Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Keith Rowe/John Tilbury: Duos for Doris

Today the 71 minute piece that is disc 1. Disc 2 is two pieces - 50 something minutes and the short under 20 minute piece.

On erstwhile records

93curr and EL34 like this.
  2. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

no furniture

Boris Baltschun - sampler
    Axel Dörner - computer, trumpet
    Kai Fagaschinski - clarinet

[​IMG]

Label: Creative Sources
    Recorded, mixed and mastered between November 2002 and October 2003 in Berlin

93curr likes this.
  3. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Pierre Henry-Polyphonies

12 CD Career spanning set for $60
    Can’t beat that with a stick

93curr, phil1db and Vaughan like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Cage compositions played on solo acoustic guitar (with some violin too).

93curr likes this.
  5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Would be curious to hear his arrangement of Bacchanale. Does it work?

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

elaterium likes this.
  7. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

FURT: Sense
    Richard Barrett and Paul Obermayer (electronics)

[​IMG]
    The duo of Richard Barrett and Paul Obermayer in 12 studio tracks of semi-composed electronics, and a live improvised tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen.

8. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Mathias Spahlinger: Farben Der Frühe, for seven pianos [2005]
    Ensemble SurPlus/James Avery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Recorded live March 20, 2007 in the Carl-Orff-Saal, Gasteig, München

93curr likes this.
  9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Not sure it counts, but I am currently enjoying Seven by Soft Machine. A great record.

93curr and Tim 2 like this.
  10. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

John Wall: computer editing/arrangement and composition.
    Mark Durgan: modular synthesizer and signal processing

This work was compiled from free improvisations recorded in Utterpsalm studios between 2012-15

[​IMG]
    released August 1, 2017

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  11. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

FURT is the electronic composition/performance duo formed by Richard Barrett and Paul Obermayer in London in 1986. FURT’s... dense and intricate musical forms are produced at every level by an interpenetration between free improvisation and systematic composition

[​IMG]

12. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

13. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

As the cover says, this is a Cage piece with Thurston Moore, David Toop, and Jon Leidecker playing a part. Essentially, each played as a duo with Tania Chen. These were then mixed later, based on chance operations. So sometimes you get the duo of Tania and Thurston, which morphs into Tania and David. Since this is based on chance operations, you can also get silence, which has the effect of breaking this piece into tracks - sort of. There is as much as 3 minutes of silence in parts, based on chance.

So what does it sound like? I'd say.... like lightweight Merzbow. It's never as abrasive, but it's essentially noise with odd - random - breaks. Quite exhilarating actually. You never know where it's going to go, and it jumps about apologetically. Not an every day album, but fun nonetheless.

93curr, Mike Ga and andolink like this.
  15. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

[​IMG]

93curr and Vaughan like this.
  16. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I'll second this one.

[​IMG]

17. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Conrad Schnitzler and Pole - Construct (2017).

[​IMG]

93curr and Vaughan like this.
  18. Tokyo Ghost

Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer - Re: ECM (2011).

[​IMG]

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Got a few lately.

The first I'll mention is Pierre Henry's Variations. Henry - as you likely know - was a leader in early Musique Concrete. In the track Variations pour une porte et un soupir he has constructed a piece based on the sounds of a sigh, a deep breath, and the creaky door. This is just right up my alley. For those not willing to spend cash on it, the track is on Youtube:

93curr likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Another couple I'll mention are these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting a long story short, in the early 70's Bley and Annette Peacock were about to get, and take on the road, a prototype Moog synthesizer. There's no piano here, it's the moog in a handful of performances (both discs are live).

They sound.... well, crude. Honestly, the early moog wasn't up for this level of performance at the time. That said, that's what makes them fascinating. Not easy listening, but for the folks in this thread it'll pose no problems. I must also say, the CD releases for these have been lovingly done, with decent booklets with some history, and quotes from the performers. Lovely stuff. There's a third disc in the series that I really must pick up.

21. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Wow! Thanks for posting these Vaughn. That Improvisie recording really brings back memories. I purchased that record circa 1979-80 during my first forays into the world of free improvisation in my final year of college. Then I jettisoned my LP collection in 1988-89 after having gone 100% digital in 1983 and completely lost track of a whole bunch of classic late '60's and early '70's free improv discs I'd collected at that time.

What Bley and Peacock were doing in these recordings was unique and wonderful. I had no idea they'd come out on CD!

Vaughan likes this.
  22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I think it counts, I was listening to it the other night.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Been playing this one today. A trilogy of sorts witbh the previous two I posted a couple posts ago. There is one other disc that make up a sorta-kinda-quadrology, but alas it costs mucho funds (Revenge: The Greater the Love, the Bigger the Hate).

This album though.... sort of has a Herbie Hancock feel to it from the Head Hunters era - except it's more free, and less funky. On the previous two albums you feel that Bley was experimenting, where with this one the vibe is that he's trying to use the Moog as a fully integratd member of his Jazz trio. It kinda works. Good stuff.

Pet Peeve: if a label decides to release a series of albums that are connected, and when fans will likely buy each of them, there should be NO duplicate information in the booklets, imo. Just saying.

ruben lopez and jay.dee like this.
  24. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Revenge was reissued a few years ago with a couple of bonus tracks as I belong to a world that's destroying itself - I picked mine up when AP played Cafe Oto in late 2015.

Copies of this on CD are a sight cheaper than buying the original album...

Bley-Peacock Synthesizer Show - Revenge: The Bigger The Love The Greater The Hate (All Versions) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

Vaughan and jay.dee like this.
  25. Tokyo Ghost

Bang On A Can - Music For Airports (1998).

[​IMG]

Mike Ga and Vaughan like this.