Aynsley Dunbar: Where's the Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnabas Collins, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aynsley Dunbar was also on " A Hard Road " which was the second John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers album (Also the same album featuring Peter Green). The first three Aynsley Dubar albums are worth seeking out. I always thought they were the best English blues band that nobody ever heard of.

He had auditioned for Jimi Hendrix, but Hendrix ended up picking Mitch Mitchell.

One of the top drummers IMHO. His body of work as described in other replys on this thread is formidable.

2. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Pretty serendipitous. Was just listening to Jefferson Starship's Modern Problems today and thinking - "Damn, those drums sound great!". I've always been impressed with everything I've heard him work on.

3. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

Love his playing on "Pin Ups" and "Nils Lofgren"!

4. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Wow, I never knew he drummed in Journey. "Wheel in the Sky" is the ONLY Journey song I like.

He is pretty great on Mick Ronson's first solo album, "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue." (That album, on the whole, is a lost gem.)

5. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Here's the love...I'm a drummer, too, and no had idea until about 10 years ago what a great drummer he was. He was one of the most sought-after guys in the studio for rock and blues, and he has his pick of touring acts in the 70s.
    To hear Aynsley say it, he was fired from Journey for hitting one too many drums during a fill, or some such nonsense. There may have been a pre-existing conflict, as others have mentioned, but I think it was ultimately about him not wanting to play too much of a pop style, although he has certainly played a lot of pocket and straight groove stuff. I never heard about him having a drug problem, but then again, scandalous bios are never written about drummers, they seem only to be written by drummers.

6. Always enjoyed his playing but the rumor that he has a thing for underage girls never set well with me.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Find their first three albums. In particular their s/t debut is more in the fusion/prog vein and has a lot of great drumming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.