Avocado Memories: Photos of long-forgotten blank cassettes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clark V Kauffman, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

You’ll easily sell them, I’m not sure how much you can expect for them but with the prices of sealed tapes getting silly there is definitely a demand for quality used ones out there.

2. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

The word was that 120 min. were too much for most decks and would warble. Not sure how accurate that was. They weren't easy to find anyway.

3. Yea, they did. It was funny Tandy/Radio Shack made their own tapes for years and then bought Memorex and started selling rebranded Memorex cassettes for years.

I had one of those Memorex metal tapes (I think there was a Metal Type IV and a Metal that had high bias like the TDK HX-S) that were far better than the mediocre MRX cassettes that came in those rounded cassette boxes that were smoked plastic, not clear from the early/mid 80s, but as you said not a TDK MA or Maxell MX. The shells were much better than the past - more like the Japanese cassettes.

Tandy/Radio Shack sold Memorex in 1993 and eventually Imation (old 3M/Scotch media business) bought it and then sold it, by then it was just a brand.

When Radio Shack was making tape they did not make metal, but sourced their metal from Denon (DXM) in Japan with Supertape J-card and old style black/clear box and later bought Denon and Maxell OEM'd cassettes post Memorex ownership.

sunspot42 and Hardcore like this.
  4. Hardcore

These are the Memorex I associate with Tandy. I had plenty of these back then.

[​IMG]

Rodant Kapoor and Steve-Boston like this.
  5. Hardcore

This is the oldest tape I have, it was one of my grandparents. Ive had it since the 80s but I think it dates from the late 60s.

[​IMG]

ffracer, Steve-Boston and Man at C&A like this.
  6. macster

macster Forum Resident

Put together some photos of what you want to sell and see how it goes. It's all about price and demand. If no one wants them I'll take them off of your hands for the right price.

M~

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I personally love C-120s. Never had one break on my nor stretch or anything. They simply did not have as much volume output as C-60s or C-90s. Maybe also because I never played my tapes to death. I'd listen to something else rather than burn out on one album or artist. 120s were also great for various artists comps.

When BASF started making Chrome C-120s I loved it. This was as CDs were well established and many of them were clocking in at 55 to 61min. I did many CDs complete on one side of a BASF CRO2 120.

ffracer, Hardcore and Classic Car Guy like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, I'll do that. Any brands or types you like in particular?

9. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I never tried using 120 before. what about speed timing?

10. macster

macster Forum Resident

I like TDK and Maxell, but I have an open mind.

M~

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That era was early on 1969-71. Yes, Ampex, and prerecorded tapes from Atlantic, Dunhill, London, and Warner / Reprise. I guess that they had about every label except Capitol and RCA. Foam pads, hissy tapes, paper labels that wore out quickly. Real junkers sadly.

Hardcore likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The capstan pinch roller kept speed perfect. Like I said the only drawback was lower output levels (=more hiss) until BASF did a chrome version, then they got good!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  13. Classic Car Guy

okay great...
    My only time buying this and I remember it was 1990. Until now I feel so embarrass opening it.
    [​IMG]

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well other than Recoton and Gold Series seemingly a contradiction, I would not open it as it might be collectible as what not to buy?

But these are 90 min. right? Not 120s?

clhboa and Classic Car Guy like this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

From memory and experiences making mix tapes in the late 80's, TDK and Maxwell were the best for the 90 min tapes. Sony was third. Memorex and Radio Shack tapes were the worst.

16. Classic Car Guy

LoL.. The same guy that sells me TDK tapes in Del Amo Mall back in the 80's. He ran out of the SA at that time and I didn't evenknow why I bought it.Maybe it was $5.99 for the package.
    Yes on your comment .. That sounds about right and its a 90 mins.. I have so much other sealed cassettes to use before I even think about opening this as a last resort.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I recorded a few of these. They really weren't that bad if you weren't going for anything serious.

Hardcore likes this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

This recorded "Best of OMD" album is one of the best recordings I made. I wanna try recording this again on a TDK pure chrome or up using a Nakamichi BX-300 recorder.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I always found them. I regrettably used the cheapo ones in the 70s. You know, the ones in the 2-pack cellophane hangers found in department stores. I bought them at Thrifty Drug. If you talk about the 80s, TDK sold them around here, and I remember them to be of better quality. But, still, I didn't like using them. The tape was too thin.

I did buy the 100 and 110 minute tapes from TDK, Maxell, and Fuji in the 90s. They worked out OK.

20. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yeah, don't $$$$ open it.

M~

21. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

[​IMG] Out of curiosity, how much would a box of 10 Maxell XLII 90 tapes go for these days?
    [​IMG]

22. Hardcore

That one plays and winds but it makes it known that it’s not very happy about it! I’m not sure it’d be much different had it been a 90 though.

I never had a problem with one either that I can think of.

23. Hardcore

Wow that’s quite a stash. I would assume around $150 or thereabouts.

24. This Sony UCX-S 90 tape was meant to compete with TDK's SA & SA-X tapes.
    I bought a few to test and found them to be very good tapes.
    This one was recorded in 1982 on a TEAC V-1RX deck.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Azura

Azura Felis silvestris grampia, factum ex trabibus ferro

I used to do a lot of home taping from the radio and used 120's to get as much time per side as I could. I had very few problems with them though night after night recording would eventually take its toll. I got lots of dire warnings but nobody had actually used them, they'd been put off by other people who hadn't heard them. TDK AD120 and D120 and Maxell, UDI120 and UDII120.

fretter and Hardcore like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.