Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

The 7000CDT is now available to order and I just did. Already shipped and should be here next week.

2. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Sweet! Let us know what you think when it gets here! :)

Congrats on retirement btw!

Dafox and Art K like this.
  3. Art K

Will do and thank you!

Dafox likes this.
  4. Art K

First thing is that the 7000cdt does not read the CD layer on any of my RCA Living Stereo Hybrid SACD’s. The 6000cdt does. The 7000cdt does read the CD layer of my Mercury Living Presence SACD’s.

bgiliberti likes this.
  5. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Are any of them 3 channel/surround? That used to cause problems on my old Denon SACD player. I believe it involved default settings on the Denons. Probably won’t solve your problem, but you might just want to check the manual on that if you have not already - worth a shot anyway.

6. Art K

Yes, the one that worked had a 3 channel layer…now some RCA’s work and some don’t. Among those that work they are noisy as hell in the transport. Customer service at Audio Advisor and from Audiolab was absolutely dreadful. More on that later. In the end the 7000cdt is going back and I bought a 6000cdt for backup. Done.

Kray, Gizmo90, sberger and 4 others like this.
  7. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

What a bummer. I was hoping the 7000CDT would be a nice alternative since i couldn't deal with the 6000CDT scratching my discs. I happened to order a Cambridge CXC the day before the 7000CDT was announced, and now i'm really glad i did. It's been working out great.

Dafox, bgiliberti and Classicrock like this.
  8. bgiliberti

I like my audiolab streamer very much, but based on such reports, I wouldn’t go near their slot loaded CD products. I had been considering the Omnia for my den, but since it uses a slot loading mechanism, it’s off the list. It’s a shame, because their products are beautifully designed, and have a refined sound signature that I like very much.

Pigling Bland and goldwax like this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I have a 6000 CDT and it works as designed: no scratchee.

BilboAlaska, TheVU, Art K and 2 others like this.
  10. bgiliberti

Some do,
    Some don’t.
    Buy,
    I won’t.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's not worth the risk even if there are good ones. I'm sure the move to a draw was partly due to high returns.

Pigling Bland likes this.
  12. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

Same. I wonder if the actual number of ones that scratch is lower than it seems because you hear from people that have issues, not the other way around.

Still messed up that any would do it though

mjcmt likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My guess is a lot of people don't notice fine scratches or their CDs are already scratched especially if used in the car.

bgiliberti likes this.
  14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I check a lot and there are no scratches micro or otherwise.
    It had been suggested that how the disc is lifted out/in of the slot may contribute, but it's more than likely a QC issue.
    I have two Alpine CD/flac auto units and they don't scratch discs either.

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  15. bgiliberti

also, people who use them as coasters.

16. Art K

I have two of them now and they play discs perfectly and quickly. If they cause a minor scuff I really don’t care. They keep right on playing. I have not noticed any kind of regular scuffing and so I quit looking. I wanted a great sounding transport that plays all of my discs and this one meets my criteria. I don’t enjoy how any Cambridge product sounds that I have tried. That said, for those who do like them, more power to them. It’s about each of us finding the compromises that work for us.

17. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

A little update on mine. As instructed I powered the unit on, pointed the slot towards the floor, hit eject and shook the player. Out popped the disc! So I put the transport back into my system, put the Cambridge aside but not away, and so far it hasn't stuttered loading or unloading. So I'm thinking it was the disc, not the player. I'm glad, the Audiolab sounds smoother and more detailed than the Cambridge.

Art K, barfko, jfeldt and 1 other person like this.
  18. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

Great news.

19. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I have had two CD players die, and my transport has some stripped teeth on a gear that I'll need to 3-D print a replacement for. Thus, I've ended up focusing on my Genesis Digital lens to improve the sound quality of inexpensive CD players/transports instead of investing a lot again. However, if I were to get something again, I would also be tempted to get one with a puck, just since they are so cool from a tactile point of view. I don't know if they are more reliable though, and you then also run the risk of losing the puck.

BilboAlaska and Gary like this.
  20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I would think that it is advantageous to eliminate the loading mechanism. I have a Sony SACD carousel player that plays but does not spin! I don't want to use it as I might have to take it apart one day to rescue the CD!

jfeldt likes this.
  21. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

Anyone try a Jay's transport?

Andrew Littleboy likes this.
  22. bgiliberti

On my Marantz, all I have to do is press the “0pen” button.

23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

It's a drawer, probably the same as 7000CDT.

bgiliberti likes this.
  24. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person

I just bought a 6000CDT and went to put in Dave Brubeck Time Out SACD and got a "bad disc" error. This SACD has a CD layer and should play on any CD player. Does anyone else have this issue at all?

25. bgiliberti

Yes on the 7000, but I don't see such reports on the 6000. The critique on the latter is that the slot mechanism scratches the disc in some players. Hobson's choice one might say, and neither speaks well for what was once a respected made-in-the-UK brand. I hope they will address this sorry state of affairs before it's too late.