Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" Gold CD SOUND QUALITY:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robobrewer, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

It really does sound amazing. The original cd release is what got me into Dylan so the album holds a special place.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What are you comparing it to?

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Amen, brutha! :cheers:

4. Been listening to #3998 tonight. Sounds very nice indeed. A very natural sound, and the vocals sound very realistic. And Bob's harmonica is quite palatable (unlike on some other CD releases).

Recommended!

5. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Great job Steve - now I can't wait for the AF GH Vol. 2! - which I like even better (Hell, I can dream right? which I'm sure will blow away my Dad's old 8-track that he blasted in his 280Z back in the 70's - ha!) Especially the new-er (at the time) Black Rock songs "Watchin The River Flow", etc. & those great Basement Tape songs from Side 4 he re-did with Happy Traum!

6. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

It is terrific! I keep listening to Blowin in the Wind, a song I never thought I wanted to hear again (ever). The level of detail is amazing. How nice to hear this all again with fresh ears.

7. dee

dee Senior Member

I think Just Like A Woman is like a beautiful dance, a mini ballet. I think it would make for a wonderful 'scene' in another media. You probably don't want to see my 'interpretive' dancing to it though lol, but the music is elegant and the lyric deep and vocal moving. Congrats on the mastering and kudos.

8. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

But how long did it take to ship?

9. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

I really like mine although I personally felt it a bit bright in spots but still a lovely CD thanks for doing this oh great one

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Finally received my copy (#3953) from Amazon...
    I must say I discovered Dylan with the 2003 SACDs, and they're all I've heard him on, except a couple French LPs reissues from the 70's that are nothing to write home about.

Soundwise, this AF Gold CD is a complete success!
    Dylan's voice and harmonica are so real it's *spooky*. The instruments around him never sounded so detailed and delineated. The low end is perfect.

Honestly, the original mixes sound so good I wonder why they even bothered to remix some albums for the SACDs. Sure, the stereo field may not be perfectly balanced all the time, and the compression sometimes kicks in hard but they are smooth and have lots of real ambiance like good mixes do.

Positively 4th Street, the Blonde On Blonde tracks were a revelation, as well as the H61R ones. Only the vocals on It Ain't Me Babe were a bit edgy, IMO. On the whole, everything is so balanced and easy to hear it brings us one step closer to the emotions and the meaning behind the songs.

I just wish the original SACDs sounded this good and/or that Steve could remaster an entire album!

Two thumbs up from me. :righton:

11. Donutsss

Donutsss Forum Resident

Wonderful, just wonderful. Thanks, Mr. Hoffman.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This was a real treat. Even RDW sounded like I've never heard before. Fantastic!

13. old school

old school Senior Member

If Mr. Hoffman gets no.2 who gets no.1? By the way Mr. Hoffman what a killer job your best work by far I know this album so well but yours gave me goosebumps!!!

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Very well done! "Positively 4th Street" comes across especially strong, IMO.

....and I could never tire of "Just Like a Woman..."

Matt

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That would be telling.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:laugh:

17. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I asked that the other day and my post got deleted. Felt a bit like a naughty schoolkid to be honest, but still can't for see what I'd said wrong :sigh:

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I haven't read the entire thread, but this CD sounds great! I was pleasantly surprised by the extended ending of Positively 4th Street. I have the unfaded track on a boot somewhere.

Was this ever released before? I don't have the GHV1 vinyl. Forgive me, if this was answered previously.

19. Luke,

I'm just going from memory on Rainy Day Women. Probably various CD sources or over the radio. Nothing really on a Hi-Fi system. However, the vocals always seemed more murky before. I always could tell Bob was chuckling a few times while singing, but now I can hear when he is really smiling.

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me my memories were all of remixes and this SH version uses an original mix. I really don't know Dylan well enough to know if this is the case here, but the difference sounds so dramatic to me that I wouldn't be surprised if the explanation was something like that.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

WHO GETS NUMBER 1?

Really, you have to ask?

Attached Files:

21. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Nice the artist gets number 1.

They are in fact why we're here to begin with...and Steve. :)

22. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Steve, not to thread crap, since "old school" asked you on who received #1, duh, Mr Dylan, who received #1 on CSN ST, can i guess, Mr. Nash?

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

We divided the disk into thirds for that one.

BGLeduc likes this.
  24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

That sounds good, at least that would limit the curse words and cushion each ego, lol!:righton::thumbsup:
    Maybe send one to send Mr. Young so he can hear what "DejaVU " could sound like in true form finally?

25. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

All this concern about Number One is like watching "The Prisoner"...

"YOU are Number Six!" :D

- Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.