Avocado Memories: Photos of long-forgotten blank cassettes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clark V Kauffman, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah, i'm not "most people". :D The music that came out in the first half of the 80s was recorded or released in 1979. That's what makes 1979 part of the 80s.

Max Florian likes this.
  2. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Way back in the 90s I bought a few That’s Suono, which was their übertape. Even then it was expensive, and beautifully constructed. I think I may still have some, perhaps even one or two sealed. First I need to go rummage…

McLover and Max Florian like this.
  3. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Fun thread-brings back memories

Max Florian and jusbe like this.
  4. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

TDK SA, 60 minutes, 1984, still in wrapper. Just five years after the 1979 cassette on the previous page, but it is a completely different planet: new style for the cassette, the case, the packaging. As sweet as a chocolate bar, definitely not avocado. Mid-late 1980s were the best.

[​IMG]

5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Definitely. Those were the days we use to get laid without a single dollar in our pocket.
    There use to be a cassette tape way back 1982. When you open the wrapper it smells like bubblegum...

Max Florian likes this.
  6. I used to buy a lot of these in 90 mins. All around great tape. That and MAs. Great stuff.

superstar19 likes this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

Avocado babies....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pinknik, Breck, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  8. Grant

For me, this is the point where the quality of the shells and the pressure pad started to dip.

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I was never a huge fan of TDK's tapes. That having been said, I somehow scored a couple of these monsters, and they were out of this world:

[​IMG]

I played around a bit with Sony's tapes - since I had a Sony deck and they looked fantastic - but didn't love them and mostly stuck with Maxell chrome or metal tape for quality recordings during the early-to-mid '80s. I did experiment though with other brands, buying some Denon tape and the occasional cassette from Realistic, TDK, Memorex or BASF. Memorex had some incredibly cheap metal tapes at one point toward the late '80s that were priced more like normal bias cassettes. They weren't as good as Maxell's metal tapes but seemed decent value for the money. I didn't have a cassette deck of my own though and wasn't making tons of tapes anymore so cost wasn't such a concern.

Late in the '80s or early '90s as Fuji made their big push into the US tape market I switched over to their videotape, and loved it so much I started using their audio tape almost exclusively. Great value for the money, especially on sale. I was making more cassettes at that point for the car, borrowing decks from relatives and friends for the occasional recording or using a very nice 3-head Teac deck at the university and my portable CD player.

I actually never owned a recorder or made another cassette after moving away from Phoenix in '95. RIP, mixtapes!

jesterthejedi and superstar19 like this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

11. dmcnelly

dmcnelly Grammy Award Loser

Showing my age a little bit here, but the first blanks I had to record with were Sony's CDit tapes. I remember them having a cool, lenticular cover and begging my mom to buy me a pack. "But you don't have a cassette deck, and we don't even have a CD player!" Got my first little Craig boombox for my birthday that year with a 3 pack of the 60 minute CDit tapes so I could record songs off the radio.

Donniej and Rodant Kapoor like this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

After recording close to 40 of C-90 tapes (lately) using the Nakamichi BX series. Its a fight between these two tapes in a common everyday type I high fidelity recording and playback. Ive done all kinds of adjustments, settings and approach coming from sound source of LP and Digital file w/ DAC.. I havent done reel source yet. The TDK has brilliancy while the Fuji has the warmth sound. Both are excellent hi fidelity.. Any takes???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  13. Grant

I preferred the TDK. I was surprised at how good this tape sounds when used with Dolby S.

14. Classic Car Guy

Aaaah.. That makes sense for I don't use dolby. But that's great to know. Thanks!

15. Classic Car Guy

Finally off and just got home RocKi'n. Happy Friday. :shtiphat:

[​IMG]

16. Grant

I saw some cheap Chinese-made 90 minute blank tapes in the old-fashioned blister pack at Walmart last week. They were cheap enough that I was tempted to try them out. maybe I will and report back to you guys.

17. Classic Car Guy

Best of Foreigner in Ferri-Chrome. :shtiphat:

[​IMG]

18. Grant

With Barbra Streisand on the label!:laugh: Well, they both had hits on the top 10 in 1977.

19. Classic Car Guy

You gotta try recording No End Sight album - Foreigner even on type I. It sounds so syrupy and glorious. One of the best recordings I made. So I ended up demagnetizing Barbara out of the loop...:biglaugh:

20. Grant

One of the things I did like about tape is that I could dub a digitally-recorded CD and make it sound more analog. Somehow, DAW tape emulator plugins just don't cut it.

21. Classic Car Guy

What interface are you using in transform and connect to the recorder?
    There is a question in another site about can tapes sound better than LP or source after recorded?
    To me the only answer I know is, I can make the original more listenable to my own preference.
    I have simple minds "Live in the city of light" 1989. I really like the way how it was performed on both vocals and instruments and the recordings. But the original reproduction was shy about 6db. This is barely one of the few albums I remastered. I just volume it up to 3+ and run my analog dynamic expander. Bingo.. sounds like it was recorded in Mark Knofler's studio.

22. Grant

Back then, i'd just hook the CD outs to my tape deck, dub, then play that dub into the A/D converter of either my DAT or computer soundcard.

Yes. It's all subjective.

For enhancement, I now favor parametric or graphic EQ.

23. Classic Car Guy

software or outboard?

24. Grant

Sigh...software.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  25. Classic Car Guy

I just got this a few minutes ago. In this tape. I don't know yet...:nauga:

[​IMG]

superstar19 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.