AS you get older, do you find yourself using your system/s more than you used to?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Oct 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Less time (still substantial) but in a more “deliberate” manner.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Almost exact same story as yours except I turned 58 2 months ago. I’m having a wonderful time rebuilding and listening to records again!

3. siebrand

siebrand music lover

well yes, in faults ...
    I listen to much more music than in the past.
    I would have listened to quintalates even before December 2021. but I couldn't: I worked 11 hours a day ... then I went to retirement, and I have much more time for my hobby.
    It has nothing to do with the fact that in 3 decades I will be dead (I am 63 years old) and therefore time is running out.
    It's mine simpler:
    THE MORE TIME I HAVE, THE MORE MUSIC I LISTEN ...

4. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

At 56 yrs, definitely more for me.
    As (one of my) retirement gifts to myself, I'm upgrading my entire system as I have been listening a lot more and I'll utilize it like I've always wanted.

Have new speakers on the way and I'll be getting a new amp once those break in a bit, then I'll be done. I think...

Tim 2 and siebrand like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, I feel the same way. This is my relaxation inside the home.

6. I'm 69 and retired. I live on solar and battery power which restricts my listening time. The 1.5 years since relocating to the mountains has reduced my music time by 2/3's of what it was for many many years. Because of the long summer hours, I may get two albums a night but that depends on the battery charge. Winter can be days without turning on my system but a warm fire and good book have there own rewards.

siebrand likes this.
  7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

At 71 I know where you are coming from.
    I only discovered my favourite speakers. recently ( ESL57's)
    But for me it's business as normal.
    To depressing to think of the reality
    Of life's purpose and the finally of it all.
    The passion for good audio and
    It's equipment remains so onwards
    And upwards.
    Yes, I do listen more.

Robsonschoice likes this.
  8. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Just shy of 64, retired, caring for a disabled loved one. I usually get up in the morning, put an LP on in the living room and start a routine involving medicine, breakfast, dawg and cleaning. I normally listen to at least 2 or 3 albums, make some combination of pharmacy, post office, grocery store run, and then listen to 3 or 4 more albums in the afternoon/evening. So yes I listen a lot more than I use to.

McLover, DPC and siebrand like this.
  9. siebrand

siebrand music lover

This!
    I never, never NEVER power on the TV.

Sorry, no... that's not true... I power it on, now and than, but only for watching DVD's or BluRay concert_films... :D

10. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Interesting question. As my music library grows and diversifies, there are more things to listen to, so I do listen more. I also watch a lot less TV than I used to, so more time with the stereo.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  11. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I really need a man cave. Unfortunately, that will never happen. My S. Fla-style home just isn't designed that way.

S. Fla - no basements.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  12. Christian Evans

Christian Evans Forum Resident

Count me in as another who got the lucky number with Covid. Working from home turned from 10% to 90%. That has led me to increase my daily listening to about 2 hours a day.

13. lazydawg58

How about one of the bonus rooms above the garage?

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

As I get older, I sometimes stare at the wall.
    Music is good.
    It's been like 108F here for months.
    I have not been in to firing up my many tubes. Maybe this isn't a summer pursuit. I do have another system, but I'm lazy. ...
    When I do go to the trouble, bliss....

doctor fuse likes this.
  15. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Biil,

Get yourself a nice 'summer' amp for the big system. It's good for a change; the lighter perspective of solid state is a nice compliment for the hot summer. Then bring back the tubes and all their warmth for the winter. I use a Coda S12.5 for summer and then a 380W Graaf (18-tubes) room heater for winter.

Take care,
    Neil

siebrand likes this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Living off the grid has it's downfalls.
    Less music :mad:

Hendertuckie, doctor fuse and McLover like this.
  17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I live in SW Fla. 98% of all the homes here are one floor only.

My garage is 87 degrees on a nice 'cool day' and full of tools, tool boxes, racks, scaffolding, Heavy workbenches ... it's a real workshop - another type of guy's dream space.

In the attic - 100 degrees plus daily - it's a sauna sweat bath. And it's just a 'tight' space that can only be used for minimum storage.

Love the S. Fla 'modern' home style but it just isn't designed for any type of mancave. You have to visually see the inside living room/kitchen wall configuration to understand - it's open on the top. It's beautiful, just not designed for a stereo 'system'. Play the stereo and the entire house becomes a 'speakers'. But we have 3 stereo systems anyway (living room, family room, bedroom 2) - LOL :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    MartyTem and lazydawg58 like this.
  18. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Music is what I have left. Developed leukemia in 2014, chemo for a year, closed my practice and retired, relapsed, had a bone marrow transplant, and now I'm in strict isolation because of no immunity. How much fun a pandemic came along in the middle of all that! I used to go out and use all my vintage cameras and develop film as well, but having just moved to suit my wife's future requirements as a putative widow, I have no darkroom any more. I'll figure that out if I have a chance, given a collection of daylight loading tanks and scanners. But music keeps me sane, sort of....

lazydawg58 and doctor fuse like this.
  19. lazydawg58

You are in my prayers.

drmoss_ca likes this.
  20. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

I am 68 and my hearing is so bad now that only a few hours a week will do. That is at 75db and lower. I keep my analogue Radio Shack DB meter with me checking the sound level. Back in the day it was at least 3 hours a day 7 days a week.

21. Toucaloucs

Toucaloucs Well-Known Member

Ill health followed by covid redundancy meant a lot of time to sit and listen for the last 4 years.
    I reckon 3-4 hours a day minimum at home.
    Double that with portable means.

lazydawg58 and doctor fuse like this.
  22. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Not listening more, but appreciating it more. I dont know how long I'll live, but I might be lucky and have another 2 decades, 3 if I'm very lucky. Listening to music is never a waste of time for me. It's such a beautiful thing. I'm still buying music, but in a considered way. I think about how much I want something, how much I'll listen to it.

doctor fuse likes this.
  23. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

More. I'm semi-retired and have more time to enjoy music.

Alan2 and lazydawg58 like this.
  24. dover1968

dover1968 Forum Resident

Best post so far, agree completely. As if the crap programs weren't bad enough. I ditched my cable and got youtube premium. Now i can watch what i want, and no commercials. BTW, you can learn a lot about audio components on youtube, but you probably knew that. :evil:

Hendertuckie likes this.
  25. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I listen much more in the last few years. I work a lot , but with my kids now adults I have a lot more time at the end of the day. One of the biggest reasons it the advent of hi Rez storage and steaming. I have discovered so much music in the past five years …. In addition my gear is better so it is much more engaging. I rarely watch TV, music is my oasis where I can just zone out

Alan2 and doctor fuse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.