Australian Rock Bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Goat, Feb 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Fusionfan and bmoc79 like this.
  2. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I want to plug this gem of a live number, John Farnham, Little River Band, Reminiscing.

Farnham's vocal is absolutely incredible.

3. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

A few more:

The Lovetones (still together....just released a new album "Myriad" in 2020)
    Ice Cream Hands
    Dolly Rocker Movement

kouzie, Kingsley Fats and veloso2 like this.
  4. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

I have loved Radio Birdman since the 70s but in recent years I have listened a lot to the early Blue Oyster Cult records and at least half of the riffs on Radio Birdman songs are direct lifts from BOC.

Lime Spiders is one of the best live rock bands ever with a flamethrower of a vocalist.

I once saw a triple bill of Rollins Band/Hard Ons/Cosmic Psychos, my ears still havent recovered.

Scientist were fantastic .

Left Field and DME1061 like this.
  5. Munger74

Munger74 Forum Resident

Don’t forget Bob Daisely who is Australian.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  6. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

How has nobody mentioned AC/DC?

best and biggest Australian band ever ! Oy !

7. Freewheelin

Freewheelin Forum Resident

You am I
    Died pretty
    The drones
    Bluebottle kiss
    Even
    Gaslight radio
    Beasts of bourbon
    Regurgitator
    The clouds
    Ratcat
    Cruel sea
    Falling joys

ChristopherTeuma and bmoc79 like this.
  8. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

feedtime

humanbeing likes this.
  9. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

For electronic music fans there's Single Gun Theory

Retropsych and Kassonica like this.
  10. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident

Best australian band ever.

Kingsley Fats and blutiga like this.
  11. coldnebraskablue

coldnebraskablue Forum Resident

The Garden Path, from Adelaide I think. One of the greatest opening lines ever:

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  12. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Eye catching frontperson, classic rock riffage plus mullets. What's not to love? :) Amyl and the Sniffers, 'Some Mutts (Can't Be Muzzled)'

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    vamborules and Boots71 like this.
  13. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

The Easybeats

14. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

A couple from the early 70' & my home town.

15. Kingsley Fats

16. Kingsley Fats

And a great power pop album

17. Kingsley Fats

Another early 70's classic

18. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

I love this album by The Apartments and the tragic back story.

19. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I've posted this one before in other threads but will post again because I think it's one of the greatest songs ever written about the art of performing. Barking mad and brilliant: Dave Graney, 'Rock n Roll is Where I Hide'
    "I'm dropping some fxxxin' science on you here"

Mylene, bmoc79 and blutiga like this.
  20. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

Yes, BABY ANIMALS, Suze de Marchi was the lead singer for this great Aussie band. I spoke to Suze many times over the years both backstage and on radio shows across OZ. She's a fantastic " sheila" (Australian slang for chick :):)) and very talented to boot. The last gig I saw with BA was at Towradgi Beach Hotel near where i live in OZ.......what a show mates...unforgettable :):)

21. changeling69

What about Jo Jo Zep & the Falcons................Joe Camilleri is a friend of mine too :):):)

22. changeling69

Funny nobody mentioned Ted Mulry Gang yet.........unforgettable OZ band.....After getting tired of being backed by different backing bands, in 1972 he switched from acoustic guitar to bass and formed his own band, "Ted Mulry Gang", with guitarist Les Hall & drummer Herman Kovacs. The band signed a recording deal with Albert Productions in 1974 and released their first album Here We Are. Guitarist Gary Dixon joined around this time to complete the foursome. With his own band behind him he adopted a more hard rockin' style. Their first major hit, and the biggest of their career was the 1975 single Jump In My Car which spent 6 weeks at number one on the Australian singles charts in 1976. It was the second single released from the Here We Are album produced by John L Sayers at Trafalgar Studios. Over the next few years they achieved a string of hit singles including a rocked up version of the old jazz song, Darktown Strutter's Ball, Crazy, Jamaica Rum and My Little Girl. Many of TMG's songs, including Jump In My Car, were co-written with guitarist Les Hall. By the early 1980s their chart success had ended but they remained popular performers on the Australian pub circuit throughout the decade. In 1998 Ted released a solo CD called "This Time" of songs co-written by himself and his brother Steve Mulry. In early 2001 Ted Mulry announced that he had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. A series of tribute concerts organised shortly before his death, Gimme Ted, brought together an assortment of Australian rock acts of his era to pay tribute to him. These included a reunion of his band Ted Mulry Gang with his brother Steve Mulry standing in for him as lead vocalist. Steve fronts the rock band and performs at many venues, including biker events, around the New South Wales. In January 2006, David Hasselhoff recorded a version of Ted's classic Jump In My Car whilst in Australia. Hasselhoff's version of Jump In My Car was subsequently released in the UK and went to #3 in the charts there in October 2006.

Dave116 likes this.
  23. changeling69

One OZ's great unforgotten glam rock bands.......SKYHOOKS :)

24. changeling69

Never to be forgotten (RIP Max :(:().....

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  25. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever is a very good live band too IMO.

I like The War on Drugs better among current acts (from anywhere), but RBCF probably is my favorite band that has become prominent since the mid-2010s.

bmoc79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.