Audio-Technica 60th Anniversary Limited Edition product

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Nov 1, 2022.

1. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I don't know that it will be a huge step up from the LP7....I'll see how it does pushed to the limits with off the rack audio-technica gear, with the best matching MC for Arm and Phono. I did order some modest upgraded phono cables $70 a Zenzen isolation platform and a bunch of accessories, about 25 LP's , so I should be ready to do some good reviewing soon..

2. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

That was my initial thought as well. I'll be looking forward to your review.

3. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

Both tables will sound different. The carts for both are different first off. The tables are completely different design. I would guess the AT 7 will sound more mellow due to the Ortofon cart.

4. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yes, I don't think the 2022 will be a big upgrade to the 7.

Clonesteak likes this.
  5. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

6. ChefBrunch

Yeah,Hope they are getting ready to ship soon, seems to be up for pre-order on many sites. I do think I might buy an LP140 also just because I can, So I can keep the music rolling especially on the double LP discs.no down time for music to flip, just switch., I might get the Idea of changing out my Pre-amp with a Audio-technica Am 150 stereo mixer, a basic dj mixer, can handle my 2 TT's , A CD player and my BT receiver and a headphone jack and I can add a MIC and have my own karaoke parties lol. It could just be a lot of fun. Its pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

wgb113 and Lenny99 like this.
  7. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Big in a small understanding, none of these decks are very good to be honest they are mid-quality in the lower end, overpriced Chinese.
    Bet a modest Rega Planar 1 will walk over them, a Technics SL will show them a solid build slam.

Should I finally jump a Audio Technica deck it. would be the Audio Philes in UK, their LP5 modification sounds promising but have tough competition.

8. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I had both the Rega Planar 1 and the AT-LP7. The LP7 was light years ahead of the Planar 1. The Planar 1 was a very flimsy lightweight piece of junk and sounded as thin as it looks. Once I got the LP7, the Planar 1 was tossed into the trash. All of this is documented in various threads here.

I would still be using the LP7 had it not died after about 3 years of use.

bever70 and iluzun like this.
  9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

They could've had something if they used the motor used in the at lp 1240 (plx 1000 etc.). Transparent design - not my taste.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

3 years? Then that was a piece of trash as well. Any decent TT should last a lifetime. You can always get money for a Rega so why toss it? At least recycle it though a charity or recycling shop. If you left it on the pavement some skip scrounger would have benefited. The arm is actually half decent. Thing to consider with these TTs is will they be serviceable in the future? Will AT support the 2022 going forward?

TheMovieRad likes this.
  11. Pmds55889397

Thats very essential.
    Buying hifi thats non-supported is a nogo IMO.

Most of cheap Chinese electronics is "use and throw away" if your lucky it last just over warranty period.
    Would they sell you a new motor or tonearm once broken down ?...Nah.
    Friends bought Rega P9 and Technics 1200 deck back 2-3 decades ago are happy playing on and on, no expenses for service and shipment, no hasle but a good resell value.

12. rockin_since_58

I now have Technics SL-1500C which I am very happy with and hopefully it will outlast me :cool:

Clonesteak likes this.
  13. Pmds55889397

Give a reply when you reach 105 please

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  14. rockin_since_58

So you think it will last 41 years? Doubt I will last that long...

15. Lenny99

I understand the concept of reliability. And I would assume a Technics table would outlast an AT table. However in my financial price range when looking for a new TT as opposed to a used table the AT was the way to go.

So far, my three AT tables have all functioned well, without a hint of a problem. That's a little more than 3 years of use for the 40 and about 2 years for the 7. That's not a long time for a TT, but that's all I have to go on.

In the future, if i need a new table because an AT failed me, and if I believe I'm am financial able, I'll probably consider a Technics.

16. Lenny99

I agree. I have read reviews per the 1240. It was sold as a DJ table which would please audiophiles. It's billed to have a robust motor which includes a clutch for DJ use.

And as was pointed out, I don't care for the transparent look.

17. ChefBrunch

Got my audio-technica PEQ30 phono amp today and some AT cleaning stuff, my zenzen anti-vib platform came in, and a few other gizmos, ahh yes can't wait to fire it up..
    A hand full of my LP's have arrived also, They got me most excited, I forgot how intriguing the LP art is in full size, it losses all effect on a CD case.....I remember in my youth playing LP's and reading and looking at the art work....Ohh I absolutely love the size and art of LP's....I've missed it.

18. Arjan Korenhof

Arjan Korenhof New Member

Ah noooo.. I've just sold my LP12 and had my heart set on the soundburger

19. Lenny99

What went wrong with the 7?

20. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Hanpin tonearms are widely available as spares.
    Idk about motors or controller boards though…

21. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Well - while Chinese, it is not cheap. Not everything Chinese is cheap. To believe so is ugly prejudice.
    And support is normally provided by the company selling you the item, not the fabricator. Who supports your iPhone, Apple or Foxconn? Apple, right? It would be smart to ask AT how support beyond warranty will be handled.

There is no absolute proof it built by Hanpin. Just speculation from non-experts on the internet. If people actually bother to check, every product in their website has a Q&A section. They are surprisingly good at replying to them. It is actually smarter to go in there and ask about plans for future support and where is the turntable built and by whom rather than to speculate in this manner. Will actually go ahead and ask as soon as I can.

v

HiFi Guy and tagomago like this.
  22. ChefBrunch

All the parts are pretty easily found and I'm sure AT will even sell replacement parts. The customer service is actually really good.

AT is a professional level retailer first a consumer retailer second.

23. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

My reply was about the “cheap Chinese crap”.
    If it’s custom Chinese crap, it’ll be hard to get spares indeed - in those cases you’re right.
    But if it’s generic Chinese crap, like Hanpin, Ya Horng or Skywin parts, it’s the opposite since many rebrands use the very same parts.
    Those are very easy to come by.
    Same goes for cheap Chinese CD mechanisms, most of those are just one of few available models and are used across Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Audiolab and many more brands.

nosliw likes this.
  24. ChefBrunch

The parts will be off the shelf from a variety of mix and match. There not gonna outright machine up parts for a $1200 TT with a limited run...they'll just have to do some extra assembly to put them together off the main production lines.

25. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

Correct. I would have no reservations in buying any AT product. Any discussion on the build quality of this deck is moot until you get your hands on an actual sample. I'm looking fwd to the reviews. I'm sure they will be very positive.

tagomago likes this.