Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan Greatest, Vol. II" SACD set mastering complete.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

I am very familiar with all of them, but none I have wanted enough to pull the trigger. The ones I'd want are OOP (Doors, Skynyrd)

2. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

Folks, I understand wanting the mono versions but he already stated what mixes were used, so try and read the thread you're posting in before posting.

musicore77 likes this.
  3. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I'm not sure you can do anything about this, but one thing that's always irritated me about Greatest Hits Vol. 2 is the jarring edit from the applause after Tomorrow is a Long Time into the beginning of When I Paint My Masterpiece. While I'd love it if you could make that transition a little easier, I understand that's not the original intention so I imagine you'll have to go with that. But if it's possible to get the beginning of the When I Paint My Masterpiece track as tight as possible to eliminate any leftover clapping - which was a problem on some previous issues - that would be super cool. (Although the applause may overlap a touch - it's been a while since I've listened to it...hmmm...)

mikeyt and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

We went back to the ORIGINAL tapes. No overlap between songs. Thank me later.

5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Yeeeessssss!!! Thank you now too!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Were the album versions used on the original vinyl release or were singles mixes/edits used (assuming there were such things)?

Though not really a Dylan fan I am nevertheless looking foward to this.
    I admire what Steve and Stephen accomplished on Greatest Hits.

Though being a double SACD, what's this one going to set us back, $60 ?

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

There is only one original stereo mix of that song. If Bob is singing in the middle of the stereo spectrum on your version, that's the mix.

8. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

So, given that you were able to find usable original tapes for a number of songs from Bringing It All Back Home and Blonde On Blonde, does that mean this commonly-held business about these titles being remixed for previous CD releases due to the original masters being worn out is bunk? Or is this in reference to LP masters or some other permutation of what "master" means?

Also, have you any plans (or interest) to do Volume 3 at some point? I'd love to hear the results of you tackling some material from albums like Desire and Street-Legal, especially since you seem to be just about the only other person on earth who appreciates the original mix of the latter!

Finally, I assume the answer is no since you probably were only working with tapes of the individual song "The Mighty Quinn," but in all your forays into the vaults over the years have you ever come across tapes of the rest of the 1969 Isle Of Wight festival concert that it came from? A few other songs along with "Quinn" showed up on Self Portrait, but I've long hoped that the whole show might come to light someday.

Thanks for all your work on this, we Dylan fans appreciate it!

mikeyt, Spek and musicore77 like this.
  9. Jimbo1960

Jimbo1960 Forum Resident

SACD seals the deal for me. I just finished listening to the new Yes CTTE SACD and I'm ready for more AF SACDs!

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

When is this coming out?

11. Steve Hoffman

I
    DON'T
    KNOW.

Metralla and Dan Steely like this.
  12. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

This is one of those compilations that is essential, because there are a few really good songs that don't appear on any other disc. And the track order on this is really good. I'm really excited about this.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I apologize, I didn't mean it like that.

14. Steve Hoffman

I'm still working on the thing, sorry.

Please people, don't ask me about release dates for AF. I don't work there and have no idea about production quantities, schedules, etc.

Metralla likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

I can't comment on Sony business, sorry.

fallbreaks likes this.
  16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Great!

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I don't know what's the more exciting news contained in this thread: that this will be an SACD set or that Alvis, who has played a key role in the creation of some of the greatest music in history, has joined this forum. Welcome, Al!

mikeyt and stackswim like this.
  18. musicore77

musicore77 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

19. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Indeed! Welcome, Alvis! :tiphat:
    ------- Chris

20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

You mean that guy who lucked into the french horn AND the organ on two of the iconic songs of the 20th century. Cool :)

mikeyt likes this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Sounds like a great set - up there with the first Dylan Greatest Hits, Grand Funk, Bad co., and Alice Cooper.

Nest up, Rust Never Sleeps?

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There was one stereo variant of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight." On the '97 remaster of the Biograph box, they accidentally included an unfaded version of the song that was 2:46, instead of the 2:38 on the correct one.

musicore77 likes this.
  23. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I can tell we're going to have a spirited discussion comparing the BIABH versions of the 2003 Sony, 2012 Mofi (already happening), and AF.

24. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Can't wait for this to come out. I hope the harmonic just sings with clarity at the beginning of All Along The Watchtower. As I best recall on an old 8-track, that intro sounded so great.

Thanks!

25. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Interesting...so the SACD version of John Wesley Harding is a remix? The version from the original CD and the GH2 are the same (great sounding) mix, and the SACD is a shrill, thin mix. I read an interview with the Sony staff once that said they were trying to make a pure version from the master tapes with no compression, etc. which had never been done before (and it sounds like crap). I always assumed there had been a remix along the way that was used for GH2 and original JWH CD. So that's actually the original mix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.