Artists You Once Considered "Essential" But No Longer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bluesman Mark, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

This was inspired by the thread on some albums not aging well. I know we all have an artist or two or three..., that we once considered essential but as time went on & our musical tastes changed/grew/evolved/devolved, they fell out of our favor.

One of those for me is Eric Clapton. A caveat here, I never warmed to Cream all that much, (I had no idea who they were when I 1st heard Clapton), & I found Blind Faith an interesting, if failed, experiment. So, my main criteria for him is his solo stuff. 1st thing I heard by him was I Shot The Sheriff when I was 12 in 74 & I liked it enough to pick up his 1st solo album, 461 & Layla soon after. While I still has, liked & played all his solo albums up through Backless & Another Ticket, not long after that he started dropping off my radar.

Now all I have are the Icon single CD collection & Layla, which is the only album of his I still find essential, & not just because of Duane Allman being on it. The combo of Duane goading Eric to new musical heights & the impact of his, (then), unrequited love for Pattie Harrison spurred Eric to lay his soul bare, & still makes for an incredible album. Other than that I just don't care enough about his music anymore to have a large collection of it.

There's others I have similar feelings about, but that's a good start. Your turn. :D

1983, Lewisboogie, Bern and 13 others like this.
  2. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Same here. Got into Clapton around the time of 'August' in '86. Got all his earlier stuff and collaborations then. These days I'll play his stuff with Delaney & Bonnie and 'Backtrackin' and that's about it.

The Rolling Stones I rarely play anymore. Heard them all, bought a few, the most recent being 'Steel Wheels'.

Phil12 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The Beatles
    Bob Dylan
    Elvis Presley
    The Rolling Stones
    Chuck Berry
    Jimi Hendrix
    James Brown
    Little Richard
    Aretha Franklin
    Ray Charles
    Bob Marley
    The Beach Boys
    Buddy Holly
    Led Zeppelin
    Stevie Wonder
    Sam Cooke
    Muddy Waters
    Marvin Gaye
    The Velvet Underground
    Bo Diddley
    Otis Redding
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Fats Domino
    The Ramones
    Nirvana
    Prince
    The Who
    The Clash
    Johnny Cash
    Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    The Everly Brothers
    Neil Young
    Michael Jackson
    Madonna
    Roy Orbison
    John Lennon
    David Bowie
    Simon and Garfunkel
    The Doors
    Van Morrison
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Public Enemy
    The Byrds
    Janis Joplin
    Patti Smith
    Run-DMC
    Elton John
    The Band
    Howlin' Wolf
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Eric Clapton
    Dr. Dre
    Grateful Dead
    Parliament/Funkadelic
    Aerosmith
    Sex Pistols
    Louis Jordan
    Joni Mitchell
    Tina Turner
    Etta James
    Phil Spector
    The Kinks
    Al Green
    Cream
    The Temptations
    Jackie Wilson
    Carl Perkins
    The Police
    Frank Zappa
    AC/DC
    Radiohead
    Hank Williams
    The Eagles
    The Shirelles
    Beastie Boys
    The Stooges
    The Four Tops
    Elvis Costello
    The Drifters
    Eminem
    N.W.A.
    James Taylor
    Black Sabbath
    Tupac Shakur
    Gram Parsons
    Miles Davis
    The Yardbirds
    Carlos Santana
    Ricky Nelson
    Guns n' Roses
    Booker T. and the MG's
    Nine Inch Nails
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Martha and the Vandellas
    Diana Ross and the Supremes
    Roxy Music
    Curtis Mayfield
    Lee "Scratch" Perry

AveryKG, jmxw, hangwire13 and 18 others like this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

George Harrison (solo)

a customer, jdrueke, zonka and 6 others like this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

A lot of typing just to get a laugh

6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Are you burnt out on Jerry Solomon yet?

bzfgt and Brian Doherty like this.
  7. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I was a big Crowded House fan in the 90s, but I find it really hard to listen to them these days. I still think some of their ballads are lovely, but their pop songs are far too chirpy and bright. My tastes have changed with age, I guess. The only album of theirs I can play from start to finish is Together Alone, but even that has about four tracks that make me wince.

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

+1

oldsurferdude likes this.
  9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

When you say "essential", what does that mean to you? That you still automatically buy everything new they release? Every reissue? Still listen to regularly?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Never heard of any of these...Justin Bieber and Kanye West RULE!!!!..:tiphat:

BeatlesBop and Lightworker like this.
  11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I'll admit I like Gold Digger (insert Carlos Mencia quote here)...

[​IMG]

86mets likes this.
  12. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Rush
    Little Bobby Zimmerman
    Uncle Neil

The Trinity and Earscape like this.
  13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Any of my Beatles albums.

John Shaft and BSU like this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

beatles. I think I od'd on them in my youth.

1983, John Shaft, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  15. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

Eric Clapton.

I have a love / hate relationship.

He is the reason I play the guitar. Back in 1990 when I was 15 years old I was an EC freak, my world revolved around him. I had all the albums, posters in my bedroom, books, tabs, memorabilia, blackie Fender artist series strat, 5 years later a 00-28 Martin EC guitar. I LOVED him. I learned 99% percent of his songs. I played along the unplugged album everyday and in 94 when "from the cradle "was released I tried to copy all the solos until I got a hold of the official tabs. But then something happened, obviously he has always been famous, but around 2005 he became larger than life and not in a good way IMHO. He was everywhere,for years to come, his albums were boring ( back home in my opinion is one of the worst records by anyone) , his playing live was almost always on autopilot, where was the EC from 24 nights? Compare his guitar playing in that live album with One more car, one more rider. That 2001 live album is so uninspired. Then the crossroads concert, the first one is great, but then the magic was lost with the other ones. Seemed like he was in a happy place for the first time in his life but the artistry because of that was gone, in my opinion. For me the last great record he made is From the Cradle, it was inspired. Riding with the king and the Robert Johnson´s felt artificial. The rest of the albums are boring. He became lazy. The fire is gone. As much as I like JJ Cale I think EC wen´t to far with his worship of him, during a period of time everything sounded like it was written by JJ Cale. Look at Jeff Beck´s playing in these day of age, look at Clapton´s. Enough said.
    Back in the early 90's I begged the universe to met him and shake his hand. I m really glad I ´ve never had the oportunity, because I would be brokenhearted for sure, because most probably he wouldn´t be nice to me, it´s well documented that he is not very fond of speaking to fans.

I love the artist that inspired me to play the instrument, I love all the records he made until From The Cradle, I revisit his 70´s and 80´s music very often and absolutely love his work with Cream. I love the artist that opened the doors for me to learn about Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and the Vaughan brothers.

But sadly I don´t care about him and his musical production no more. The spark is gone. He will always be my musical hero but he is not even 1/3 of what he was as an artist. Im happy that he seems to have a bautiful life now though, he deserves it and I wish him all the health in the world, god bless him.

16. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

Jazz Fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra. They are extremely talented musicians but I grew tired of the long instrumental parts. I used to love this, now I can’t stand it.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Words to live by. So...now you're all about the lyrics, eh? ;)

bpmd1962 likes this.
  18. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Bob Dylan

thnkgreen and Earscape like this.
  19. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Never play the Beatles maybe revolver if pushed . Bob dylan , also Arcade fire loved em but not hot desire to play em for a long time

20. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Had not hot lol

21. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I think Clapton is one of those “you had to be there” sort of music icons. I have tried to get into his music, but outside of Cream and Dominoes I find his music to be safe, boring, bland, and uninspired. I understand that he was a trailblazer in his day, but in modern times he is the poster boy for generic middle aged white guy blues rock.

22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Essential to what? The quest for the holy hand grenade?

23. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Artists You Once Considered "Essential" But No Longer

24. Ref98

Ref98 Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen.
    When Born to Run was released it was listenable for a short period of time. I never was motivated to purchase or be interested in anything else he recorded. The CD I have has quite a bit of dust on it . Poorly recorded , there hasn’t been much of a reason to give it another listen .

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Hey..another thread to bash artists and albums...can never get enough of these...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.