Avatar - The Way of Water - Dec 16/2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

TV spot - "They're hunting us".

2. Deuce66

They finally get to relax a little, post production is now done.

Jon Landau,
    Congratulations to the entire Avatar: The Way of Water family. Yesterday we completed our final mix and picture mastering and I snapped this picture of our post finishing team. I am thankful to every one of you for your contributions to the film.
    11:31 AM · Nov 24, 202

[​IMG]

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Dude front and center in the black T-shirt looks like he’s reconsidering his life choices.

Deuce66 and Eleanora's Alchemy like this.
  4. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

based on Social Media reaction , this going to bomb in a big way

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"This is where we make our stand."

"Avatar: Ragnarok"

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's amazing how little in 13 years the crappy CGI of the first film has changed.

aroney and brucewayneofgotham like this.
  7. Deuce66

This post will be saved for posterity.

The first weekend estimate based on pre-sales is $150-175 million for domestic which accounts for maybe 30% of Avatar's worldwide box office. Based on this alone it's already tracking to go well above $1B in short order + whatever they get from China. Let's revisit on Jan 1. :righton:

Unknown Delight, Vidiot and Quadboy like this.
  8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Pre-purchased my ticket for the 16th.

9. dunce

dunce Local jester!

Based on social media reaction, this could make surprising numbers. Not 2 billion numbers, but surprising ones

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  10. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Ha ha!... Yes, he looks like how I feel.

Actually, the photograph was snapped right after James Cameron had quietly taken him aside and softly whispered into his ear ''Listen, Avatar 3 is just about to begin production,
    it'll only take 12 years to complete, are you interested in working on it with m
    e?''.... :winkgrin:

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  11. brucewayneofgotham

That is what I meant, thanks

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I still will throw out the $1.2B to 1.4B as a reasonable expectation. Noting that I use the terms reasonable and expectation.

Based on your production cost per-movie numbers, I don't see anything wrong with these realistic numbers. Plenty of profit here.

Still, I am not getting statements like WoW having to be the 4th highest movie gross in history just to break even and similar statements? If they spent $250M plus another $100M on promotion, that would make $350M in total production outlay. With a 3x formula, that would indicate a profit at just over $1B. I think it would easily do that. At $1.4B, that would be 4x the production and promotion costs (based on your guesstimates).

Nothing wrong with this. Taking in to consideration the time that has elapsed since the original.

I think that a major factor in its favor will be the lack of other quality movies for competition. These past few months have been horrible! The upcoming months aren't any better.

I like Avatar and hope that WaW well exceeds my guesstimations!

Vidiot and Deuce66 like this.
  13. Deuce66

The "I'm too old for this ****" look, I know it well.

Vidiot and Crack To The Egg like this.
  14. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

I did the ride at Disney World. Don't care for the movie.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I totally agree. There were naysayers in the 1990s and the 2000s and now the 2020s who were convinced that Jim Cameron would eventually make a big movie bomb, but I don't think this one will be it. I'd bet anybody $1000 that Avatar: The Way of Water will go over $1 billion worldwide in the next 120 days, easily. The bet I won't take is whether it'll hit $2 billion.

Yeah, I think those are safe numbers. We're planning to see it in Imax in the first week unless I get completely slammed with work.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Deuce66

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Interview with Sam W along with a short clip of the movie.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Deuce66 and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And another fantastic interview with Cameron in GQ:

The Return of James Cameron, Box Office King

This is by far the most in-depth interview I've read about him in ten years. Cameron has quite a remarkable story to tell... but note he steadfastly refuses to say that Avatar: The Way of Water is an *animated* film -- which to me is what it is, albeit photorealistic, motion-captured, computer-rotoscoped (with a bit of AI).

Deuce66 and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Bomb? I highly doubt that. Maybe not $2 billion, because the movie theater business has fundamentally shifted, but i would be surprised if it didn’t still join the $1 billion club.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

...different. I thought it looked like crap. Am I the only one?
    - Stuff in the foreground out of focus, only the middle of the shot focused, stuff in the back out of focus. Not natural at all. As opposed to U2 3D which pretty much you could see individuals in the stadium.

22. brucewayneofgotham

$1 billion would be a bomb for this film, Cameron stated if this film doesn't end up in the Top 4 of all-time, it will be a major disappointment

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If that has to be the case, I feel that WoW is in for a terrible disappointment!

Is it expensive? Yes it is, but not unrealistically so. Even though this has been said, I think it will not prove to be the case. Anything over $1.1B should be profitable. $1.4B+ will be excellent news.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Looking at the trailer, the film looks dreadful! Those horrible Avatar beings again and all the gamey action and effects. Probably worse than the first movie (that I called Pocahontas meets My Little Poney).

25. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Well, that is not what you originally said. Context is important, and the commercial cinema business is very different than it was back in 2009 - to fail to recognize that is to miss the proverbial 'forest for the trees'. My 'guess' is $1.8 B globally. Mostly moot though, as we will find out soon enough.

I thought the trailer looked fantastic, and I will venture out to the cinema for this.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.