B&W Nautilus 805: comments?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomcat, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member Thread Starter

Guys,
    I have read a rave review in Stereophile (http://www.stereophile.com/printarchives.cgi?168) on that speaker. Has anybody listened to it recently? I might be interested to go for it...
    Thanks for your inputs!
    As always: all the best
    Thomas

2. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

I have a pair, and am quite happy with them. I am looking to move onto some Meadowlarks soon though. The 805's are pretty neutral and clean, they do like some power though. I am driving them with 100 mono Kora tube amps. Some like adding a sub, as they do not dip down too low. I find the bass acceptable, especially with the 100 tubes driving them.

3. Vedric

Vedric New Member

I have n805's as surrounds and used them as mains for a period before getting my n803's.

First of all you must have a sub or stereo subs if you value full range sound. I will be using a REL Stadium III under my 803's @ around 33 - 39hz and lower. So naturally 805's will benefit greatly from a sub as well.

Other than the lack of low base, the 805's are exellent sounding speakers. They image very well and honestly arent 'too' demanding on power. Though a higher signal to noise ratio is never a bad thing. just dont blow them up!

If you have the chance, listen to the signature 805's. Ive read nothing but good things about these not only from magazines but individuals as well (havent heard them myself). Much more than cosmetic upgrades with these. They are supposedly very transparent, open and refined.

Take a pair home for audition if you can.

Vedric

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

N805's are a sweet sounding bookshelf. I own the bigger brothers, Nautilus 804's (used for rears).

805's can image like crazy. Although they aren't too demanding for power, the more juice you throw at them will really make them come to life. Don't skimp on a good amp!

The Signature versions would be worth checking out if you can find a pair to listen to. Although more $$ ($3500/pair vs. $2000) you'd be hard pressed to find a better bookshelf IMO.

5. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member Thread Starter

Thank you all for your comments! I guess I should risk a closer look at these babies...
    Happy listening!
    Thomas

6. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

Thomas,

Most definitely audition them. I've listened to them several times and find the highs to be a bit forward for my tastes. In my view, they're best suited with a tube front end. They will also benefit quite a bit from low end reinforcement (sub).

Regards,

Jet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.