Avocado Memories: Photos of long-forgotten blank cassettes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clark V Kauffman, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

you put the equalization in the recording?
    So that's means you don't use an outboard EQ if I'm correct?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Why are you taking me to task on this?

3. Classic Car Guy

Just wanna get different ideas on how people lay tracks. Its very rare almost in any site to talk about things like this. Mostly youll see people showing gadgets they have. But I think the techniques and methods of doing recording is as important as having nice equipment's.

Max Florian likes this.
  4. Grant

Agree. We used to have a lot more discussions like this on the forum, but not so much anymore with the "music only" types here.

I used to use hardware but the choices for software are much more diverse and cheaper.

5. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

[​IMG]

I just came back from a flea market and found 5 of these tapes sealed - the seller originally wanted 25 cents each but sold the lot for $1. I had never seen this type of tape before.

6. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Supposed to be pretty decent. Would have snapped them up too, if I'd seen them. JVC/Victor has a good rep for audio cassettes.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

Sorry for the late answer.. Yes its 90 mins Type I package of 10

8. Classic Car Guy

I don't know if I answered this but so far I have transferred it into wav file, run in on performer plus including all the levels then playback on the motu m5. = dig-alog.

Grant likes this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

Finally got this baby. Perfect for recording..

clhboa and crustycurmudgeon like this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Anyone have any experience using this tape? Sound, durability..etc... Thanks,,,

[​IMG]

11. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

It's a "basic" Type 1 tape. Not great, but not bad either. Nothing special...on a par with Maxell's "Communicator" or TDK's "D" or "Maverick" lines. It was good for general stuff, quick LP transfers, airchecks and the like. Never had a problem with them, in fact the few I still have play well (more dropouts than better tapes though) and the shells are holding up quite nicely.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

That's really useful to know - someone was selling a box of 10 for £40 on ebay and I figured that was too much unless they were the quality of a super ferric, the 3M SX chrome tapes aren't too bad, I found some quite cheaply a few years ago but have not seen any since.

3M SX90 Studio Master chrome blank audio cassette tapes - Retro Style Media

Classic Car Guy and empirelvr like this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

I just got this on the mail and I have no idea when it came for it might be soaked in moist. Anyways trying to thaw/dry it naturally so I can do a trial demo. This is NAC's (National Audio Company) latest 799 Studio Master type II cobalt cassette tape that is replacing the old version of their type chrome version for environmental reasons. I am very excited to try this new tape possibly in 2 days from now till I feel like its dry enough. I have very strong faith with them since I been using their old type I cassette and been very happy throughout the years.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2021 799 Studio Master 60 Minute Type II Cobalt Packaged Cassettes
    799 Studio Master 60 minute tapes, imprinted and packaged in boxes of 10.

• NAC’s highest quality mastering cassette
    • Smooth-running cassette housing
    • Imprinted tape and traditional J-card
    • Clear Norelco-style box
    • Individually cello-wrapped with tear strip
    • Packed in protective 10-pack box
    • 10-pack box shrink-wrapped to prevent contamination.
    Requires recording equipment with a high bias setting.
    SKU: C799-C060PB
    Categories: Audio Cassette Tapes, C756 Cobalt Cassettes Type II

Featuring genuine high bias cobalt mastering tape. For the most demanding recording applications, Studio Master sets the gold standard in Type II performance. Cobalt oxide combines outstanding output and low distortion providing unmatched musical clarity. This high bias tape delivers up to 4db more output than earlier Type II tapes without saturation or distortion.
    Specification is for +2 db over biasing at 6.3 kHz. 20 db below reference level.
    Record Equalization — For optimum performance, record equalization should be set after biasing as the oxide in this tape responds somewhat differently due to its high performance characteristics. Sold in Cartons of 10.
    The length of the tape refers to the full recordable time on both sides of the tape. A C-60 cassette has 30 minutes of recording time on each side.
    Note: National Audio’s Cobalt Type II tape, manufactured in Springfield, MO, has replaced chrome in our packaged 799 Studio Master cassettes because chrome tape can no longer be made because of environmental reasons.
    Related Products

chilinvilin likes this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

Thanks for the follow-up. Great to know about your tape experience with the 3M Ferrics. I bought 2 boxes of 120 minutes for I been recording lots of LP and using the 120 tapes minutes for my work from home music. Its really cool because I'm able to transfer 2-3 albums in 1 tape so in 8 hours (4-cassettes) its like listening 10 to 12 albums a day. I'm using a TDK D120 for this format listening format and I dial the bias to a slight warmer side to make it sound more pleasurable in long hours of listening. Its just like listening to LP on the fly. I love it man. I hope I can push the 3M tapes atleast +3db using the Nakamichi recorder so it will sound clear on playback like what I'm experiencing on the TDK.

empirelvr likes this.
  15. stuartypoorty

stuartypoorty Forum Resident

ShallowMemory and jusbe like this.
  16. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

17. stuartypoorty

stuartypoorty Forum Resident

Let me see if I can rectify the image loss...not happening yet so apologies all round, must work on that aspect.

Hi Justin, it is an esoteric and varied collection for sure. Very well thanks, likewise for you too?

Stuart

jusbe likes this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

Hi,
    Follow-up on the 2021 Type II NAC Studio Master tape.
    I was able to put it on the recorder 2 days ago to run the 1 hour album. It got cut off on the third song. I forgot and even mentioned to another member that my BX-300 shut down a few days ago. So I'm gonna pull out the other BX-300 tonight and record it again. But so far on the playback of the 3 songs easily sounds better than my old NAC recordings. But in all fairness the tape on the left side is recent copy of a "Type I" only which sounds the same from my very first one I recorded in the same NAC tape close to 10 years ago.
    Anyways I just did a quick video on the just using an iphone. What I can say is this tape "sounds" way better than the type I collection I made. Of course besides the New NAC type II, I'm gonna try recording another Type II which is a Fuji DR II and compare it side by side. But as you can hear in the video even its maxed out to 5db, its very clear with a bit of warmth and excellent bass dynamics. But after the recording, the true test is yet to come and how long will the quality last after so many playbacks.
    PS. Very curious about the spool thickness. The other one is a 90 minutes comparing to the new NAC.

[​IMG]

19. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

My favorite thread. I can smell the memories of each tape.

Grant, jusbe and chilinvilin like this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

21. Classic Car Guy

22. Classic Car Guy

Announcement for a new Type II High Bias Cobalt Cassette Tape that will be in the 2022 market production.
    TASCAM Master 424 Studio C-60 High Bias Type II Cobalt Cassette
    $21.99
    Free Shipping
    PREORDER TODAY

The TASCAM 424 Studio Master Cassette Rejuvenates the Sound of Analog
    Limited Edition Cassettes Developed & Optimized for use in Vintage TASCAM PortastudiosSanta Fe Springs, CA - December 2021... To this day, many aspiring and professional audio recording aficionados adamantly maintain that analog recording and the 'good old days' of tape will never be replaced by today's random access digital solutions. And considering that many of today's digital recordings are mastered at least partially in the analog domain for the 'warmth' that man

***This Product Available in the U.S. Only***
    [​IMG]
    The TASCAM MASTER 424 Studio Cassette type is a limited release genuine high bias cobalt oxide cassette specifically engineered for outstanding output (4db louder than standard Type II cassettes), low distortion, and unmatched musical clarity when used with TASCAM Portastudio cassette recorders. Industry leading specs like high coercivity for superior storage capacity and almost double the retentivity of standard cassette tapes for enhanced imaging of your recordings ensure your recordings will be higher-fidelity and stronger than ever. The tape formulation was engineered and tested specifically in recalibrated and restored vintage TASCAM Portastudio workstations.

The TASCAM Portastudio opened the door to home recording over 40 years ago and was THE sound for thousands of albums over the decades, from Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska to DeWolff’s TASCAM Tapes. The TASCAM Portastudio's legions of fans and users range from Lady Gaga, Wu-Tang Clan and Beck to Bootsy Collins, Beastie Boys, and the Mars Volta. With vintage TASCAM Portastudios selling at a premium price on the used market, TASCAM is proud to provide the gold standard for the cassette medium for a limited time.

MASTER 424 Studio Cassette SPECIFICATIONS

Physical Properties
    Base Material Polyester Tensilized
    Standard Width 3.81mm
    Width Tolerance +0/-0.05mm
    Total Thickness 16.3μm
    Base Thickness 12.2μm
    Yield Strength Kg/3.81mm >=0.70
    Breaking Strength Kg/3.81mm >=1.5
    Magnetic Properties
    Coercivity 540 Oe
    Retentivity 1,700Gauss
    Erasure Field 1,800 Oe
    Squareness 0.72
    Electromagnetic Properties
    Recommended Sensitivity Reducation for Test [email protected] 2.5dB
    Bias Ratio 0.0dB
    Maximum Output Level for 3% THD +2.6dB
    Third Harmonic Distortion at Reference Level 2.0%
    Maximum (Saturated) Output Level at 12.5 KHZ -0.5dB
    Relative Tape Sensitivity at 315 Hz -1.0dB
    Relative Tape Sensitivity at 3150 Hz -1.1dB
    Relative Tape Sensitivity at 10 Hz -1.5dB
    Relative Tape Sensitivity at 12.5 Hz -1.0dB
    Relative Tape Sensitivity at 15.5 Hz -0.6dB
    Reference Level to Bias Noise Ratio -60.0dB
    Reference Level 250nW/m
    Recommended Bias 2.0dB*
    ***Specification is for +2 db over biasing at 6.3kHz.20db below reference level.
    Record Equalization - For optimum performance, record equalization should be set after biasing , as the oxide in this tape responds somewhat differently due to its high performance characteristics.***
    [​IMG]

23. Grant

That artwork looks so retro! Those are so cool. I'll be ordering these.

chilinvilin and jusbe like this.
  24. Classic Car Guy

25. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

They really are interesting. I missed them the first time around way back in the 80’s and 90’s but a couple of years ago I went back in to the world of cassette tapes again when I got a good old Nakamichi 582 cassette deck. Around the same time I decided to get some blank tapes. It was then I found a bunch of different Super Ferric tapes and I must say that the results when recording on them are astonishing. In most cases I like them better than the TDK SA’s and Maxell XLII’s that were my favourites back in the heyday of tapes. I now regret being so single-minded way back in time only focusing on Type II and Type IV cassette tapes but better late than never. ;)

Max Florian, jusbe and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.