Audio-Technica AT-LP120 Cue Damping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Karn Evil 9, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karn Evil 9

Karn Evil 9 Black Labs Matter Thread Starter

I went back through several years of posts on the AT-LP120 and, surprisingly, I couldn't find any pertaining to the problems with this turntable's cue damping. There's a good bit of information online regarding this issue along with videos that show how to replace/replenish the fluid to restore the cueing to its proper function. For the longest time I thought that it was something that I was doing wrong. The d**n needle drops are maddening, to say the least. It seems that, often times, no matter how carefully I try to set the stylus down, it drops at the last second.

I visited a record store once that had an AT-LP120 set up to allow customers to test spin LP's. Of all of the record stores that I've visited over the past several years, it was the only one that offered this. Well, I found a really nice Reprise "newspaper" issue of "Thick as a Brick" in this store. So I thought that I'd give it a listen before buying it. I went to set the stylus down (c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y) and WHAM. Down it went. P*ssed me off.
    I guess there isn't anything to do - aside from b*tching about it on this forum - but to buy the fluid and make the repair. But, boy, talk about a major disappointment. My wife bought this turntable for me in late-2018. I'll probably save my pennies and go shopping for another brand.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Almost any turntable can have the damping fluid leak or dry out resulting in the problem you describe. I'm not endorsing rebranded Hanpin decks here, just sayin'.

If you don't like the problem, fix it yourself or take it to someone. There isn't any magic trick here.

3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Same thing happened to me after a couple of years. Here's the stuff to get>
    Silicone Damping Fluid For Tonearm Cueing Mechanisms, Damping Troughs and Monopivots

Only need to add a little into the well inside the lift after you take it off. It's easy. Just unscrew it and angle it out with the arm raised. Remove the spring before adding and don't lose it! Then reassemble. Works like a charm.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Karn Evil 9 likes this.
  4. Karn Evil 9

I owned two different Pioneer turntables back in the 80's & 90's. I owned each for 5+ years and never had this problem with either of them. So I'm calling crap on A-T. Especially after a year or less of use, which was when the issue started for me. No worries. I'll fix it. It doesn't seem like a big hassle. Just one that I shouldn't have to be dealing with. At least not this soon.

5. Karn Evil 9

Thanks a lot, Boltman. I appreciate the tip.

A buddy of mine has an AT-LP120 and he has experienced the same problem. Honda CVT automatic transmissions of the early-2000's are much the same: They're all crap and the manufacturer couldn't give a s***. I'll never buy a Honda product again - or an Audio-Technica.

6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

This is the only issue I've ever had with mine. I think it's been a very good turntable otherwise. The tonearm bearings are perfect still after 5+ years of use. I have modified mine and added a number of accessories. BTW the new Pioneer TT's are also made by Hanpin.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

AT doesn't make those turntables. They are made by Hanpin and AT slaps their name on them and sells them to make money. They are a knock off of a much more expensive and better built turntable. They are sold under many different brands so don't think you are getting away from Hanpin necessarily if you buy something else in a similar price bracket with similar features. They're all Hanpin or Ya Horng OEM decks.

Taking apart the cue mech should reveal the source of the problem. The fluid is probably completely gone because it leaked out. I have seen this issue on MANY 30-40 year old turntables that are built far better than a Hanpin or Ya Horng deck. So don't go thinking it is limited to a particular brand. That's simply incorrect and uninformed.

3 years is a short time for this issue to occur. It's possible the conditions under which you use the turntable caused it. Also possible you have bad luck and got a dud.

nosliw likes this.
  8. Karn Evil 9

THREE years? I wish. Try one year. You mentioned, "...the conditions under which (I) use the turntable." AYFKM? I play records. I use it, on average, less than an hour per day. I use it indoors in a climate-controlled environment. I treat it with proverbial "kid gloves". I'm leaning "dud". Especially since I have a friend who's experienced the same problem in roughly the same time frame. And I already mentioned the record store in Nashville. Now I'll admit that the unit in the Nashville store is, likely, not treated as well as mine is.

Furthermore, do I really care that AT doesn't actually manufacture the AT-LP120? The answer is, "NO!" But they sell it with THEIR name on it. So guess whose problem it is.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You're missing the point. You bought a cheap knock-off, and that's what you got. There aren't any really great turntables in the price range of the LP120. It's all from the same handful of manufacturers and OEMs. Buy another one and you may avoid this particular problem but encounter another. The last time I looked at Hanpin OEM stuff was a couple of years ago in a shop. The tonearm bearings on both were jacked beyond belief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.