AUDIO NOTE AnE speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by donkaz, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donkaz

donkaz Active Member Thread Starter

Hi I have AnE Spx signature speakers and wondering if I better use 4 ohms or 8 ohms connection from my low gain Shinri amplifiers. Does anyone want to share your thoughts? I was told to try both but not sure if I hear much differences. Thank you

dunkyboy likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I would try the 8, easier load. But, as I've written many times here, you need to carefully listen to something with not much dynamic range. Try both taps, whichever sounds more dynamic is the keeper. Don't play something that was recorded well, you'll never, ever be able to tell anything that way.

dunkyboy, jusbe, bkbk and 3 others like this.
  3. donkaz

Thank you so much for a quick reply. I will try....:thumbsup:

4. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

I have similar speakers. Mine are the Lexus Signatures with outboard crossovers. I have AN Conquest Silver Signatures which have 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps. I have tried both and there is a difference. Since the AN-E lives above 6 ohms most of the time you will get higher output using the 8 ohm taps due to better impedance matching. The 4 ohm taps will result in a higher damping factor which theoretically should give you better low frequency control (more bass tightness) at the expense of absolute output power. Look at it this way. The lower impedance tap runs the audio output through more transformer windings then the higher impedance taps do. The more windings the more theoretical degradation of the audio signal. There is no danger in trying both. Steve is right about using source material that is not ultra dynamic in your listening tests. It will be easier to discern a difference. I love my transformers sound (UHiB double C core with silver primaries) but less is always more. Unless your speakers are a difficult load, which the AN-E certainly is not, then always use the taps that run your signal through the fewest windings. If I had 16 ohm taps I would probably use them.

dunkyboy, Fred Hansen and spartree like this.
  5. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I have the AN-E/LX Hemp + Quest amps and went through the same debate. In the end the 8 ohm sounded best to me - more dynamic, more presence, more fun.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Tim 2 and Richard Austen like this.
  6. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

For the money the LX Hemp are the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. Such an amazing value for what they produce.

7. Steve Hoffman

My Jinro and Ongaku amps only have one set of posts so I have no idea what I'm running. On my VAC setup, it's always the 8 ohm tap.

8. harby

harby Forum Resident

It is rather the 4 ohms taps on a tube amp that would provide less burden on the amplifier, and possibly a more faithful frequency response.

Impedance graphs of Audio Note speakers from reviews show impedance drops below 6 ohms in spite of the manufacturer rating.

6 ohm speakers connected to an 8 ohm tap demand more electrical current at a particular voltage output level. That's why other amplifiers, like the Yamaha next to me, allow you to choose "8 ohm min" or "6 ohm min" - the latter limits the current to avoid self-destruction.

Transformers of tube amps are a bit more complex than a pure voltage source, though. Transformer voltage gain increases linearly as a function of the number of windings, but impedance at a square root. It is a current source that can be driven into magnetic saturation, etc. When the speakers are 6 ohms instead of 8, the tubes might see 6000 ohms instead of 8000 ohms. The 8 ohm tap uses the full secondary winding, the 4 ohm, only part of it.

What sounds good to you (within what doesn't blow up your amp) is of course the important factor.

dunkyboy and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

The impedance curve from Stereophile’s measurements is exactly why I initially thought the 4 ohm taps would be better for the E’s.

10. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

I am suprised Audio Note does not recommend which tap to use for any given AN amp with each particular AN speaker. Particularily since the AN philosophy is to have an entirely AN system.

dunkyboy, googlymoogly and Seafinch like this.
  11. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

This is interesting; I hadn’t seen it or thought of it before. Does this approach make sense with gear other than speakers?

12. Steve Hoffman

Well, I guess, but it's so easy to flip the speaker leads to 8/4, etc. By the time it took to power down an amp, hook up another one and warm it up, I think one would lose all frame of reference.. Could be wrong..

The deal is, if you use something that sounds wonderful, it usually sounds wonderful no matter what. Very hard to make that useful.

bever70, Tim 2, Encore and 2 others like this.
  13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Well AN makes other speakers besides the AN E - the AN J is 1dB less sensitive but it never drops below 5 ohms - so in certain respects it is easier to drive. The OTO has less trouble with the AN J than it does with the AN E. Not that it has trouble with the AN E - just less trouble - so if you play loud with bass - the OTO will be more at ease with the J than the E. So with the AN J and OTO - the 8 ohm tap is fine - but with the AN E you might consider the 4 ohm tap if you intend to play bass heavy music.

The SORO at double the power and is more at home with the AN E.

Not everyone will run Audio Note in an all AN system so the other taps are there to accommodate those users. If you own KEF LS-50 or Magnepan speakers you probably want to run the 4 ohm taps.

You won't hurt the amplifier either way - so they generally just advise you to use whatever tap sounds better to you.

SandAndGlass, Fred Hansen and jsr like this.
  14. Peter Qvortrup

Peter Qvortrup Forum Resident

Actually we do, we always recommend the 8 Ohm tap. Peter

15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Run free, that's the spirit!

16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

If the improvement/difference is significant your memory should distinguish something, depending on the individual.

17. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Thanks for the input Peter! Mark

18. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

Well there you go, thank you Peter, appreciate that. I should have known you would have that covered somewhere. The longer I own my Audio Note gear(over 5 years now) the greater my appreciation for your fine company grows and the more I realize the products and design philosophy enable me to enjoy music at home like never before(and I have been at this for over 30 years)

19. donkaz

Thank you everyone for your great inputs!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.