Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

9000 also offers playback from USB… it doesn’t seem to support FLAC at least from reading the manual. That’s a head scratcher.
    • USB Storage Device Audio Format: MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV file compatible

2. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

B&H had a sale on the black one for $399 a few months back. I couldn't resist for that price, unforutnately.

I love mine, and I've never found any scratches on my disc.

Art K likes this.
  3. Holler Wanderer

Will that ever actually come out? lol

The Beave likes this.
  4. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

7+ months of daily use and no scratches at all on any CD.

However, for the first time I started to use the Coaxial output into my Chord Hugo 2 instead of optical. I get random dropouts in sound, which last for a second, and it might only be once or twice per CD, so very frustrating trying to locate a pattern.

A Google search has revealed a few others mentioning this from time to time. Has anybody here experienced dropouts using coax? (Have tried muliple cables and ruled out the usual suspects). I still gave 3 months warranty left so I guess it might need returning.

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  5. Holler Wanderer

Could it also be the DAC or have you not had problems with the coax before?

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agree, try a different DAC. I had a similar problem with a previous DAC and it went away when I bought SMSL SU-9.

No scratching here either.

7. cliffy

cliffy Forum Resident

Have had mine since June 22, only problem is every now and again when I remove a cd, the player goes through the motions as if I have put another disc in to play ...ie trying to read a disc , when this happens I just switch cdt off and on again.

8. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

I got a 6000CDT for Christmas. If I hadn't read this thread I would not have known, therefore to look for the scratches, parallel hash marks, on the play side of the CD.
    One CD looks exactly like the CD in your photo. I ran across this thread after the fact...

Here is a thread, (go to post #40), that shows even more photos of the damage that is done by the slot loader transport mechanism.
    Best CD player/transport in the £500/$650 range - 2022 edition

IMO, the damage is not due to the feed lead-in brushes on the front of the CD inlet slot. Nor is it user error loading the CD. At least from me loading the CD it isn't... It's being caused by something inside by the transport mechanism.

FWIW, The 6000CDT was replaced with a Cambridge CXC V2 CDT. Luckily it was bought in Dec 2022. The CXC is now back up to $699.00.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    stenway, goldwax and Dafox like this.
  9. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

The coax can cause errors if it is not the right characteristic impedance. 'Characteristic impedance' is the character of the cable such that when terminated at the impedance specified there will be no reflections (which means 'less noise'). If the cable is made of something inappropriate (it should be engineered for the task) dropouts and the like can be common.

Try a different cable! Cable is the S/pdif connection in a computer so a computer cable is where I would start.

Dignan2000 and jea48 like this.
  10. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Agree, try a different digital coax cable.

Audiogon Discussion Forum

Curiosity likes this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

All I use is coax and I've had no issues.

12. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

As I said in my earlier post, have tried other cables. The fault is definitely with the coax out of the Audiolab alas. Toslink is fine. Using an Oppo 203 via coax, and my elderly Meridian 200 CD transport both work without dropouts into the Hugo 2 DAC too.

Found a few mentioning the issue in the feedback area after the review, linked below :

6000CDT CD Transport From Audiolab

Here too :

Question - Audiolab 6000CDT

So it’s either ‘normal’, and just doesn’t play well with some DACs only, or perhaps there was a batch problem at some point. Will get in touch with Peter Tyson and hope they can sort it out, as it’s still under guarantee.

ubiknik likes this.
  13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Any difference in terms of sound quality between the Audiolab and the Cambridge CXC V2?

I'm tempted to buy the Cambridge CXC V2, but IMO is overpriced for $699

14. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

stenway likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Good news. You don't have to buy a 9000CDT to get drawer loading. There is a 7000CDT on it's way with other 7000 series components.

goldwax and Dignan2000 like this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

17. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

So 15 months after buying my 6000cdt it has decided to eat a cd and not give it back. Just a regular type disc, not a CD-R or anything else. My advice from the sales shop, since it is now 3 months out of warranty, is to either turn it so the slot is facing down and tap it while pressing eject, or take it to the local repair shop. Not impressed. Great sounding transport but there are issues.

goldwax likes this.
  18. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Yep. Try a CXC. I did and it's been great.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

A lot of my CD players have died so I am looking for just a transport, the theory being that it should last longer than a player. The 6000cdt was on my list but perhaps drawer loading isn't such a great idea. I wonder if there is one that uses a "puck" type of mechanism...

20. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Gary, My experience has been just the opposite. The transport section of a one box disc player usually goes before the DAC section. The transport mechanism has parts such as gears and pulleys that move things in and out and spin things. Also they have a tracking mechanism that moves the LASER so it can read the disc. All of these mechanical things are subject to wear and tear. On top of that the LASER itself usually goes out before the DAC chip does.

What have you been doing to your CD players? :help:

Gary likes this.
  21. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Yes, in Canada, but the problem is that you have to stop playing every 20 minutes to clean the CD surface.

Gary likes this.
  22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think it's my magnetic personality. :sigh:

Or the humidity in the basement...... ?!?!

bgiliberti likes this.
  23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Gary likes this.
  24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

25. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

The 7000 CDT looks nice but I really wish there was an AES/EBU digital output. Theres really no excuse for it. It's not that expensive to add and at least tells a portion of consumers that they're serious.

I'd also like to see a trend where CD Transports lose the Toslink output. I understand cheap DACs having Toslink inputs for TVs, but in these times it makes more sense to do USB and coax inputs on low end DACs. AES/EBU should be on everything (Transports and DACs) midrange level and up unless the component physically can't accommodate it.

stenway, Dignan2000 and martinb4 like this.