Artists who re-recorded versions of their earlier songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sloaches, Oct 1, 2018.

1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Wow. Sounds like you really have it in for the OP. Maybe it is slightly annoying when someone starts a thread on an already existing topic, but is it really worth getting worked up about it to this extent?

If ever I do start a thread with "I searched and didn't find...", you are welcome to stay out of it.

ARK, Tim 2 and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

a) Who said I had it in for anyone? Or for that matter, "worked up"...?
    b) Haven't been insultingly offended like that for expressing an opinion since last week when some joker named bob_...heyyy...are you by any chance from Perth...?
    c) Thank you for "welcoming" me to stay out of somebody else's thread. Please leave the keys on the hook on your way out.

3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

And a lot of Columbia for Capitol.

4. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Jane’s Addiction re-recorded “Chip Away” and “Whores” to commemorate their 2009 tour with Nine Inch Nails

5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Def Leppard Tear It Down 1987 Hysteria sessions and B side to Women.
    Rerecorded for the 1992 album Adrenalize although I don't know why.
    The 87 version is superior they should have just used it.

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Jimmy Webb recorded "P. F. Sloan" on his debut album, and reworked it some time later for another studio album.
    He did the same thing with "Song Seller".

In both cases I did not see the point. There is nothing wrong with either of the updated recordings, but they are not improvements on the originals, nor are they sufficiently different to call them "re-imagined".

vzok likes this.
  7. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Can anyone advise if The Long Goodbye by Gary Brooker etc is a re-rcording, or re-interpretation, of classic / classical Procol Harum ?

FWIW I also happen to like The Long Goodbye album.

8. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Not going to wade through 11 pages to see if my fave is listed...which is Gordon Lightfoot's The Way I Feel, which is on his debut LP as a folk song... revisited immediately on his next LP, which is given the same title... sophomore version has light psych production and imho doesn't work nearly as well as original...

JediJoker likes this.
  9. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

4 out of the 9 tracks on that 2nd Split Enz album were re-recordings of tracks from their New Zealand/Australia-only released debut album (Mental Notes, with a lovely painting of the band on the cover), against the wishes of one of their songwriters Phil Judd who wanted to just record new songs.

Then for some bizarre reason the 2nd album is released as "Second Thoughts" in New Zealand/Australia, but they call it "Mental Notes" everywhere else (same name as the NZ/Aus debut, nearly identical painting on the cover with band lineup changes made to the painting)

goodiesguy likes this.
  10. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Peter Gabriel - Here Comes the Flood

11. pabloli150

pabloli150 Member

Sorry for the offtopic.

James i was trying to send you a message but the forum wasn't allowing me.

May i ask you where or who in Dublin might check a two 12ax7 phono preamp that after the trip is not powering on anymore? it a real one that someone made for me in Spain. Thanks and sorry for writing here, i'm happy to delete the message but still dont have permission in the forum to send a pm.

12. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

So far, I have one case that isn't widely known.
    Goo Goo Dolls re-recorded "Name" for a greatest hits album. It might be because the drummer was replaced before the original became a hit, but more likely due to a falling out with the record label.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  13. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

UFO -the last 2 tracks on the album "Walk on water"---Worthy versions

24:33 Doctor Doctor- 95 version
    47:00 Light Out- 95 version

14. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

15. Oingo Boingo recorded “Boingo Alive” where they re-recorded songs originally recorded under A&M. The band performed the songs live in a studio with no audience.

16. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Loretta Lynn has been re-recording some of her biggest hits on her last few albums.

She just re-recorded Coal Miner's Daughter for her most recent album, Wouldn't It Be Great:

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Bellamy Brothers have re-recorded their hits multiple times

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Amy Grant has re-recorded El Shaddai a bunch of times.

19. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Carole King does the Goffin & King hits she never really released. "Pearls"

20. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Sex Pistols re-recorded Anarchy in the UK and Pretty Vacant for Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock and World Tour repsectively in 2007 and 2008.

As far as Megadeth posts in this thread - I find A Tout le Monde (Set Me Free) with Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil to be pretty good and actually this track was meant to be just a bonus for Japan, so blame the label for making it single off United Abominations back in 2007. For 2004 remixes I guess it doesn't qualify for the OP aim because only vocals were re-recorded. More appropriate entry would be Megadeth's take on These Boots Are Made for Walking that was originally featured on their 1985 debut album (under the name These Boots) and later re-recorded for Dudes OST in 1987.

Next step, Dead Kennedys - California Uber Alles was re-recorded in 1980 for the debut album and the original version was released only in 1987 on a compilation.

Back to Megadeth, New World Order was re-recorded for 2011 Th1rt3en. Actually some might count Black Swan and Millenium of the Blind too, but the first is more like a remix and latter being a completed song only featured as a raw demo before.

Guitar Hero also has "re-recorded" connections with Living Color - Cult of Personality, Poison - Talk Dirty to Me, Motorhead - Overkill and Ace of Spades, Alice Cooper - No More Mr. Nice Guy and The Runaways - Cherry Bomb. Buckethead - Jordan might be applicable because it was the first studio version of a song he performed live.

Rage Against the Machine re-recorded Darkness of Greed (off 1991 Demo Tape) for The Crow OST in 1993 as Darkness and Year of the Boomerang (originally recorded in 1994 for Higher Learning OST) for their 1996 Evil Empire with changing "the" to "tha" in the title.

21. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I think Masterpieces by Ellington (1951) was his first shot at redoing a few of his classics in more expansive arrangements for LP, but then The Popular Ellington (1966) is a good example of the artist remaking a set of greatest hits for his new label (RCA) to market to the masses.

22. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Jeff Tweedy’s album last year, Together at Last, is a set of new acoustic versions of songs previously recorded with Wilco.

23. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Now you're picking on Perth. You really have worked up some anger issues. I'm sure there's a passing cloud you can yell at.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

Skimming through this thread I didn't see these:
    Pure Prairie League re-recorded hits and album tracks for Mementos and now sell that same CD at their merchandise table as a "Best of".
    Orleans re-recorded their hits for their CD Analog Man and for No More Than You Can Handle.
    The Association re-recorded some hits for K-Tel and a later album called Vintage.
    The Five Americans re-recorded their hits Western Union, Zip Code and Sound of Love after a brief reunion.

25. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

It was the seventies. The rest of the world was having difficulties understanding that music was happining elsewhere.