Audiolab 8300 Nightmare & Replacement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by not_my_first_rodeo, Mar 31, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. not_my_first_rodeo

not_my_first_rodeo New Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
    I have used this forum for years as a reference, but I thought I'd actually post something this time because I could use some help/thoughts.

In mid February 2022 I purchased the Audiolab 8300A and 8300CDQ combo. I won't lie, I was quite excited to own these. I got the CDQ as I required a new DAC, a CD Player and a fixed line output to use for some other components I have.

The 8300A has 2 pre outs, but via the menu system, Audiolab have failed to add a facility to switch the pre outs from variable to fixed, unlike the CDQ where this feature exists. A bit annoying, but I don't mind having the CDQ and 8300A as a pair, they sound great.

Unfortunately, within hours of unpacking and use, I noticed "bugs" with the remote. I do not use the 12v link, however, both items power on and off at the same time, the "display off" opperates both items, when adjust the volume on the amplifier, the CDQ "wakes up" amongst other "niggles".

Like I say, these are niggles and I contacted Audiolab to see what they had to say and upon confirming my firmware for each item was up to date, they said "hmm that's not right, we'll need to created an update, collect your seperates from you, update them then ship them back to you".

Things went quiet for alomost two weeks and in the meantime I'd been in contact with my retailer (known them for years and they're excellent both pre and post sales) who also agreed that this behaviour isn't right. Cutting a rather long story short, We're on the last day of March and Audiolab are refusing now to accept there is any problem at all and the remote "functions as it was designed". A Somewhat cop out phrase that actually, when you read the manual, it isn't functioning as designed.

I'm at the end of my teather with this and rather than being thrilled everytime I look at, turn on or use these pair, it leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth and I've explained this to my retailer and they fully understand.

They've offered me to return one of or both of the items and exchange for something else, however I'm not sure what to do. Choosing this Audiolab pair took ages and was about the only suitable setup at the time, within my budget. I'll explain my components and setup so far :

Pro-Ject Phono Box Ds
    Satellite Box (optical)
    Tascam MD Recorder Line out (playback)
    USB from Laptop
    Go into Audiolab 8300CDQ

Balanced XLR output from CDQ
    Dennon DNP-800NE Network Streamer
    Tascam CD Audio Recorder Playback
    Go into the Audiolab 8300A

There is an additional pair of RCA outputs on the CDQ, which are at fixed line level and go into the Tascam CD Recorder.

I then have the Audiolab 8300A connected to a new pair of KEF 350Q.

The CDQ acts as a DAC and CD Player together, so my initial thoughts are to keep the CDQ and that then leaves me wondering what amplifier options I might have available.

The UK R.R.P for the 8300A is around £1000.00 so that's the given budget starting point, I say starting point as I can probably go over by a little considering the nonsense I've been put through by Audiolab so far.

I'd love to hear some suggestions from people as to what you'd suggest as a replacement amplifier.

I have a huge music collection covering all manner of styles and genres, from Opera and Classical, to Acoustic Folk and Jazz, to EDM and classic rock, to both new and original Soul and R&B.

I have considered Musical Fidelity, but I have heard rumours that they can lose control at the lower end with the likes of acoustic double basses and the kind of "lows" involved with EDM. If this is incorrect information, then please do let me know.

Thanks in advance folks and I look forward to hearing what info you have to share

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.