Audio-Technica AT-OC9XML Owners Club and Pictorial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023) Thread Starter

I don't know any reason it wouldn't work on your arm, did you have some aspect you were concerned about? Your arm is fairly light, low end of medium range, and the cartridge has compliance on the upper end of medium range, so should be good match for low frequency resonance. How did you pick your current cartridge?

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  2. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

I didn't really put a lot of thought into it. I knew the Zephyr matched well with VPI tonearms. And it had a good reputation. That's about the extent of the thought that went into it. For my next cart (like I said I am planning ahead) I would like to put more effort in. I don't have any complaints with the current cart. I would like to get something with a ML stylus, something which tracks well and minimizes IGD. AT has a good rep around here. I would be interested in this cart or the VM540ML. The 540 appeals to me because I have clumsy hands. I could replace the stylus if needed. These carts both cost less than my current cart, but I want something cost effective. I will be setting this up myself and like I said, clumsy hands.

3. Davey

The OC9XML can usually be had for around $500, and tradein price is currently about $280, so a little bit more cost than the VM540 with a stylus cost around $209, but a lot more performance. I have the VM740ML, but don't use it very much, mainly just got it for curiosity. It is a good cartridge, but people aren't kidding when they say you need to keep the capacitance as low as possible to minimize the tendency toward brightness. But get the one you are most comfortable with, you are the one using it, I've been using LOMC carts so long that I'm pretty biased :)

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  4. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

I am going to start a thread on this maybe soon.

5. Davey

I probably should've noted that, while the response shown is fairly typical of LOMC carts, there are carts that have a very flat response through the upper octave without evidence of peaking. The Benz Micro carts are like that, almost ruler flat response on the Glider and Wood models that I've used. I guess it's just how the suspension is tuned, and the magnetic circuit, it's part of their reputation. Some people think they sound rolled off, but it's because they don't have that top octave peak that most of the others have. I guess there are tradeoffs when tuning the designs, and some juggle those tradeoffs better than others, or just have different goals.

mackat, patient_ot and punkmusick like this.
  6. JP

JP Forum Resident

Problem is the FR of the pink noise tracks.
    [​IMG]

Kyhl, patient_ot and Davey like this.
  7. narud

narud Forum Resident

thanks for all this guys. im managing to get this with the at33sa using the frequency sweep from the cbs str-130 on a technics with the 6mm mat and vta ring at 3 which i guess results in pretty close to parallel.
    [​IMG]
    upload image
    with the vta any lower or higher than that, theres a more considerable suck out centered around 12k.
    the oc9 was intriguing but i feel like i already had that rise with the at150mlx

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Davey likes this.
  8. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

It looks like Audio-Technica has made some price increases over the last few days on the cartridges that hadn’t been increased the last time around. OC9XML and AT33PTG/II now $599, OC9XSH now $699, OC9XSL now $749. The lower end carts look to have been increased by $20 instead of $50. Overall, not too bad and certainly expected these days, but I figured I’d post about it to let everyone know.

patient_ot and punkmusick like this.
  9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Music Direct sells the OC9XML for $549.

macster likes this.
  10. Davey

Yea, but the OC9XML is €415.97 at Thakker right now ... Audio Technica cartridges, the best "bang for your buck"?

mackat likes this.
  11. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

True, though I doubt that will last long. It looks like all of the other US retailers have updated their prices since the increase, so it is likely that Music Direct will soon do the same.

Yes, Thakker is by far the best place to purchase right now. I wonder if there will be prices increases in Europe as well, at some point. It's unfortunate that Thakker requires you to use the faster shipping service on orders above €399, which ends up being an additional ~$40 instead of <$10.

Davey likes this.
  12. Davey

I think I'll try gluing up one of my OC9XML cartridges so the generator body is more firmly attached to the outer aluminum housing, right now there is just the one screw holding it together, no glue or anything ... I'll probably just apply a thin layer of epoxy on the aluminum mount part, then stick it together and wipe off any excess, not sure if I'll use the screw ... just a fun experiment, I have a couple of them to compare ... :)

[​IMG]

13. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

That’s a fun experiment, and seeing the cart pulled apart has me pondering a wood housing :shh:

Davey likes this.
  14. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

Or if you want to get really crazy you can do it up like the London Super Decca Gold

[​IMG]

15. Davey

Yea, without the outer body, it's almost like a p-mount cartridge. There's always someone that wants to take it a step further ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DJSpinner likes this.
  16. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

This seems like the place

OC9Xml
    SL1200GR

oem head shell or 10 g AT HS10BK?

neither looks good for resonance? ~7 Hz using various online calculators
    eff mass 12 gm (oem), 14 with AT
    Cartridge plus bolts/wires 8 gm
    Compliance 16 x 1.5-2 ~ 25 to 30, used 27

using the Korf calculator it looks acceptable
    The heavier HS looks a bit better
    First oem
    Second +2.4 gm HS difference
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A 7Hz resonance is fine in practice in many cases. Ortofon even updated their compliance guidelines recently to say 7Hz is okay. Some folks use even lower resonances with out issue, e.g. 6Hz.

BTW those compliance multipliers don't give accurate results, but this cartridge series is known to be fairly compliant, approximately ~23CU.

Ingenieur likes this.
  18. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. BarrelProof

BarrelProof Well-Known Member

1200GR here. FWIW, I have been using an OC9/iii, which has a higher compliance than the XML. I found it to have a more coherent sound with the stock headshell vs ATLH11H, which is about 4 grams heavier. The OC9/iii with stock headshell is a magical combo on my system. Sounds fantastic.

I have an XML coming today from Amazon (on sale for $514 and same day shipping!) and will be doing lots of experimentation with headshells this week. Will report back with my own findings.

Telcoman, dcarwin and Ingenieur like this.
  20. Ingenieur

Thanks
    $514?
    My Prime shows $599

does the discount show at checkout?

the AT33PTG/II is on sale -11% $530
    It is in the running too

21. Davey

Actually, I think you will find in real life that the XML is higher compliance, I have both and the XML has slightly lower tonearm resonance, even though the OC9/III with hardware weighs over 1 gram more than the XML, mainly due to the long screws and nuts required for the unthreaded OC9/III body.

Most of you US-based audiophiles are probably aware by now, but the USD has been very strong against the euro in recent times, USD is approx equal to Euro now, and Thakker in Germany has very good prices on the AT line, even with expensive DHL shipping to the US ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    Ulises, BarrelProof and Ingenieur like this.
  22. Ingenieur

Have you ordered from them?
    Does VAT apply?
    Are there customs fees?

23. BarrelProof

I just checked Amazon and it is no longer on sale, sorry. They must have only allotted a certain quantity for the discount. Davey's option looks like a better bet price wise anyways. I couldn't resist the Prime same day delivery though. I also like the easy option to return if something is not right.

24. Davey

I've ordered from them in the past, but nothing this expensive. Others around here have ordered cartridges from them recently, including the OC9XML.

We don't pay VAT on purchases in the US, we have sales tax, but Thakker doesn't collect it, as you can see in the basket I posted, that is the final cost before clicking the "Order Now" button. If you want to pay sales tax on it in your state, I think you'll have to remit it yourself :)

Help me choose another turntable... Technics, Linn, Thorens

25. BarrelProof

XML is up and running! Man, threaded bodies should be the law of the land. First impressions: detailed, open, and clear. It sounds a tad brighter than my OC9/iii, but that may simply be because the /iii is worn. We'll see how things change over the next week. This is really meant to be a replacement for my beloved /iii, not necessarily and upgrade. So far, so good.