Artists whose songs all sound the same to you

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gazzaa2, Dec 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The Four Tops :hide:

Points for admitting it, though...

2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

"dog on the road" is a legit great ac/dc song.

3. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Any band where I haven't heard many of their songs...

...also any band I don't like...

...and AC/DC 'cos Angus says so
    :winkgrin:

Earscape likes this.
  4. LennyC.

LennyC. Forum Resident

What is it with this Beatle band i hear so much about? Imlove the Beatles, have an accomplished collection of their nusic, but i do find the admiration for this band tiring and over the top. They changed the landscape, but so did Chuck Berry, Elvis, and so on. They get their fair share of flack, the Beatles are not above that. Some of their work was genius, but that also counts for other artists pre, during and after the Beatles era.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You probably know, but this was wrote by Holland-Dozier-Holland in response to criticisms that Motown songs all sounded the same.

6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

A lot of mentions of Status Quo, but the name doesn't really set expectations for a lot of changes... ;)

7. hotassun

hotassun Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen

FillmoreGuy, Earscape and sekaer like this.
  8. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

The Beach Boys.

Earscape and fretter like this.
  9. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

pavement? sonic youth seriously!!!

BeauZooka and Deja Doh like this.
  10. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You've never heard his albums I presume? For a start he uses all sorts of different vocal registers depending on the material.

12. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Well, they did change their style at least once , let's not forget they started out as a pop band with psychedelic overtones in the 60's

gregorya and joemarine like this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' Mud Slide Slim.. ' ' One Man Dog ', ' Gorilla ' et al...
    I know these are different James Taylor albums but they all sound the same to me.

veloso2 likes this.
  14. thematinggame

the Motown sound is the same, the tunes /melodies aren't

danasgoodstuff and Frangelico like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Not matter what 'style' or 'instrumentation' they use...
    BOTH
    -Cocteau Twins
    and
    -They Might Be Giants
    always sound like THEMSELVES....
    and, I enjoy both of 'em!

veloso2 and Jamsterdammer like this.
  16. thematinggame

he used the same group of musicians on most of his earlier albums , but I think there is enough stylistic variety between ballads like Don't let me lonely or Fire and rain and more rockier songs like Chili dog or Steamroller , also the whole One man dog album has a different concept to the preceding albums with connecting songs, instrumental interludes (featuring John McLaughlin) ,jigs and dances,etc

17. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Well, just about every artist and band has been mentioned so far... I guess everyone sounds the same to somebody.

Except for Bowie. He might escape this one.

22 ziggies, OneLife and Frangelico like this.
  18. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Nope, just TV appearances. Is there one I should listen to?

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"God Bless Tiny Tim"! There's even a poster on here named after it!

ARK and egebamyasi like this.
  20. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

No, you don’t understand. The Beatles must invade every thread in SHF... even the ones about Bulgarian folk singing. It’s a rule. Even on Johnny Action’s own “sexually suggestive band names” thread, somebody suggested The Beatles. You know, because beetles have sex.

Hedley Lamarr likes this.
  21. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Maroon 5 and Coldplay definitely, Radiohead meanwhile haven't been on a major label since Hail to the Thief and have generally had a lot of creative control over the years, so calling them "corporate" is a bit misleading.

I will agree though that their songwriting style hasn't changed that much since The Bends; still enjoy them nonetheless. :D

22. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

This is funny and somewhat true. Irrespective - great band and fun, clever lyrics

iskiv likes this.
  23. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

In general, it's inevitable for most artists to settle into a single niche songwriting-wise and stick with it through their careers, assuming they don't try to do any 180's like Bowie constantly did. Heck as this thread shows, even a lot of the more well-regarded acts like the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and Radiohead are guilty of it. You could make similar arguments for a large number of other acclaimed artists while we're at it (e.g. Queen, Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones [especially since Sticky Fingers], etc.). If anything my big takeaway isn't that these artists are bad (ignoring, of course, the Mike Love-fronted era of the Beach Boys' careers), more that consistency can still produce good results if it's properly managed. Besides, as previously mentioned in this thread, once you listen to an artist long enough, you can pick out key differences between works and eras even if the base sound remains the same.

I guess at this point the question to ask about an artist in regards to their quality isn't "do all their songs sound the same?" and more "is their songwriting template good and used well?" It certainly helps better draw the line between, say, Brian Wilson and Mike Love.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Apart from rap artists (I hate the genre so much that 5 seconds in and I'm done), I've never thought that an artist's songs "all sound the same". There might be a certain homogenous tone but there is always a degree of variation (I'm talking about things like ACDC, Ramones, Motorhead and headbanging Quo).

25. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Bo Diddley, but it's a really good song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.