AXPONA Live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen

It sounds like you spend a lot of time on classic audio forums and the collective wisdom there may not exactly line up with the general opinion of many audio consumers.

I've never heard the L-100's, classic or current models, but would like to based on what I'm reading here.

I've also never been to an audio show but I have a hard time understanding how a room can sound bad. Does the person demonstrating the gear think it sounds bad and they're **** out of luck because of the room? or is it just a preference thing?

Fruff76 likes this.
  2. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

:rolleyes: What a charmer this guy is. “Get off my lawn!!”

Easiest “ignore” I’ve ever hit.

murphythecat, Kristofa and Clay B like this.
  3. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’m in my 40’s

4. Fruff76

I can’t figure that out either. Somehow the L100 managed to sound good without excuses. In fact, they may have had one of the worst rooms there. It was through a sliding door in a suite that was used for the Revel so it was smaller than the other rooms.

5. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Actually I spend NO TIME on Classic Audio forums except to peruse the "Wanted" section. I just know that's where a "Newbie" should go to get opinions based on people that have actually heard/have/had vintage equipment so they aren't buying blind. If somebody wanted lower end gear like PS Audio etc I would send them here. If somebody wanted info on the latest/greatest top dollar gear I would send them to Daily Audiophile for the latest news/reviews etc

6. james

james Summon The Queen

fair enough

7. Fruff76

But they are not looking to buy vintage!

Shawn likes this.
  8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

The more experience and knowledge I gain, the more obvious it is that industry magazines have little interest in informing the consumer about products. Instead they are more interested in marketing wares for manufacturers.

Jim N., Hogues, Whoopycat and 2 others like this.
  9. Fruff76

I agree 100%. Many of the rooms had my wife and I scratching our heads. I saw show reports touting great sound from rooms we walked right out of.

10. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

How do you guys get the sweet spot at these shows for a good listen? Seems most take a random seat in the room. NYC shows I've been to have been like this, sometimes stand-room-only, although Art Dudley did once offer his front/center seat to us when he saw me and my wife standing back by the door.

33na3rd likes this.
  11. Fruff76

Bad weather on Sunday could have reduced the crowd. Even on Saturday we got center seats in most rooms. Towards the end of the show we were in rooms by ourselves.

Shawn and JackG like this.
  12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The Pinto could be a HUGE success - think about it - every single time you got into one - it was an adventurous thrill ride. Will today be the day I get blown into a million pieces. The semi coming a little close in the rear view mirror. Maybe if everyone drives a Pinto - people would keep their damn eyes on the road and not their phones. An 8 car pile up would take out a few city blocks. Weirdly enough - if everyone had to drive a Pinto - there might actually be vastly fewer deaths.

"Drive a Pinto - The White Knuckle Driving Experience." The Slogan is all ready for Ford.

"You went sky-diving last week? Meh - I drive a Pinto!"

13. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

...or simply generating content for themselves. Some sites will be generating AXPONA show reports for the next 2 months.

Shawn, Fruff76 and Kyhl like this.
  14. Fruff76

Good point

15. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Bwahahaha! It's funny 'cuz it's true. I drove a used Pinto of the 'exploding' vintage when I was a teenager. And NO ONE EVER tailgated me.

One time a bus almost did, but the driver (and I saw this all in real time through my rearview mirror) suddenly realized what he was coming up on, and the look of terror on his face was PRICELESS. He immediately backed off, WAAAAY off. :evil:

The marketing campaign writes itself: "Pinto... the car that GUARANTEES your personal space on the road."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    timind, Chris C, Hogues and 1 other person like this.
  16. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

You are resorting to pulling out the generational card? Seriously? You don't even know how old I am. Instead of digging yourself deeper into your pit of nonsense, get out of your house and find a pair to listen to.

Jim N., Slimwhit33 and Shawn like this.
  17. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

What is going on this thread?? Any news on the new EAR phono stage? When it will hit US stores? Also, what kind of electronics was KEF showing their speakers with?

18. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

billion baby claims he has.

hard to believe

Amplification:
    D'agostino Momentum 400, Audio Research 160M, Luxman M900U, Audio Note Jinro, Pass Labs XA25,Audio Research 150M
    Speaker System:
    Joseph Audio Pearl 3 Sapele, Devore Fidelity O96's Wild Cherry, Audio Note E/SPX Alnico Makassar

Fruff76 likes this.
  19. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Amen.

Fruff76 likes this.
  20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

He's certainly come a long way from his first thread on the forum, a little over three years ago.
    This Audiophile Dummy Needs help building a system

Slimwhit33, Shawn, Kristofa and 2 others like this.
  21. Fruff76

That’s just bizarre

Maybe I’m a “youngster” at 43, but I’ve been in this hobby since I was a kid. I’d visit the local shop and chat with the guys and listen to equipment when I was 14 years old. How could your opinion somehow be more valid than mine, when you were calling yourself the audiophile dummy 4 years ago?

22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Does Q Acoustics have an exhibit? ...

23. Fruff76

They probably did, but I didn’t see it. There’s so much stuff it’s almost impossible to see it all

bhazen likes this.
  24. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Yep that's what I have...partly. You forgot the rest.

I just sold my Salk Soundscape 8's on Audio Mart this past weekend and My Joseph Audio Pulsars about 3-4 weeks ago.

If you go on my FB page RIAA AWARD COLLECTORS you will see approx. 3200 of my RIAA Gold/Platinum Record Collection and that's just since 2010. Actually started in 1987 and have collected over 9000 of them. This Stereo Equipment is worth peanuts compared to those.

25. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Haha! Thanks for the idea but I think I’d rather save up more money and hit AXPONA next year.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.