Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Have you ever had any static pops with your XSL? Especially in winter when the RH is at it's lowest. I'm trying to figure out if AT carts are particularly susceptible.

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

No, never a pop or otherwise.
    Once in a blue moon the mat will lift up with a record but that's it.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

never a pop for either of my ART9 cartridges. quiet and refined all day long.
    has anyone tried that demag process in the video?
    it worked for me on an ortofon cartridge and restored some clarity. others have reported success too.

4. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident

Demag and changing headshell did nothing for me. I'm using other cartridges for the time being

5. avanti1960

ART9XI mentioned a few times in this review. He kind of glossed over it and was all over the map- seemed to prefer the Grado. Not me !

6. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Have an opportunity to grab an art9 with under 100 hours on it, supposedly great condition/straight as an arrow. It’s definitely not a need, but for $600 it’s hard to turn away from the idea. Question though, my phono stage is a fixed gain of 47db. I have cinemag 1254’s so 1:10 is my lowest turns ratio. Tonearm is clearaudio satisfy, effective mass of 8 grams. All signs point to a decent match? A bit worried about the 0.5mV output.

Say I do get it, I haven’t purchased an AT cartridge used, would I have any issue if I were to use it towards a future trade in through AT’s program? Thanks!

avanti1960 likes this.
  7. avanti1960

the 12 ohm ART9 would like a 1:15 ratio ideally. can you switch to 1:15?

8. FuzzyNightmares

1254's have the 1:10 and 1:20, but I do still have a signet mk10t with a 1:15 winding ratio that hasn't sold yet... If it was the Art9xa I'd have already jumped on it at that price.

avanti1960 likes this.
  9. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

For less than half the price of a new ART9 I don't think you can do much wrong there, especially if it's as low hours and clean as described. The ART9XI in this house continues to impress me. It's tremendously enjoyable!
    [​IMG]

10. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Way less than half price now that they've boosted the retail to $1500, but I assumed he was referring to the old model, which usually sold for closer to $900. But a good deal if really only 100 hours, sometimes hard to be sure, though :)

I'd think a 1:10 ratio SUT would be just about ideal with your preamp, but I guess it depends on what you think is optimal loading for the ART9. I usually run my OC9XML with a 1:8 step up, but I have pins for additional secondary loading, and run with reflected load around 250. Still, I don't find the loading makes that much difference with a SUT, but I know some others do, so nice to have options.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  11. Davey

Oh yea, regarding AT trade in, it doesn't matter where you bought the cartridge, you only need to supply proof of purchase for warranty claims. The trade in is like a repair, you pay for it, so no purchase receipt required. Details and return form are at the site.

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  12. FuzzyNightmares

Only thing is it moves me further away from going with hm7’s in my system, though I guess with the trade in program by the time I’m ready to swap I could get the lower output Art offering at that time whatever it may be. Would be nice to have a second cart in the house anyhow seeing as the little guy will be a walking toddler soon lol.

13. Davey

Getting a bit off topic now, but you can apparently also still get the Ortofon MC 20 Super SE for a little over $500, I was looking at it recently at Thakker, 0.25mV output, Gyger FG-70 stylus, or the Super 30 at around $800, they say both in stock, but they've been discontinued for a while now. They are showing the original Super 30 with FG Type 1 stylus, as opposed to the later MkII with Replicant, so hard to believe they still have stock, but both fairly low output, may be interesting to place an order and find out :)

14. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Wow dude you have like the Uber version of my setup. Sl1200mk2, and a A-S2100. Same cart.

I’m really tempted to pony up for the GAE.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  15. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

I recently acquired an MC 20 Super SE that was originally purchased last year and never used. Really nice, great sounding cartridge - measures very flat as well:

[​IMG]

The only thing is that the suspension seems to generate a weird static-like noise upon removal from the record. It is also audible when set down on a stationary record. They offered to inspect it for me, so I may send it in shortly.

patient_ot and Davey like this.
  16. avanti1960

The 1:10 SUT results in a net 470 ohm load on the ART9 which is too high. The sound will likely have too much top end and sound thin. A 1:15 SUT will yield 225 ohms at the 47Kohm setting which is perfect.

Soundslave, aunitedlemon and Davey like this.
  17. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Good morning folks, I just joined the forum and this is my first post.
    I was in the market for a new cartridge to replace my 15 yer old HO Sumiko Blackbird. Reading this thread inspired me to pick up an AT-AT9XA. So far, I have approx. 2-1/2 hours on the ART9XA.
    VTF set to 1.85 g,
    VTA, slightly tipped up at the back, perhaps 0.5 mm
    A-S appr0x. 1.2 g
    I’m using a Moon 310LP phono pre-amp, gain set to 66 dB, loading is 100 Ohms
    The pre-amp is very quiet; so far, I do not find gain and phone pre-amp noise to be problems.
    First impressions are a very refined energetic presentation, with good transient response.
    So far, the bass sounds rather subdued, but I was told this will open up over time as the suspension loosens up?
    What A-S setting are folks using with these ART9 cartridges?

avanti1960 likes this.
  18. Davey

Well, as I said, you can change the secondary loading if you want to experiment, and anyone using expensive carts should, but I haven't found the sound to change much with loading when using SUTs with other carts. Always good to have options, though :)

avanti1960 likes this.
  19. avanti1960

Congrats ! 2.5 hours = just an infant. Bass will become excellent as it wears in~ 30 hrs min.
    Do try for a level top of headshell VTA though in the mean time, assuming the platter is also level.
    As for A/S, I just use what the turntable manual recommends which is equal in value to VTF.
    Keep us posted on its progress !

20. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I'm truly grateful a GAE landed here. 40 lbs. of audio excellence that will likely out live me. I don't think you'll be sorry if you get your ears on one.

Avanti1960's recommendation to follow the turntable manual and set A/S equal to VTF works for me too.
    You're definitely going to get better bass as that cartridge settles in. If after 20+ hrs or so you feel it's still lacking you might considering leveling out the VTA. Of all the Shibata tipped Audio Technica cartridges I've owned, they've always had excellent bass quality and character.

spacehopper999 and chris8519 like this.
  21. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Thanks! I plan on spinning some vinyl for a few hours later today!
    Obviously this is not my Sumiko Blackbird, but Sumiko’s recommendation was 2/3 of the tracking force, hence my 1.2 g of A-S. Something to play with this weekend, along with leveling out the VTA.

22. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Thanks!
    The honest truth is, I forgot to adjust VTA when I switched cartridges. Doh!
    I had an AT-OC9 in the early 90’s. It was the original version, i.e. before Mk II, etc. Etc. As I recall, it had a great midrange and a big, huge soundstage. After using various Sumikos for 20 years I’m back with AT again.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  23. sanpaolo

sanpaolo Forum Resident

A 1:15 turn ratio means the output from the step-up will be 7.5 mV. Could be too high for the preamp.

I recommend reading this: mc step-up transformers explained

24. avanti1960

A 1:15 SUT generates ~ 23db gain. Perfectly fine for the ART9 .5mv.
    Bob's Devices recommends a 1:15 for an ART9 spec. .5mv and 12 ohm resistance.
    https://www.bobsdevices.com/information

25. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Some observations on my ART9XA after approx. 5 hours:
    Big soundstage, nice sense of space and width
    great transient response, especially on acoustic guitars, electric guitars and snare drums
    vocals sound very lifelike
    This cartridge digs a lot of detail of a mix
    Vinyl surface noise is quite low, I don’t recall ever owning a cartridge that presented surface noise this low.
    Overall, the ART9XA has very energetic and natural presentation.

avanti1960 and timzigs like this.