Audio Technica AT-PL-120

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

On the 120 on the back of the unit to the left of where the headshell receptacle is there is a small rectangular design cut into the silver plastic. What exactly is it?

2. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I think it's supposed to be a graphic of a cartridge/headshell.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I have no idea why that square is there. It must be something to do with the assembly process.

OK, so my Technics SL-1200MK2 arrived yesterday. Without even bothering to do direct A/B comparisons with the AT, I can safely say the 1200 absolutely smokes the AT. Of course, the 1200 is more than twice the price of the AT, so this should be no surprise.

Some quick observations:
    * The 1200's chassis is extremely well damped. While the AT is very sensitive to external vibrations, you can actually tap the top of the 1200 and not hear it.
    * The platter on the AT has a pronounced rinnngggg when you flick your finger on it. The 1200 is damped with rubber on both sides. (I would think that one could easily devise their own method of dampening the AT's platter, maybe with some sort of putty?)
    * The 1200 just sounds richer. With my AT440MLa cartridge, I was able to dial in the perfect tonal balance. The AT-PL120 tends to lean towards the treble end, with weaker mids and bass.
    * The rubber mat supplied with the 1200 is nice and rigid, and is about 1/4" thick; pretty substantial. As a result, bass is very punchy, and it serves to further dampen the platter from vibrations. The AT's supplied felt mat works against getting the same tight bass. (I was able to fix this by using a homemade cork mat on my AT-PL120.)

On the flipside, the AT-PL120 has some features not found on the SL-1200MK2 (some of which may be on some of the more expensive Technics tables).

* The AT has three speeds, so you can play 78s on it. I plan on having KAB modify my 1200 at some point to include 78 speed, at a cost of $175 + shipping (ouch!).
    * The AT will play in reverse, so you can listen for satanic messages in "Stairway to Heaven."
    * The AT has a recepticle for extra headshells. Only some of the more expensive Technics have this feature.
    * The AT has a defeatable phono preamp built in. (Unfortunately, the preamp isn't very good.)

I don't intend this post to be a slam on the AT-PL120; on the contrary, for $150-$200 it is an excellent starter table packed with features. Mine has served me well for the past three years. But looks can be deceiving. Don't expect that it will perform like an SL-1200 just because it looks like an SL-1200. The "Wheel of Steel" is still king.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Did you buy it from KAB?

5. action pact

No, I was able to get from Musician's Friend for $375 shipped. KAB's price is $549 + shipping.

6. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

He's still listing the MK2 on his site as $475. Did you hear he was going to raise prices?

I'm glad you're enjoying the 1200. No quality-control issues?

7. action pact

I stand corrected: $475 is KAB's price.

No major quality control issue's on my 1200. Thanks to your much-appreciated advice, I made sure to check all the screws, and only found one loose one on the bottom.:righton:

8. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I have the PL-120 and so far I like it as well, and sounds great. I thought about getting the Technics 1200 but those tables are more expensive. Too bad I dont have one to test the sound quality against the PL-120, but I definitely want to get the best performance out of the table to when I do my new needledrops soon.

The 78RPM feature will be very handy since my mom still have some 78's that are in good condition. Of course I will need to get a 78 based needle first before I play those.

I will have to try the cork idea with my 120; as right now I have a rubber mat on mine (and the felt mat that came with the table absolutely sucks....i'm guessing for DJ use).

9. arachnophilia

arachnophilia Forum Resident

ok, so i'll admit to having done that once. actually twice, because someone else was curious about it. i think it's a just coincidence. but yeah... backwards... not something you'll use a lot. even if you ARE a dj.

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I'm glad you like the 1200...it's really a superior table, no matter what its' detractors say. :cool:

11. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I bought a Stanton STR8-60 TT several years ago cause it was on sale for 100 bucks from Guitar Center. It looks like an Audio Technica. I didn't realize at the time that it was a DJ deck though, being it has a straight tone arm.

I have an old Shure Hi-Track cart I installed in it and I set the overhang using a protractor I printed from a web sight.

It was difficult to find a nominal setting due to the arm being straight but it plays nice for occasional times I use it. It easily howls with loud volume though.

I purchased a Gem Sound TT case that I keep it in so I have a deck I can use where ever I might need one.

Do the Audio Technica TT's howl easy too? Are they isolated well? I also like a semi-auto deck rather than a full manual one.

12. action pact

The STR8-60, like the AT-PL120, is a knock-off of the Technics SL-1200MK2, which has been the standard for club DJs since its introduction in 1979.

DJs like straight tone arms because they have less tendency to skip (or so I am told).

I've never had a problem with "howl" with my Audio Technica, but I would not say that it is well isolated. It is very sensitive to vibrations.

13. action pact

I was quite happy with my AT for the past 3 years. It's a fine table, especially for the bread. But the original is well worth the extra expense. As with any table, buy the very best cartridge you can afford.

I would advise against buying a used SL-1200. Despite their reputation for ruggedness, DJs beat the hell out of their 1200s, and worn bearings, bent platters, etc. are not uncommon. If you see them listed on Craig's List for under $300, there's a reason they're so cheap!

I use a Pickering NP/AC for 78s, and the AT tracks the big ten inch records very well.

Trust me, the cork makes a big improvement, and only costs a few bucks. There will initially be some cork debri left on the bottom of your records, but after a few days this problem will solve itself.

14. arachnophilia

arachnophilia Forum Resident

...that will rape your records.

15. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Yes, I figured that. I have the cart set best I can and it rarely gets any use. It has a very nice sound though, except for the bad damping which allows for feedback issues.

16. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I weighed them. AT platter, 1 lb 10 oz. Technics platter, 3 lb 13 oz.

And yes, that little thingy back by the hole on the AT is a picture of a headshell. Juuuuuuust in case we thought it was the pencil holder...

17. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

I have one, and I love it. Yes, it cost $200. Yes, it is not technically a "reference" table. Yes, many say it is "no Technics". But it is a great performer, and I don't think you can find better for the price. You are spot-on about the ATP-2, it was a DJ oriented cart with 3-5 grams recommended tracking weight. I didn't remove mine right away - instead I had a blast playing some non-essential vinyl and I even (shock!) did some reverse playing and some stuff like non-approved start/stops in the middle of tracks, etc. So shoot me ;)

Later, not wanting to subject valuable records to this, I bought an AT95E, a Shure M97XE and an Ortofon Omega.
    The Omega became the "el cheapo", the AT the everyday cart, and the Shure has been relieved of its stylus waiting for a Jico "microline"replacement when I decide to spend the money. It will then become my "archiving" cart. Other than that I made some minor structural mods to the table involving soldering, epoxy, feet adjustments...don't ask... I removed the internal phono amp board as I am not using it, made a ground connection, mounted leveling gauges on all my headshells etc etc, but most of that is out of personal hobby-ism and not really crucial to playback. BTW, you said it was an AT-PL120 and so is mine, later they renamed it the AT-LP120, adding USB and $100 to the price. I have seen those around and while they are based on the same chassis, I much prefer the simpler non-USB, now discontinued version.

Best of luck, enjoy your table.

18. action pact

Thanks! But I sold it five years ago! :)

19. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Sad to read through this thread, see that the SL-1200 was available NEW, 5 years ago, for under $400...:cry:

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  20. action pact

I paid $375 shipped for mine in 2008. Wally Swift owns it now (it was later modded extensively).

21. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Music transcends time and space :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.