Attention, Negativland fans!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Jun 14, 2017.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Soon..........

[​IMG]

2. vince

Do YOU live in LONDON??
    If so, I'm SO JEALOUS!!!!!
    Cafe OTO → Negativland, 27–28 October 2019

27–28 OCTOBER 2019

BABA YAGA'S HUT PRESENTS:
    NEGATIVLAND
    SUNDAY 27 OCTOBER 2019, 7.30PM
    NEGATIVLAND – DAY ONE
    £20 £18 (SEE TICKETS)
    MONDAY 28 OCTOBER 2019, 7.30PM
    NEGATIVLAND – DAY TWO
    £20 £18 (SEE TICKETS)
    For the first time in 34 years of presenting unique one-of-a-kind stage shows, Negativland performs radically new audio-visual versions of many Negativland fan-favorites that have never before been heard live. Negativland’s current performance project finds them teaming up with with electronic musician Wobbly, and “live cinema” video artist Steev Hise, to create a visually and sonically unique performance that reinvents favorite past and present dialog cut-ups, while showcasing Negativland’s homemade electronic noise-making devices that they call “Boopers.”

Boopers, in case you were wondering, are intentionally unstable homemade analog feedback boxes, first created in 1975 by David Wills, a founding member of Negativland. By taking a simple clock radio amplifier and sending its output back into its input to create feedback, and then adding multiple transistors, capacitors, and resistors, along with various knobs and switches to unpredictably control and modulate the signal, the sound that emerges is wildly variable. This creates a dynamic where the Negativland member playing the Booper becomes a fellow collaborator with the device. Using as many as seven Boopers on stage at once (all based on Wills’ original design), Negativland further structures, manipulates, and augments these sounds with found voices, cut-up spoken word, ungainly pulsing rhythms, and live collaged visuals.

3. vince

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. vince

[​IMG]

What happens when you've spent your whole adult life manipulating tape and found sound to expose hypocrisy, greed and stupidity while puncturing the pompous balloon of fame and power only to discover you're now living in a post-truth reality where, literally, nothing matters? That was the dilemma facing the members of experimental music collective and legendary culture jammers Negativland when they began assembling their upcoming double album, True False.
    Negativland Search for Truth in a Post-Fact World on 'Discernment': Premiere

quarl23 likes this.
  5. vince

6. vince

Of course.....
    my precious PEOPLE LIKE US are opening for Negativland, at the London show!!!!!!
    WISH I WAS THERE!!!!

7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Wobbly took over the controls at Crack o Dawn and played records, all the way through, no kiddin'. Great show. Fun to hear him in a different context being a little, more straight ahead. Played video game soundtrack music, French folk electronica? or something. Coool show. Love Over The Edge a lot. Mindblowingly good. Who need drugs. This is it and you have no hangover and don't wake up in jail. Viva Negativeland!!!!!!!!!

vince likes this.
  8. vince

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

egad I hope it's nothing serious. I have had enough death this year. Come on Weatherman, fight!

vince and Greenalishi like this.
  10. vince

New vid:

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. Holerbot6000

Very cool - thanks for sharing Vince. The new tracks I have heard are a little more noise oriented - I attribute that to the growing influence of Wobbly. Reminds me a little of Death Sentences, which has become a favorite. Anyway can't wait for the new album!!!!

vince and Greenalishi like this.
  12. vince

A few old 'Don' samples.... like a ghost over the whole thing....
    I do NOT have a copy, however...
    I will wait for the CD version....

13. Holerbot6000

I actually sprung for the vinyl. I figured since I am just going to rip the CD and never look at it again, I might as well just go for the special edition LP and the download. That way, I'm supporting the band, getting a nice collectable, and it gives me something to look at while I'm listening on my I-pod. Makes sense to my dented brain pan.

vince likes this.
  14. vince

15. Holerbot6000

Thanks Vince. Got the album last night but my stereo is in disarray so I need to put it back together before I can listen. This streaming link will help get me by in the meantime. I asked Mark if they would make a digital download available and he said maybe but not until they get back from their tour. He also confirmed, without going into detail, that the Weatherman had a bit of a health scare but is doing okay. I must say, his personally signed certificate is a lot of fun.

vince likes this.
  16. Holerbot6000

BTW - has there been any more news on the documentary?

17. vince

Apparently, there WILL be a bonus track, on the LP only!
    re: the doc.
    dunno...I'm just hoping they tour close to where I live, AND, they bring my precious PEOPLE LIKE US with them!

18. Holerbot6000

actually it looks like there is a whole bonus side, with some remixes. That's my impression from looking at the cover anyway. I also got a download link to a special OTE recording that some of the new record is based on. You can't say they don't give bang for the buck. I will report back once I am able to give it a listen.

vince likes this.
  19. vince

Interesting....
    I wonder if the show is a 'pre-Don' or 'post-Don' show!

20. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I am going with one of my best friends to celebrate both our birthdays. We have been looking forward to it for months.

I will report back.

21. vince

AWWWwwwWWWWW! WOW!
    Believe or not..... It'll be People Like Us's birthday, too!
    She was born a week before me (My birthday is Nov. 1)!
    As Tyre's from "Spaced" would say,
    "OOOOOOI, You LUCKY PEOPLE!!"

22. vince

So, what do I think of the new album?...
    Well, I kinda wished Mark had a song (or two) on this, and, I have pretty much heard most of these 'sampled voices' before, thanks to hearing old "OTE"'s, but there's quite a few good grooves on this. My only question is, do the bonus tracks, on the LP sound weirder/better?
    Perhaps, they're saving the more dense, Don-made stuff for the next album.....maybe.

23. Holerbot6000

It's definitely a different band now that it's primarily Mark and Wobbly. The music is much more Wobbly-ish, but it's great that they keep the spirits of Ian and Don alive with the samples and such. I know what you mean though. I miss the quirky pop songs also; especially the ones Mark did with Richard. I guess we'll always have the Nesbitt's Lime Soda Song...

This definitely feels like a summing up. Not sure whether they will continue on after this latest burst of activity, or maybe they will do so in another form. We still have another new album, a deluxe vinyl release of Big 10-8 (supposedly) and a documentary (hopefully) so there is still a lot to look forward to.

Greenalishi and vince like this.
  24. vince

You know what?...
    Bit of it reminded me a little bit of Elliot Sharp's "In The Land Of The Yahoos" album
    An album I bought around the same time as I first got into Negativland!

[​IMG]

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Does the bonus MP3 come with the LPs as a download card, or is it emailed?

My inquiries to [email protected] keep bouncing:
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    550 Headers contain illegal BOM