finally whipped it out near the end a lot of people left, missing the magnificent closer of "Jullandar Shere." That must be frustrating.

19. r32motorman

r32motorman Well-Known Member

Went through the whole thread waiting for someone to mention Robert Plant and Stairway to Heaven...

Yeah, he hates that song...

20. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

I never knew this. I guess he hated it because the song represented such a departure in their sound.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I did a poll about that song too.

:D

Jarleboy and cquiller1 like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I recall reading that Todd Rundgren doesn't like "I Saw The Light."

bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Maurice Ravel wrote his famous Bolero mostly as a mere exercise/experiment, and he never considered it as real piece of art. He never liked it very much, and was surprised by Bolero’s huge success, and at some point he started to hate it, because it overshadowed everything else he composed.

bzfgt, pudgym, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  24. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Andy Partridge of XTC was fine with leaving Dear God off the original Skylarking album pressing because he felt it missed the mark.

blastfurniss and Jarleboy like this.
  25. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I saw an interview once with Jani Lane of "Warrant". He said he hated the song "Cherry Pie". He originally wanted the album to be called "Uncle Tom's Cabin" but after the label heard "Cherry Pie" they made it the title of the new album. He said the song was written quickly because the label said they wanted something that could be a single.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.